Does having 3 points on your licence affect your car insurance costs?

The new guidelines are 10% plus 2, making the lowest speed that you can be fined at in a 70 mph limit79mph , which is what he was doing. He has the option of a course at up to 10% plus 9. That is 86mph.

MOST police forces, though not all, have adopted these rules.

What utter rubbish. I for one would love you to try to back up such a fatuous claim.

What utter rubbish. I for one would love you to try to back up such a fatuous claim.

Just google ACPO speeding guidelines 2011 . Even you should be able to find that.

Just google ACPO speeding guidelines 2011 . Even you should be able to find that.

Having just sat through a speed awareness course where all 27 people in the room had tickets for driving between 33 and 35 mph in a 30 zone I don't need google to tell me the rules. 30 plus 10% plus 2mph means every one of us was below your stated minimum prosecution speed. Even you should be able to work that one out.

On the course we were told that we were the lucky ones, because above 35mph we would have been fined without the option of paying £85 to go on a course. Beyond that had any of us been clocked passing a school at the speed we were doing the option of the course wouldn't apply either.

Having just sat through a speed awareness course where all 27 people in the room had tickets for driving between 33 and 35 mph in a 30 zone I don't need google to tell me the rules. 30 plus 10% plus 2mph means every one of us was below your stated minimum prosecution speed. Even you should be able to work that one out.

On the course we were told that we were the lucky ones, because above 35mph we would have been fined without the option of paying £85 to go on a course. Beyond that had any of us been clocked passing a school at the speed we were doing the option of the course wouldn't apply either.

As previously stated most police forces, though not all, have adopted the rules that I have outlined. Under the guidelines 35mph would be the minimum that you would be fined at in a 30 mph limit. In a 30 mph limit the maximum speed that you could be offered a course at is 42mph.

NB......30 +10% +2 is the minimum speed that you are fined at, not 36mph!

Edited by Tardis

As previously stated most police forces, though not all, have adopted the rules that I have outlined. Under the guidelines 35mph would be the minimum that you would be fined at in a 32 mph limit. In a 30 mph limit the maximum speed that you could be offered a course at is 42mph.

NB......30 +10% +2 is the minimum speed that you are fined at, not 36mph!

I don't think I've ever seen a 32mph limit. Perhaps you need a reality check. Regarding the 42mph in a 30 limit and being offered a course, you are in Dream Land.

There are an awful lot of people on speed awareness courses at speeds way below the ficticious numbers you are quoting.

I don't think I've ever seen a 32mph limit. Perhaps you need a reality check. Regarding the 42mph in a 30 limit and being offered a course, you are in Dream Land.

You will note that I have corrected that to 30mph.....but thank you for pointing it out!;)

Just google.........."Most police forces adopt new speeding guidelines"......and you should see the story right at the top of the list. Shouldn't be too difficult even for you.

Edited by Tardis

Yes- the OH got 3 points and I forgot to include that when I did quotes online, found an insurer, then as she was checking things I told her about the points and the cost rose a fair bit.. can't remember how much by though, sorry.

I once got up to 9 points this was about 7 years ago and this did effect my Insurance but not that much as I thought. It might have changed now....

Just google.........."Most police forces adopt new speeding guidelines"......and you should see the story right at the top of the list. Shouldn't be too difficult even for you.

I don't need Google to tell me the facts. You can find any load of spurious rubbish you like on the internet.

As I said before...Having just sat through a speed awareness course where all 27 people in the room had tickets for driving between 33 and 35 mph in a 30 zone I don't need Google to tell me the rules. 30 plus 10% plus 2mph means every one of us was below your stated minimum prosecution speed. Even you should be able to work that one out.

I was offered 3 options.

1 A £60 fine plus 3 points,

2 A day in court

3 Pay £85 to attend a speed awareness course.

So how does Google explain that?

Edited by oldprune

I don't need Google to tell me the facts. You can find any load of spurious rubbish you like on the internet.

As I said before...Having just sat through a speed awareness course where all 27 people in the room had tickets for driving between 33 and 35 mph in a 30 zone I don't need Google to tell me the rules. 30 plus 10% plus 2mph means every one of us was below your stated minimum prosecution speed. Even you should be able to work that one out.

I was offered 3 options.

1 A £60 fine plus 3 points,

2 A day in court

3 Pay £85 to attend a speed awareness course.

So how does Google explain that?

No you were not all under the minimum speed limit that I had quoted for prosecution. You are not paying attention.

personally i would do the course,never know when a clean license will be required