Does having 3 points on your licence affect your car insurance costs?

OK, I been a naughty boy, I got caught doing 79mph on a motorway and now I have a choice.

I can go on a speed awareness course or I can have 3 points on my licence.

If I go for the speed awareness course it will cost £85, however if I go for the 3 points it will cost £60 and 3 points.

On paper it seems the £60 is the obvious punishment, however if I have 3 points does this mean I have to pay more for car insurances premiums?

Obviously, we want to keep our household costs down, and the last thing we want is a silly hike in our insurance because of a minor speeding offence

Points on your licence used to be a very bad thing but a lot of insurers these days, so I've found anyway, dismiss thew first three IF they're from an SP30. I'm not sure on SP50 (which is what your code will be).

Most people recommend taking the course though. End of the day £25 so you don't have to tell your insurance that you've got points for the next 3 yrs is more than worth it.

Do the awareness course otherwise you are likely to find that your insurance costs do rise quite considerably.

Do the awareness course otherwise you are likely to find that your insurance costs do rise quite considerably.

Is that true?

Have other people found this to be the case?

Yes the points will affect your insurance, you have to disclose them for 5 yrs. It will cost you more in your insurance than doing the course, also by taking the course you do not have to tell your insurers.

Guest sibon

It is also more difficult to get online quotations if you have points on your licence. This may well add to your costs at renewal time as you will find it more difficult to pin down the best deal.

The course isn't so bad anyway.

Do the course. I had this predicament. Your car insurance will go up.

Annoying thing is that the course is more expensive, but people are prepared to pay it. The course isn't so bad :)

It didn't affect the cost of my insurance or affect the price of any single insurance quotation I got when I had 3 points. I tried on comparison websites with and without just to see. I didn't have the option of the course.

I only got rid if mine last August.

However if you get caught for speeding again, the 6 points in total probably will.

I'd do the course, even tho I was £25 better off for not doing it.

I'd do the course, yes it's £25.00 more, but as others have said you have to disclose motoring offences when getting insurance for a few years, and they also stay on your licence for a few years so if you haven't learnt your lesson and are caught speeding again you will then be in fear of any more points and ultimately a ban (obviously if it becomes a regular occurance, but with the amount of cameras around these days....)

Given the choice i would always go with the option of keeping a clean licence. £25 is nothing if it saves you an insurance hike or worse in the long run

I'd have to agree with the consensus: do the course, stave off the possibility of an insurer loading your premium at some time in the next 5 years (insurers will look to get back in profit) AND give yourself a chance to learn something.

Is that true?

Have other people found this to be the case?

You are supposed to report the incident to your insurance company if you take the points but not if you take the course. Now whether they would increase the premium is debatable. However if 12 months down the line you pick up another 3 points they certainly will and 3 points on your license simply takes you 3 points nearer to a ban.

I nearly forgot. You do get 2 nice cups of coffee and some biscuits for your £25.