The old Northern General Hospital

I was a Pupil Nurse there 75-77 and can remember helping at Mr Pratts cathetar clinic - not for the faint hearted. In charge of the School of nursing at that time was a Mrs Iyengar (think thats how you spell it). The hospital was like a little village , i lived in the nurses home and was a frequent visitor to the social club. There was even a spar shop on site and the staff restaurant was open 24hrs a day . What was called the geriatric block had a magnificent staircase - is it still there ?

I was a Pupil Nurse there 75-77 and can remember helping at Mr Pratts cathetar clinic - not for the faint hearted. In charge of the School of nursing at that time was a Mrs Iyengar (think thats how you spell it). The hospital was like a little village , i lived in the nurses home and was a frequent visitor to the social club. There was even a spar shop on site and the staff restaurant was open 24hrs a day . What was called the geriatric block had a magnificent staircase - is it still there ?

The staircase is still there - the building is known as the clocktower building. the clock has recently been restored and chimes the quarter hour during daylight hours.

---------- Post added 26-01-2013 at 23:45 ----------

I did my nurse training at N G H.and worked on ward 16. the sisters were, gregory. green and wellbourn.the sen's were carrera.( not sure of spelling)Beech and one other who for the life of me can not remember her name. the nursing officer was miss hubble.

I believe that Sister Gregory was a nun - didn't she wear the nuns 'headgear' ?

Sister Green was a large lady and Sister Welbourn even larger from memory.

Miss Hubble was almost military in stature and extremely strict. I remember her attending a cardiac arrest that I was involved in and she told me off because I wasn't wearing my hat (it had got knocked off in the rush to save the mans life) and I was performing CPR at the time ! Her priorities were a little skued on that day I think !

My Mum worked in that building on ward 42.

Names I remember are George Tankard

Doreen Davidson

Helen nurse who married Tankard

Angel

Jean Campbell

People in charge if I remember correctly Mrs Blizzard and Miss Snow.

This was in the 70's

sister gregory was not a nun.she wore the navy dress a white frilly cap.as all the other sisters. miss Hubble really did have her priorties wrong.too many issues to mention. my mother also worked on ward 42.norah minott. there was also lucy an Italian lady.

sister gregory was not a nun.she wore the navy dress a white frilly cap.as all the other sisters. miss Hubble really did have her priorties wrong.too many issues to mention. my mother also worked on ward 42.norah minott. there was also lucy an Italian lady.

My Mum knew Nora Minott and Lucy.

The ward sisters name was Margaret Shaw.

My mum did her training there pre war and was at hospital during war

She used to say most feared person was Matron who was the law what she said was right

My Mum spent a lot of time as a paitient on ward 40 where sister Nuttall was in charge my mum used to write poems about them all

The most obvious was nuttalls mintoes (do these still exist) and Dr Ryan was her consultant

When she left to go into a care home turned out sister Nuttall was Matron there made her last 18 months very happy

I was mistaken that Siste rGregory wore the nuns 'headgear' but I'm sure that she was nun - I remember having a conversation with her once about her calling to the church.

Probley had the best social club in Sheffield absolutley brilliant dont know why it shut down :confused:

I was born at the NGH in 1954 when it was the old City General Hospital. I used to live nearby in Pitsmoor so the hospital was always within sight. I also had to walk (yes walk) there when I sprained my ankle when I was 12!

In 1976, I obtained the post of shorthand typist in the x-ray department and came to know some of the doctors. I do remember Mr Lunt who scared the living daylights out of everybody he met he was so nasty. I remember that most people called him 'Lunt, the ****' (rhymes with)! Also, Dr Flint who once reduced me to a gibbering wreck just by asking me to read a report dictated to me by one of the doctors in radiography!

Also, I think my aunty, Rita Peace, may have been a Matron at the good old Northern General sometime, possibly in the 50s and 60s. She was apparently a typical matron, much more frightening than the ones the lovely Hattie Jacques played in the Carry Ons! :)

Probley had the best social club in Sheffield absolutley brilliant dont know why it shut down :confused:

To make way for the new regional Spinal Injuries Unit.

Does anyone remember the old Northern General Hospital? I was visiting today and drove around the hospital trying to remember where I spent a lot of my childhood on the children's ward. I remember driving up to it and the barrier was operated by a little person for years.

I spent some time there in the late 70's early 80's and loved it. I have fond memories of the ward with picture lights above the beds and the large matron/sister in charge (forgotton her name now).

It looks like most of it has been replaced..where were the old children's wards, have they been knocked down?

When I was a kid it was called the City General.

Hi Carruthers - after a bit of Googling I found several references to a Dr H. Blacow Yates who was a senior consultant surgeon in Sheffield, and was also Chairman of Sheffield United. See here for an obituary (scroll down to the second page).

The obituary makes reference to his eccentric nature and sense of humour and it seems it was all true. I'm currently reading the autobiography of Alan Hodgkinson, the United goalie, and he tells about how the team was promised 'something for a rainy day' by Dr Blacow Yates as a bonus for gaining promotion in 1961. After weeks of speculation as to how much their bonus might be worth, they were each presented with a raincoat and a barometer!

Apparently it didn't go down very well.