The old Northern General Hospital

Oh what fond memories I remember all the names mentioned. Does anyone remember Sr Yeomans 5b wonderful person + Sr Clarke 5A.  Also  Sr (red lips) Coverdale ward 12 + Sr Patterson  Ward 22, friend of Sr Russ who reportedly died unexpectedly at her place whilst visiting.  Sr Russ was indeed one of the best- RIP.  I worked on Cardio Thoracic Surgery 2c for a while once qualified with Marlene (Cobb) Jeavons. Her lovely mum being one of the tutors.  

Edited by Malison
Typo

18 hours ago, gaz 786 said:

The old clock tower was haunted I know that for a fact ...

Fact: a thing that is known or proved to be true

Care to re-phrase your comment?

19 hours ago, gaz 786 said:

Lol. What a comedian.

My wife Chris Moore was on the old ITU at NGH (ward 2a ?) which transferred to a new Cardiothoracic Post Operative ITU  around 1970; the Cardiothoracic consultant was Geoff Smith, a really nice man who I think finished up as Cardiothoracic Professor  at Guys. Chris was a Sister there until we left Sheffield in  1976.

On 19/01/2019 at 16:08, gaz 786 said:

While working nights has a porter we got a call from the canteen staff in the clock tower who said thing were flying of the shelves. When we got there some of the staff and a couple of nurses were stood outside they said metal containers just started flying around we very nervously had a look inside and saw an empty trolley it's contents all over the floor. We personally see anything but the women did seem terrified.

On 20/01/2019 at 18:17, hobinfoot said:

While working nights has a porter we got a call from the canteen staff in the clock tower who said thing were flying of the shelves. When we got there some of the staff and a couple of nurses were stood outside they said metal containers just started flying around we very nervously had a look inside and saw an empty trolley it's contents all over the floor. We personally see anything but the women did seem terrified.

I worked nights on the old wards on the Vickers corridor for many years.

I could write a book about the 'odd' things that happened on occasions during the night.

I can recall being told about one particular ward where all the pots being stored in a cupboard in the kitchen ended up on the floor in the middle of the night. I believed that the ward had to be exorcised - mainly because staff refused to work on there

I can't say I'm a big believer in such things and always try to find a logical reason why something had happened - but sometimes there just wasn't a reason........

On 20/01/2019 at 12:54, johnpm said:

My wife Chris Moore was on the old ITU at NGH (ward 2a ?) which transferred to a new Cardiothoracic Post Operative ITU  around 1970; the Cardiothoracic consultant was Geoff Smith, a really nice man who I think finished up as Cardiothoracic Professor  at Guys. Chris was a Sister there until we left Sheffield in  1976.

Sadly Geoff Smith passed away about a year ago. He continued to work at the NGH until his retirement. 

On 22/01/2019 at 13:23, gene said:

Sadly Geoff Smith passed away about a year ago. He continued to work at the NGH until his retirement. 

Thanks Gene

I can identify well with the situation on nights! I started my training exactly 50 years ago this month and after 6 months was put on nights on wards with an auxilliary nurse as they were known then and a night sister popped on and off the ward during the night to check on you!  The auxilliary nurses were brilliant at showing us the ropes and keeping us calm ! Talk about sink or swim! though the sister was always at the end of a phone or bleep.

Are there any others on here who started training at the same time? My maiden name was Ahern, I have lost touch with almost all of them as I moved to Derbyshire in 1978. It would be great to hear from anyone who started in September 1971.

I was a student nurse in the 1960s. When there was a Matrons inspection round she would walk around every ward with the ward sister behind her .She would run her finger along a window sill if it looked dirty , and if it was, she would tell the ward sister to “ get it cleaned immediately “ . Bring back the old matrons !