The old Northern General Hospital

Has my tonsils out there in the 1950s when it was a standard requirement for kids to have the op. Still remember those three days I spent in the hospital.

My wife Chris Moore started in the Premature Baby Unit in summer 1968 & in early 1969 moved on to Intensive Care (at that time Ward 2A). Shortly afterwards the new Cardio Thoracic Post Operative Intensive Care Unit was built & she moved to that as soon as it opened becoming a Sister in 1970. Geoff Smith was the consultant surgeon on there & was a really nice man willing to talk to everyone. Other names were Sister Murgatroyd & Auxilliaries Brenda Allcock & Pashley. It was a really friendly place to work.

Chris stayed there until we left Sheffield in summer 1976 & has many happy memories of times there.

I remember nursing Miss Bronks brother.

Mick Fiennes and David Parr were like a comedy duo when they got together.

My first ward was 5A in Oct 72 and Mick was a C/N on 4A by then. He asked me what the 'J' on my badge stood for and I told him it was 'Jemima' so he called me 'Jemmy' for the rest of my days there....even after he found out it was a lie lol.

Loved my time at NGH - it was like a little village where you knew most of the people.

Now it looks like a sprawling metropolis!

I too remember Mick Fiennes - he used to sit in his office smoking his pipe !

The NGH was and still is like a small town - it is a very friendly place to work.

I remember a few names from the 70s

David Parr 5A. He had a sister who was a staff nurse.

Herbert Pratt 6B

Sr Callear 6A

Sr Baines 9A

Sr Coverdale 12

FO'G and Annie ? and the dog he used to take all over

Miss Bronks

Phil and Janet Norcliffe

The terrible trio of Sr Hole, Sr Danks and Sr ? in A&E

Mr Lunt who used to leave his patients in tears he could be so nasty

What was the name of the C/N on 4A (? Mick Fines)...he was nice

Sister Baynes ! She put the fear of God into every Student Nurse but she was (and is) actually a very nice lady.

Only a few years ago she visited a patient on my ward and I had quite a chat with her. She doesn't look any older albeit grey now.

Sister Baynes ! She put the fear of God into every Student Nurse but she was (and is) actually a very nice lady.

Only a few years ago she visited a patient on my ward and I had quite a chat with her. She doesn't look any older albeit grey now.

If she is Sister Joyce Baines, she lives a stonesthrow from me. A really nice lady.

Yes - Sister Green, a lovely person. There was also the rather eccentric auxiliary on 16, Miss Shand (who lived to the ripe old age of 92) and a feisty cleaner, Mrs Duke. The orderly on 17, Mrs Spencer, was a big, buxom Jamaican whom everyone loved - she was the life and soul of the ward. Herbert Pratt (charge nurse, 6B) didn't bother to hide meals in the pantry - he used to order his favourite meal and enjoy it in his office...:P

If she was Sister Joyce Green, she lived in my street and I knew her quite well, and her daughter too. Sadly Joyce is no longer with us.

If she is Sister Joyce Baines, she lives a stonesthrow from me. A really nice lady.

Yes her name was Joyce. Don't know about Sr Green as I didn't have much to do with her, I did nights on 16.

Sr Baines used to lead us all in prayer every morning.

We all stood at the top of the ward and prayed. Some of the patients once objected but she soon shut them up!

She had a fearsome reputation. It was my second ward and my first surgical experience, but I found her very nice and supportive.

She must be in her 80s now? Although as an 18 year old all the sisters seemed very old to me :hihi: and she may have only been in her 30s or 40s in 1972.

I also really liked Sr Russ although she too could be very strict.

If you liked babies, Sr Russ liked you.

Wondered why I have heard no mention my mother-in law Alice Downs SEN or any of her colleagues, she was a nurse at the Northern General from the early sixties to the mid seventies. Probably because she worked permanent nights in Keeble, one of the mental & sub-normal wards (what do they call them now??) so very little contact with the general public. Were these the 'forgotten wards' with no fond memories and few positive outcomes to recall?

Wondered why I have heard no mention my mother-in law Alice Downs SEN or any of her colleagues, she was a nurse at the Northern General from the early sixties to the mid seventies. Probably because she worked permanent nights in Keeble, one of the mental & sub-normal wards (what do they call them now??) so very little contact with the general public. Were these the 'forgotten wards' with no fond memories and few positive outcomes to recall?

I can't remember any of my fellow students actually working on any of the psych wards at NGH.

Never heard of Keeble though- it was wards 14 and 15 that were psych units when I was there AFAICR

Hi, I was Dep. Catering Officer under Mrs Ma Moody in the 1960's. She was responsible for Firvale during the war when Dunkirk evacuees arrived. In My time Dickinson was the Gov.

Mr Jepson the hall porter, his daughter married Charles Bennet , Head chef. Miss Jopling was the matron. 'Chuckey Heggs'was the security officer.

I did my nurse training at N G H.and worked on ward 16. the sisters were, gregory. green and wellbourn.the sen's were carrera.( not sure of spelling)Beech and one other who for the life of me can not remember her name. the nursing officer was miss hubble.

My Grandmother did her nurses training and worked up to matron at the Northern Gwen Crisp then Gwen Kitterringham if anyone remembers her?