Honeypie - new tea shop/cafe - Now Closed :(

went a few weeks ago to honey pie, and it was like sitting in a creche,but what put us off was the lady trying the soup and then putting the same spoon back in to give it a stir, first n last

Sadly this is so often the case with small businesses,they tend to open and close based more on their own personal needs rather than the business,you don't see costa/starbucks doing this.

Apparently they are closing early two nights this week!

Costa will be open soon and at least we will know where we are with regard to their opening and closing times.

Apparently they are closing early two nights this week!

Costa will be open soon and at least we will know where we are with regard to their opening and closing times.

Yes, you really never know when the place shall be shut, open, or some halfway house where they turn customers away then keep the front door open, with lights on, for hours afterwards.

Hi

Just thought would clarify our opening times.

Tuesday-11-4.30,weds-fri 10-4.30 and saturdays 10.30-5. The reason you may see lights on after closing is because, believe it or not I actually am there til at least 6.30 cleaning. Cafes dont clean themselves when they shut!! I apologise if my opening times vary but I run this buisness on my own and have a family, sometimes stuff comes up and I have no choice. It seems that this thread-which I have only visited twice-has some contributors intent on nit picking rather than being supportive, if it is not your-pardon the pun-cup of tea that is fine and I thank you for at least giving it a chance but really, do you need to put negativity on here?

Hi

Just thought would clarify our opening times.

Tuesday-11-4.30,weds-fri 10-4.30 and saturdays 10.30-5. The reason you may see lights on after closing is because, believe it or not I actually am there til at least 6.30 cleaning. Cafes dont clean themselves when they shut!! I apologise if my opening times vary but I run this buisness on my own and have a family, sometimes stuff comes up and I have no choice. It seems that this thread-which I have only visited twice-has some contributors intent on nit picking rather than being supportive, if it is not your-pardon the pun-cup of tea that is fine and I thank you for at least giving it a chance but really, do you need to put negativity on here?

I think some people are trying to give you advice (some of which might be quite critical) on how you might compete with the likes of Costa, and what might need to change.

Unfortunately, it's not the customers' responsibility to observe family/time/positivity constraints you might want to (or have to) apply yourself. If the reactionary comments like the above are anything to go by, then the cafe might struggle to win over customers who can get service without the 'baggage' at the chain cafe over the road. Personally, I think if Honeypie opens from 10-4.30 most days, custom will slip away to the competition, which will no doubt be opening from early till late (if it is granted a licence to trade in HRP). Cafe des Amis already opens late and has more seating, plus it's more competitively priced (on large sized cups of coffee too), so at present this is the major competition. As such it gets more of my custom.

Costa's planning application has not been granted yet, having said the above - I think a decision's due in March from what can be found online.

Edited by alas_alas

I wish you well not easy running your own business but you have to listen to your customers feedback good and bad.

"Feedback is the breakfast of champions" a good line to remember in business.

As a vegetarian i think i am well catered for i do like the veggie sausage sarnies at the honey pie

My wife is due to meet an old friend at Honeypie tomorrow but has just been informed it may have shut down ,is this the case? We did try to go last Friday but it was closed which did seem a bit odd.

There's always Tea With Percie not five minutes walk away on Abbeydale Road.

Or Jamesons Tea Rooms (a little further down)

Or even Steel City Cakes. All offer fabulous food and are run by lovely people!

---------- Post added 07-03-2014 at 10:02 ----------

I think some people are trying to give you advice (some of which might be quite critical) on how you might compete with the likes of Costa, and what might need to change.

THIS IS CRUCIAL information for cafe owners! Sheffield Forum is a massive resource for businesses and I really shake my head at companies who don't use it to the fullest - even if it's just to let people know you exist, that should be the absolute minimum you're doing on here.

At best, you can use it to promote events, give discounts and generally show people you mean business.

Really I cannot state this enough!

Agree with Karis.

We thought Honeypie was nice enough but clearly Costa is spacious, consistent quality and is ideally placed for families who`ve been to Matalan, Boots or the like (don`t need to trek across A61).

Sad when any small business shuts down, maybe more effort than it was worth.

I do think businesses should be aware of what forums are like and take heed of what some of the customers say. Rather than just criticism its an opportunity to learn how to improve and with that comes happier customers, repeat business and hopefully more profit.