Sharps - where do I dispose of them

Hi, where can we dispose of sharps in Sheffield? Is there a place to take them to dispose legally / responsibly?

thanks

I think that most pharmacists would accept them or you could try your GP surgery. if it is for prescription medication eg insulin you can arrange clinical waste collection via the council

Needle exchange at pharmacy. There's one on the wicker and one on london road

My gp would only take my sharps if they were self contained needles so I would ring them to check :)

One of our neighbours has a sharps refuse bin on the driveway which has a regular collection for incinerating waste via the council.

Are you likely to have a regular amount (even one or two a week) which will need to be disposed of?

If you are then I'd suggest talking to a pharmacy about getting a small sharps box, which can then be accepted by the pharmacy for disposal without risk of needle injuries.

Are sharps just needles? or maybe the OP has some blades to dispose of. just a thought

There is a place on Bramall Lane if you want to get rid of rusty, tired old knakered blades.

thanks for the info everyone. It was an elderly (ex)tennant who moved out and then we found a sharps box and a couple of bags with used swabs etc. from taking medicalion etc. I'll take the sharps to the Wicker chemist as suggested. Thanks.

But where do I dispose of the biological waste bag safely / responsibly?

I asked about this in a branch of Boots. They said pharmacies have to be licensed to accept sharps. The two branches of Boots with the licence in Sheffield are West Street and the Moor.

Hugh

thanks for the info everyone. It was an elderly (ex)tennant who moved out and then we found a sharps box and a couple of bags with used swabs etc. from taking medicalion etc. I'll take the sharps to the Wicker chemist as suggested. Thanks.

But where do I dispose of the biological waste bag safely / responsibly?

I asked a local nursing home if i could stick ours in their yellow bins when we had the same issue, and they let us

ETA: The yellow haz-bags, not sharps!

Edited by lillyland
clarification

I know this is a very old thread but does anyone know if Lloyds on London road will dispose of sharps. Can I just turn up with them or do i have to ring first to arrange it. They are in a sharps box just don't know what to do with them so there sat in the house collecting dust.

Cheers Ben