Santa train elsecar..

has anyone taken the kiddies on the santa train at elsecar?? its expensive at £30 for a family of 4 but if its good i wouldnt mind taking the kids.

I really would not do it. For £30.00 you can do a lot on your own to make your children have a fantastic Christmas.

How long does it last and what's included?

We went a couple of years ago when my grandchildren were over from New Zealand. They thought it was great (aged 8 and 5 at the time) though they were equally impressed by the snow and ice, being the first time they had seen it!! There was a proper Santa though, not the skinny weedy ones that are usually seen in the grottos. This was a proper fat one who had a chat to all the kids as the pressys were dished out. And the adults got a minature baileys which was well received as it was a freezing cold day. We got the first train and had to scrape the ice off the windows...from the inside!!

In terms of monetary value...it probably isn't worth it, but then how many of the grottos are?

The difference is...Santa comes to the kids as opposed to them standing in a queue and parents can be part of it (with a bit of a train ride and a baileys)

As far as I recall, its all run by volunteers and the money is ploughed back into extending the line past Hemmingfield, which they have started to do. They also do Halloween and Thomas the Tank rides.

Hope you enjoy it as much as we did if you decide to go for it.....word of warning though...don't get the first train...just in case!!

We went on it last year with a range of children from 3-12 years including a wheelchair user. It was lovely, the santa was great and the gifts were really good, not sure if it was just a fluke, but everything was perfect for each child :D

Of course, there were some downsides, we thought we'd got there fairly early but the train was packed already, we were very lucky to get the last compatment rather than a table (the tables looked lovely btw, my son is disabled and can get a bit overexcited and screamy, didnt want to ruin anyone elses day!). You also only go a few minutes down the track, then just go backwards and forwards for a bit, little ones dont realise but the grown ups and older kids did haha.

I'm trying to talk my daughter into wanting to go again this year for her birthday treat :D