Who will fit tyres bought on line in Sheffield

Thanks to everyone who's actually given me answers to the question I asked. I'll be sure to try a few of them.

To all you other internet warriors. Which part of my original question did you misinterpret as me asking for a moral lesson.

Also, Do you think it's reasonable for anyone to pay £30 over the odds for each tyre just so that some tyre shop can make more profit? Especially when these places are probably just massive chain stores. If I can find something cheaper that is of equal/better quality, I tend to go for it. That's just good sense and I'm sure you would too if you weren't on some holier than thou mission.

Anyway, why would I want to open I tyre shop? I never once said that I knew everything about fitting tyres. I merely said that a good fitter can do 4 tyres in 20 mins and that it doesn't take much skill as a job. Do you think any one of those 16 yo tyre fitters you see working in the garages got more than about 30 mins tuition to do it? I doubt it. That's probably why they tend to lose your locking wheel nuts or dust caps half the time.

If businesses don't adapt to changing markets then they fail. That's the way of the world. Or do you think we should have RULES in place to stop people shopping online for cheaper goods? Maybe we should shut down the online tyre shops. Why not shut down iTunes while you're at it to protect poor little HMV...

What would you say was a suitable level or remuneration for a tyre shop for fitting and balancing a tyre?

Stop trolling on the internet and do something useful with your time.

Try Steve Bennett, Kilton Hill, off Burngreave Rd.

Try Steve Bennett, Kilton Hill, off Burngreave Rd.

Another one to add to the list tomorrow.

I'll give them all a ring and report back. Cheers

try the breakers yard,back of Ecclesfield police station.He should be cheap enough,you can get a decent tyre off him,fitted for a tenner so he can't charge you too much.:loopy:

Fiver a corner? Could that be why they are closing down? You buy your tyres online and expect somone to fit them for next to nothing. Unfortuneately this is happening in all lines of business and this is why a lot of them are closing down. They have to sell goods to make money, making money pays wages and other overheads and makes a profit. This is what keeps them in business. They don't work for nothing.

dont be a humbug £5 a corner is good it is only labour no materiels needed unles weights are used:loopy:

That's why I'm not asking them to do it for nothing. I've said I'll pay a reasonable amount.

A good tyre fitter can fit and balance 4 tyres in about 15-20 mins. If I paid him £20 at £5 a corner that's £60-£80 per hour. That doesn't sound like a bad living to me. Also, if I go through the trouble of acquiring the tyres and taking them to him he doesn't even need to store them. Less stock means less space needed, less stock going out of date, less admin.

Yes they have to buy equipment/have premisses etc but I'm not paying a basically unskilled worker over £240 per hour to fit my tyres.

Get off your high horse and don't bother posting anything if you're not going to give a constructive answer.

good for you man!!!!:hihi:

try the breakers yard,back of Ecclesfield police station.He should be cheap enough,you can get a decent tyre off him,fitted for a tenner so he can't charge you too much.:loopy:

£5 per corner at ECC or there is also one opposite Corner Pin on Carlisle St

Hutchinsons at the end of the malin bridge one way loop, £8 per tyre, done loads for me and always very good.

This is getting better and better. Hutchinsons is just at the end of my road. Brilliant!

Daves on Ribston road Darnall near kettlebridge,does a good job.been there for years=down to earth and nothing fancy-one of the Lads.

Fiver a corner? Could that be why they are closing down? You buy your tyres online and expect somone to fit them for next to nothing. Unfortuneately this is happening in all lines of business and this is why a lot of them are closing down. They have to sell goods to make money, making money pays wages and other overheads and makes a profit. This is what keeps them in business. They don't work for nothing.

That won't be reason, ECC charge that and they aren't closing down

That won't be reason, ECC charge that and they aren't closing down

Exactly. Buying tyres elsewhere and having them fitted is totally legitimate. What if you had a track day car and wanted to swap tyres round? What if you wanted to put your winter tyres on and swap them with your summer types? Do you guys saying we're destroying their businesses expect people to be always buying brand new tyres?