'Racist' on the London tram

I suspect that the woman who retaliated has had her fair share of racial abuse and the racially abused (and other victims of abuse) usually build up a little arsenal of such retorts for these situations. It is a defence mechanism.

So a racist reply can be justified by provocation?

I think the black woman was trying to articulate, rather ham-fistedly, the reasons why immigrants were drafted into Britain in the 50's and are still a vital part of our social and economic infrastructure in response to someone spewing invective rather irrationally.

And I agree. Which is why I said earlier that the reply was racist in content if not intent. However, were the roles reversed, i doubt anyone would be in such a hurry to defend a white woman expressing a similar opinion.

So a racist reply can be justified by provocation?

Now you're trying to twist what I said to get me to admit that the woman in the video may have been provoked blah blah blah. Reread what I said. When you have experience of being abused you build up an arsenal of retorts. What do you expect? People to take all kinds of racist insults hurled in their direction and stroll on and ignore them? Have you ever been racially abused?

I think the black woman was trying to articulate, rather ham-fistedly, the reasons why immigrants were drafted into Britain in the 50's and are still a vital part of our social and economic infrastructure in response to someone spewing invective rather irrationally.

I don't know if she would know about UK immigration history - she was African, and so would more than likely have arrived in the UK in the last few years... She appeared to be defending her right to be in the UK as she will take any work, whereas the whites don't want work - That is a pretty racist thing to say, and shows her up to be someone with a lack of understanding of the country she has relocated to... Not really a great thing in her favour, but this is possibly a opinion she keeps to herself most of the time, just thought she'd share it when a fellow racist was ranting in her presence...

I am with Boy Friday on this, that comment was directed solely at the woman in question and as Shims has said, she did not qualify it with the prefix 'white'. Perhaps she meant chavs? Working classes? Who knows for sure. However, the fact is that when provoked like that, as we saw, we all say things that we sometimes do not mean. I can imagine for instance that if a group of men were 'dissing' (to use my kids' slang) women and ranting at me and a bunch of other women, making overtly misogynistic statements, I could quite easily see myself retorting along the lines of 'eff off, all men are rapists' or words to that effect. I don't believe it but would say it for maximum effect.

I suspect that the woman who retaliated has had her fair share of racial abuse and the racially abused (and other victims of abuse) usually build up a little arsenal of such retorts for these situations. It is a defence mechanism.

This goes back to my original point in that we all say things in the heat of the moment. I don't think the black woman meant an individual or social class, she mean't white..That's for sure. But its understandable for her to react in this way... I don't think the black woman is a racist, but I think she said a racist thing, that she probably doesn't mean, and may well regret, when her white friends see it..

There's too much intolerance about IMO.

Intolerance of the intolerant, is still intolerance...:huh::D

Wow - that is all I have to say... I have never retaliated with anything I did not believe... As they say about drunks being more honest (lack of inhibition) anger creates honesty too... People rarely say what they don't really mean when they are angry, in my experience... Often interesting to see what those who you thought you knews opinions are on some things...

Have you never said anything deliberately hurtful, that you didn't really believe, to a a partner in the middle of a blazing row?

Ignoring something doesn't mean that it hasn't created an emotional reaction.

But you don't know they had an emotional response yet you suggested that she angered the majority when there is clearly no evidence to support your stance.

And I agree. Which is why I said earlier that the reply was racist in content if not intent. However, were the roles reversed, i doubt anyone would be in such a hurry to defend a white woman expressing a similar opinion.

It's hard to immediately imagine a situation where the roles might be reversed-I guess the closest are the Islamist extremists who seem to make a habit out of offending the families of dead and serving soldiers, however I've yet to see anyone defending their right to do so. Their arses are routinely kicked metaphorically and they are rightly vilified universally.

Exactly....

I'm not so sure about that.

Have you never said anything deliberately hurtful, that you didn't really believe, to a a partner in the middle of a blazing row?

Got to be honest - no... Nothing that was really horrible to someone else - why would I? There are a few people those close to me love to bits, but I find rancid! I keep this under my hat... What exactly would I gain, apart from the upset of those I love...

But you don't know they had an emotional response yet you suggested that she angered the majority when there is clearly no evidence to support your stance.

I think any reasonable person would have an emotional reaction to witnessing anti social behaviour in a confined space, whether it be football hooligans in a pub, or political protesters rampaging on our city streets. Even people sympathetic with her view would have been unhappy that she created a hostile and unpredictable atmosphere and wished she'd have kept her gob shut.