'Racist' on the London tram

Whether there was provocation or not, her tirade was arbitrary and generalised-directed at a whole group of people. Conversely the responses were directed solely at her-not whites generally or other white passengers on the tram.

Only if you chose to believe that the woman was referring to the white mother individually. I find that hard to believe, and if you're honest BF, you will accept that too.

Lol!

You really are straining there

Not in the slightest. You jumped to a huge conclusion based on assumption. Not the first assumption you've made ... media manipulation. :rolleyes:

It may well have blown over much faster, but the grievance had already been created and members of the public would naturally want to respond to it.

It's a naive view that suggests in such situations people behave rationally-the woman had succeeded in angering the majority of the passengers on the carriage, all of whom behaved impeccably in my opinion. The first complainant was perfectly within her moral right to challenge the trouble causer on several issues, but the one she chose was the upset it was causing to her children and other minors on the tram..I'm sure you would agree that the wellbeing of children is paramount in such situations?

..would you like to bring your mother round so I can stand her in a corner and eff & blind at her without recourse?

I must have watched the wrong video because the majority appeared to ignore it.

Only if you chose to believe that the woman was referring to the white mother individually. I find that hard to believe, and if you're honest BF, you will accept that too.

It would be a reach in anyones mind not to see the black woman as a racist too - But then, as I said before, she was keeping her mealy mouthed thoughts and opinions on white people and their not wanting work (??? What colour does she think the bulk of politicians and bankers in the city of London are? Sky Blue Pink with Yellow spots?) to herself prior to meeting a fellow 'genius' on the tram and having a meeting of minds...

I must have watched the wrong video because the majority appeared to ignore it.

Ignoring something doesn't mean that it hasn't created an emotional reaction.

..spineless wimp.

So a public rant is wrong but violence is acceptable.:huh:

At last equality in something...!

I am with Boy Friday on this, that comment was directed solely at the woman in question and as Shims has said, she did not qualify it with the prefix 'white'. Perhaps she meant chavs? Working classes? Who knows for sure. However, the fact is that when provoked like that, as we saw, we all say things that we sometimes do not mean. I can imagine for instance that if a group of men were 'dissing' (to use my kids' slang) women and ranting at me and a bunch of other women, making overtly misogynistic statements, I could quite easily see myself retorting along the lines of 'eff off, all men are rapists' or words to that effect. I don't believe it but would say it for maximum effect.

I suspect that the woman who retaliated has had her fair share of racial abuse and the racially abused (and other victims of abuse) usually build up a little arsenal of such retorts for these situations. It is a defence mechanism.

Not in the slightest. You jumped to a huge conclusion based on assumption. Not the first assumption you've made ... media manipulation. :rolleyes:

For the record, I never assumed that this clip was subject to media manipulation, what I said was that knowing what we do about media manipulation and editing etc., accepting anything at face value is naive. But I'm glad that one, tiny part of my post has given you so much entertainment :)

I would also suggest that the assumption I jumped to was anything but huge - I believe anybody who is honest with themselves will take the same inference from the black womans reply that I have.

I think the black woman was trying to articulate, rather ham-fistedly, the reasons why immigrants were drafted into Britain in the 50's and are still a vital part of our social and economic infrastructure in response to someone spewing invective rather irrationally.

So a public rant is wrong but violence is acceptable.:huh:

Did I say that? I was just seizing the opportunity to insult you gratuitously.

I can imagine for instance that if a group of men were 'dissing' (to use my kids' slang) women and ranting at me and a bunch of other women, making overtly misogynistic statements, I could quite easily see myself retorting along the lines of 'eff off, all men are rapists' or words to that effect.

Wow - that is all I have to say... I have never retaliated with anything I did not believe... As they say about drunks being more honest (lack of inhibition) anger creates honesty too... People rarely say what they don't really mean when they are angry, in my experience... Often interesting to see what those who you thought you knews opinions are on some things...

However, what does concern me is that this kind of covert surveillance is being carried out of private citizens and being posting it on Youtube without the permission of the people involved. I'm sure that most of those other passengers are horrified at appearing on Youtube. It's very

dangerous and the person who took this footage was wrong to post it, in my view.

I expect that very shortly, we we will see signs plastered everywhere requesting people not to film.

I agree with this, I wanted security cameras on my house but was advised by the police that any images captured on the public road would be inadmissible unless I had a licence to film public places.