How to restore a hearth stone?

Hi,

I am sanding the floors in my home in crookes and wondering what to do about the old hearth stone. I cant find any information online about how to restore or clean them (Im not keen on removing it)

Here is a picture so you can see its condition:

http://nugrafik.com/hearth

Has anyone restored theirs? Or know what kind of stone it might be?

Thank you very much for your help.

You could sand it down a bit and paint it it with PVA, or paint it with masonry paint (eg a sandstone colour, grey or black) or almost any old paint or even wood varnish will do depending on the colour you want. It's not much of a feature that you'd want to spend much money on I don't think.

Do not think this is a hearth stone Its some rough concrete that a tiled hearth used to sit on I used to fit hearths in a past life

grind it using a diamond cup disc then use a rubbing stone for finish

Hi, Thanks for all the advice.

I think you might be right about the concrete.... and that also explains why i cant find any information about restoring them on the web!

I guess i will clean it then hide it underneath something - maybe some nice tiles!

chip a little bit my bet is yorkstone used to be a lot of quarries in sheffield, if you find its stone you can lend the grinder with disc and rubbing stones i got:D

Hi, Thanks for all the advice.

I think you might be right about the concrete.... and that also explains why i cant find any information about restoring them on the web!

I guess i will clean it then hide it underneath something - maybe some nice tiles!

:confused: obvious there used to be a fireplace here before and tiled hearth sat on concrete looks like you have modernised house as skirting now goes through if you have an electric fire put a stone hearth down if not just let carpet run through :love: