Catching pigeons in town

OK a bit more serious than my post above.

Rats and Pigeons are not dirty disease ridden per se. Loads of animals have parasites, worms, fleas etc. Badgers, hedgehogs, cute ickle woodmice, water vole, Blue tits, they'll all have something that could potentially be damaging.

It is proximity to man that becomes the problem. When I moved into my tower block the balcony was full of pigeons. Someone from the council came dressed like a spaceman and got rid. Thus I no longer have problems with Pigeons.

There are Rats aplenty near where I work, I often see them in the morning. But they don't get to urinate in my drinking water because we live in a rich prosperous well equipped country.

There are Rats in Crookes Vally Park. I have no wish to get Weils disease so I refrain from swimming in the lake there.

So I don't mind Pigeons, they occasionally get under my feet and some child decides to run at a flock I sometimes worry that they may crap on me in their panic. But let the poor buggers eke out a life as best as possible I say.

As long as I don't have to live with them on my balcony!! ;)

why is it pigeon fancier? why not pigeoneer, or pigeon keeper, or pigeon man? where does the fancier come from??...

I want links!!

I was walking down town with my partner yesterday, when we got near the cathedral we noticed this teenager who was aparently feeding the birds.

To our shock he then proceded to grab a pidgeon and stuff it into his coat pocket,then he shot off on his bike up towards west street.

I shouted to him to let the bird go but he just put a finger up to me ,I was tempted to run after him but I thought he would get away as he was on the bike.

I along with my partner and others who saw me shout towards him were left in shock and disgust at what we had just seen,It upset my other half and I felt sorry for the pidgeon which will probably be used for food.

I hope the little sh*t chokes on the bird if he eats it,it really is amazing what you see down town these days.:mad:

Originally posted by JoeP

On a thread like this, it's worth remembering the role of Pigeons in popular culture.

For example, the Clash song 'Guns on the roof' is reputed to be about Paul SImonon and Joe Strummer shooting pigeons. David Mellor, ex-Tory MP, represented the boys in court....and got them fined rather than imprisoned.

And one should NEVER forget that great piece of lyric poetry by Tom Lehrer. 'Poisoning Pigeons in the Park'. :)

http://sniff.numachi.com/~rickheit/dtrad/pages/tiPOISNPGN.html

Joe

There's also the scene in "24 Hour Party People" where the Shaun Ryder character and someone else stand on a roof and feed pigeons with bread soaked in rat poison. They then stand and wait, and after 10 seconds or so, all the pigeons start falling out of the sky dead. :o

Originally posted by royjames

I felt sorry for the pidgeon which will probably be used for food.

I hope the little sh*t chokes on the bird if he eats it

Goodness knows what diseases he'll catch from it. Those pigeons are filthy.

Originally posted by Daley

There's also the scene in "24 Hour Party People" where the Shaun Ryder character and someone else stand on a roof and feed pigeons with bread soaked in rat poison. They then stand and wait, and after 10 seconds or so, all the pigeons start falling out of the sky dead. :o

It was supposed to be him and his brother Mark I think (love that film).

The local council did this for real in Liverpool about 20 years ago (may even have been Derek Hatton's regime) and it was gross and disturbing. You'd get pigeons dropping dead mid flight and tumbling onto rooftops where they would rot. Worse, they would fall into gardens and be eaten by dogs and cats with obvious results.

taxman - do you work in the Inland Revenue like your nick suggests? That must mean the rats are near Moorfoot - I still want to see a rat colony, bizarre but true.

Originally posted by royjames

I was walking down town with my partner yesterday, when we got near the cathedral we noticed this teenager who was aparently feeding the birds.

To our shock he then proceded to grab a pidgeon and stuff it into his coat pocket,then he shot off on his bike up towards west street.

I shouted to him to let the bird go but he just put a finger up to me ,I was tempted to run after him but I thought he would get away as he was on the bike.

I along with my partner and others who saw me shout towards him were left in shock and disgust at what we had just seen,It upset my other half and I felt sorry for the pidgeon which will probably be used for food.

I hope the little sh*t chokes on the bird if he eats it,it really is amazing what you see down town these days.:mad:

So eating a pigeon that has lived a free life flying around is somehow worse than eating a chicken that has been cooped up in a shed and pumped full of antibiotics?

I'm not vegetarian and I eat chicken, so I don't really see a problem with someone catching a pigeon and eating it.