Catching pigeons in town

my cousin say a man trying to catch a pigeon earlier on outside virgin. Apparently he was having a good fun time doing it too, laughing and joking all the way.

And he didn't look like Dick Dastardly.

Can anybody shed any light on it?

Funny that you say that as I felt that the bloody things were more kamikaze than usual today.

I had at least 5 that would have flown into me if I had not stopped, ducked or swerved.

Did he catch any?

dunno if he managed to catch any, i picked up my cousin before he had any success apparently.

It was my cousin's first trip into the city and obviously a fantastic introduction!

I used to go to school with a kid who could catch pigeons, his father kept racing pigeons I think it gave him some kind of special powers. We'd walk back from school and he'd catch them outside GT News and let the loose in the shop :hihi:

Originally posted by cgksheff

Funny that you say that as I felt that the bloody things were more kamikaze than usual today.

I had at least 5 that would have flown into me if I had not stopped, ducked or swerved.

Did he catch any?

Well there's one less in Stannington - it seemed to drop out of the tree and glided straight in front of my Volvo - one thud later and a cloud of feathers in the rear view mirror. (nothing I could have done about it including stop as there was a cue of cars behind me. Also I think you don't stop for hitting most animals except cattle type animals and Dogs - unless you can get them to a vet if needed?)

One question - who's being breeding the extra stupid pidgeons ?

if you don't stop, how do you know if they need taking to the vets. I think you should stop for all animals.

I think all pigeons should be caught. They are the most disgusting creatures in the world, and it really annoys me when people feed them. I have an extremly bad phobia of birds and can often be seen screaming whilst running down the moor. It really annoys me when people dont understand how scared of them I am. Does anybody share my fear and ditest for the vermin?

Originally posted by BEX_DEVJAM

pigeons... They are the most disgusting creatures in the world

Extreme! Only birds, so they are! :suspect:

Originally posted by BEX_DEVJAM

I think all pigeons should be caught. They are the most disgusting creatures in the world, and it really annoys me when people feed them. I have an extremly bad phobia of birds and can often be seen screaming whilst running down the moor. It really annoys me when people dont understand how scared of them I am. Does anybody share my fear and ditest for the vermin?

If you are on the moor, or near the castle markets, and you see a blonde woman in a wheelchair ducking in concern as the steaming flocks of pigeons fly overhead, that's me.

I detest "mucky" pigeons.

Vermin, pure and simple.

They are nothing more than "flying rats"

I don't mind the pigeon fancy, where they are bred specifically for show, or racing. I have no problems at all with that.

Most of the pidge fanciers treat their birds extremely well, keeping them clean, and keeping them healthy. that is not a problem.

It's the filthy, feral/ wild ones in town that I object to. All the diseases they carry (yuk!), and how they muck all over builidngs and, very often, on the poor passers-by.

I get really cross over the people who insist on feeding these winged rats. I want to say to them, "Look, you plonkers! the more you feed these vermin, the more they breed...!!"

I remember when we had the old bus station, in pond street, sometime around 1986/7. There was a huge outcry from the "bleeding-heart" brigade, because a surreptitious "cull" had taken place in the bus station,. "oh, the poor little pigeons!" how cruel! was the outcry.

What utter rubbish! Who goes ballistic over the environmental health workers getting rid of the dirty, disease-ridden rats that overrun our sewers? Hardly anyone. Most folk with a ha'porth of reason, accept that they are vermin, and that they should be destroyed. (as humanely and as swiftly as possible.)

P "ugh! filthy dirty things!" T

sorry folks, but i really don't understand why everyone has such hatred for pigeons. people with genuine phobias - yeah, no problem, i have a phobia of daddy longlegs - but the point of a phobia is that it's an irrational fear of something.

does no-one else have any appreciation for the culmination of millions of years of chemical process that lead to life? no, i'm not vegetarian/anti euthanasia/anti abortion etc etc, I just think that having a reasonable respect for anything that is alive is good.

besides, the argument that they're disease-ridden and filthy seems a bit rich when people are pretty b1oody disgusting and full of diseases, too.

Originally posted by andream

if you don't stop, how do you know if they need taking to the vets. I think you should stop for all animals.

Don't Volvo drivers have a reputation for thumping into things regularly anyway? :wink:

Pigeons...I hate them!

I had them nesting in the eaves of my old house, as a result we got infested with bird mites and had to have the Environmental Health department come and clear them out. They had to spray all around my bathroom and bedroom windows which was pretty yucky, but the worst thing I've ever smelt in my life was the muck that was taken out of the eaves :gag: took me a while to get rid of the smell on my doorstep where the poo and other stuff from the pigeons had landed :gag: