Gritters last night

I heard something about using a different type of grit this year. Something about "Special" grit from Scotland? Anyone else heard of this?

This year the rocksalt will have molasses (sugar) in it, as this lowers the freezing temperature. Last year the grit became ineffective at the low temperatures we experienced, but this year that shouldn't happen with the new recipe (it was on the local news on the telly)

This year the rocksalt will have molasses (sugar) in it, as this lowers the freezing temperature. Last year the grit became ineffective at the low temperatures we experienced, but this year that shouldn't happen with the new recipe (it was on the local news on the telly)

haha nice, so is it going to work? because if it's anything like last year we reached temperatures in Sheffield of around -17 degrees! :) Baltic!

My car in Walkley was had a frozen windscreen when I left for work this morning so there coulc easily have been ice around on the roads hence gritting was the right thing to do.

The molasses makes the salt stick to the roads better. This in turn means less salt is needed per square meter. It is also supposed to be less corrosive. It has no effect on the temperature it will work at.

The molasses makes the salt stick to the roads better. This in turn means less salt is needed per square meter. It is also supposed to be less corrosive. It has no effect on the temperature it will work at.

Will it still wash away if it rains instead of snows?

That's not what the bloke from the council told the news reporter

That's not what the bloke from the council told the news reporter

you mean you believe everything the council say? :hihi:

-2 last night in Dronfield. Went up my road twice in an hour - it is a bus route though. Cars and windows had some ice this morning.

For the second time in 2 weeks we had the gritters round last night. With no sign of frost never mind icy conditions. Why are the council wasting the time, money and salt, gritting the roads when its not needed? No doubt they'll be on the news when we are under 2 foot of snow telling us it's not the council's fault we don't have enough salt to keep the roads clear.

To cap it all off as i sit here typing this a road sweeper has just gone past doing its rounds of the estate, i wonder if someone at the council has realised their mistake and is trying to reclaim the salt to recycle it :roll:

stop moaning get up early and you can see the wide spread frost all over like i do especially this morning.

Dammed if they do, dammed if they dont. There was a wide spread frost last night / this morning.

Good on the council for taking preventative action. No doubt if the roads hadn't been gritted people would be on here whining as well.

you mean you believe everything the council say? :hihi:
Hmm, who to believe? :suspect::confused: I'm sure a random poster on an internet forum is bound to be the most reliable source of information :thumbsup: