Gritters last night

For the second time in 2 weeks we had the gritters round last night. With no sign of frost never mind icy conditions. Why are the council wasting the time, money and salt, gritting the roads when its not needed? No doubt they'll be on the news when we are under 2 foot of snow telling us it's not the council's fault we don't have enough salt to keep the roads clear.

To cap it all off as i sit here typing this a road sweeper has just gone past doing its rounds of the estate, i wonder if someone at the council has realised their mistake and is trying to reclaim the salt to recycle it :roll:

Maybe low temperatures were predicted for last night and if they hadnt been out and there was a frost, they would be slated on this very forum.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Widespread ground frost was forecast last night, the council can only act on the information that they are given, if they hadn't gritted and there were accidents then they would have been criticised for that.

Typed at same time as Bargepole. ^^^^^^^^^

Aye, we had frost out in the sticks last night. Did not see any gritters out though.

Regards

Angel.

For the second time in 2 weeks we had the gritters round last night. With no sign of frost never mind icy conditions. Why are the council wasting the time, money and salt, gritting the roads when its not needed? No doubt they'll be on the news when we are under 2 foot of snow telling us it's not the council's fault we don't have enough salt to keep the roads clear.

To cap it all off as i sit here typing this a road sweeper has just gone past doing its rounds of the estate, i wonder if someone at the council has realised their mistake and is trying to reclaim the salt to recycle it :roll:

I agree, Why waste time and money, Its not Icy, I've not seen any warnings for ice yet, next week there's an 11% yes that's 11% chance that it will snow.

I say wait until it's at least consistently 2 to -1 Degrees before even considering grit.

I heard something about using a different type of grit this year. Something about "Special" grit from Scotland? Anyone else heard of this?

I agree, Why waste time and money, Its not Icy, I've not seen any warnings for ice yet, next week there's an 11% yes that's 11% chance that it will snow.

I say wait until it's at least consistently 2 to -1 Degrees before even considering grit.

I heard something about using a different type of grit this year. Something about "Special" grit from Scotland? Anyone else heard of this?

The weather forecast last night predicted ground frost.

THEY CAN NOT WIN CAN THEY

The forcast for last night was ground frost so they gritted , perhaps it wasnt as bad as forcast if they had decided not to grit just in case it wasnt bad , then this forum would be full of "why didnt they grit last night the focast said frost"

DAMMED IF THEY DO DAMMED IF THEY DONT

I had a covering of ice on my car at 6.15am today

I used to work in the control room for the gritters.All around sheffield there are ground/road temp monitors, that obviously monitor the road temps.If the road temps are low, then it could result in ice.It is not just about the air temp,frost or snow etc but the temperature of the roads play a big part.If we had frost for example and because the road temp is low, it will freeze as ice.

I used to work in the control room for the gritters.All around sheffield there are ground/road temp monitors, that obviously monitor the road temps.If the road temps are low, then it could result in ice.It is not just about the air temp,frost or snow etc but the temperature of the roads play a big part.If we had frost for example and because the road temp is low, it will freeze as ice.

Just out of interest, How exactly do they monitor the temperature of "Each" road? are there underground sensors?

Just out of interest, How exactly do they monitor the temperature of "Each" road? are there underground sensors?

Not each road,sorry, some major roads eg prince of wales rd.I think they are metal disks on the surface set into the tarmac.The info that is sent to the team is from either manchester or i think birmingham met office,which mostly is not very good info.I remember one came through as a chance of rain,sleet and possibly snow or it could remain dry.It has to be on of them :hihi:

Edited by Total Chaos

Not each road,sorry, some major roads eg prince of wales rd.I think they are metal disks on the surface set into the tarmac.

That sounds more believable :) It's pretty cool that they can monitor the temperature of the main roads to be honest though. Thumbs up. :thumbsup: