Cutlers Spice Gleadless Townend

We had the great pleasure of going to the Cutlers Spice last night, the newly opened restaurant looks really bright and modern.

We had an excellent welcome from the owner Allam, he was beaming like a new Dad proud of the hard work that has been put in to refurbishing the building and quite rightly so.

Mrs Moses used to work at the Cutlers so I've spent many an hour propping up the bar, so I can say without any doubt the place is totally unrecognisable from the public house it used to be.

The staff made us really welcome and looked after us superbly, as the dishes were served the presentation of each dish was excellent, the food was piping hot and absolutely mouth watering.

The Chef came over to say hello, we recognised Noim from many years ago at the New India Garden, so we knew the food would be top notch and we weren’t disappointed. It was delicious, Mrs Moses opted for a vegetable dopiaza, I chose the Chicken Tikka Marsala Sag and our friends had the Chicken karahi and another Tikka Marsala, each one had an explosion of taste and superbly prepared.

With the extras of Garlic Nan and special rice, the meal was fabulous and real Saturday night treat, with an open plan layout the restaurant has a modern family feel, but has a designer twist with secluded booths for those romantic nights with the Mrs or a family get together.

The whole evening was a great success, even the bill was very reasonable. We can definitely recommend the restaurant, and I think we have found our new Friday night curry house.

Well done to Allam and his Mum and Dad, we’ll be back next week.

Why does this sound like a blatant advert? Anyway I Will try and hold fire as I hope it does well

Sounds nice in there! Some mates of mine went in last week and said how lovely it is!

Are they still getting the two marble elephants outside? Give them a week before someone's knicked them!

Why does this sound like a blatant advert? Anyway I Will try and hold fire as I hope it does well

By all means give the Cutlers a try, you never know, you may come away as enthusiastic as I am about the place and the food, I'm sure you'll love it.

[]

Sounds nice in there! Some mates of mine went in last week and said how lovely it is!

[]Are they still getting the two marble elephants outside? Give them a week before someone's knicked them!

Went a couple of weeks ago.

The food was good but i was most impressed by the standard of service.The waiter mentioned to us that they had got plans to expand the place already and they had got 2 elephants on order.That ,i've got to see at Gleadless.

You guys are putting me off from buying them? Haha they will look lovely outside my entrance and I'm building a wall all the way round to protect them and I hope you guys and girls will keep an eye on them too :) thanks for a brilliant review Holymoses it's with the help of customers as yourself we will build Sheffields best Bangladeshi restaurant :) thanks for doing your bit and il see you soon

I had a nice meal there but the veggie options were disappointing - no veg specials, just the usual that you can get anywhere although they were nicely cooked. Get some better veg stuff going & I might go back ;)

I shall have to give it a try, i'm very glad someone has turned the Cutlers building around, it truly was a dump when I lived near there a couple of years back.

I hope they don't take to dumping lots of rubbish in the wooded area to the rear, like the previous occupants! :)

We went to Cutlers' Spice on Valentines day and it was gorgeous. My parents went the week bfore and recommended it to us and we were suitably impressed. The service was second to none, the food delicious, the atmosphere perfect and the bill was a great surprise. We will definitely be going again.

Ive been to cutlers spice a few times, the food was good as was the service. I say give it a try

A big group of us went last night for a birthday. We shared a vast array of dishes so I'm in a good position to comment.

These included a south indian chicken tikka thing, a kind of korma dish with sultanas, vindaloo, a few more chicken disshes with similar sauces, biryani,side dishes with peas, potatoes and indian cheese, tandoori chicken, mixed grill, onion bhajis, 3 types of nan, mushroom rice, pilau, popadoms and chutney.

It was getting busy at 8pm, but it was a saturday night.

I was expecting a lot judging by the reviews on here. Unfortunately our visit didnt live up to expectations. It was average, heres why:

The good bits:

They have done a lot with the place, the decor is nice and the restaurant is spacious, the only thing was it is a little bright and they could do with dimming the halogen lighting a bit.

The service was OK, quite fast. Not overly friendly, as some people seem to be suggesting. Some bald geezer kept brushing up against me when serving the food which was annoying, But otherwise no cause for complaint here.

Prices are OK. Not expensive (but in line with the food). Drinks are at decent prices. Don't go for wine, go for beer.

The bad bits:

Veg dishes were almost non existant apart from a couple of dark brown looking side dishes, it seemed to be mainly chicken dishes in brown or greyish sauces (except the korma thing which was pinkish). A lot on the menu - but very samey in taste when they came. Don't expect refined spices if you visit.

Infact everything came in heavy sauces, except the mixed grill, which wasnt great. One comment on the tandoori chicken was it was 'stringy' and poor quality, the sheek kebab was horrid.

The onion bhajis had mustard seeds in which gave it an odd taste but there was good amount of onion in there, some people didnt like them (I thought they were OK and eat mine), the nan breads were decent, chilli, garlic and plain - probably the best bit of the meal. Not greasy at all.

Some other people (on the forum) commented on how good the 7 chutneys were - if you ask me they came from jars not homemade, tasted like that pataks stuff you get from the corner shop. Bit dissapointing.

We didnt stay for coffee, which speaks for itself.

In conclusion:

All in all Cutlers spice comes in the middle ground of Indian restaurants, It definately caters to the British 'gravy' indian loving public. Food wise it offers nothing different to whats already out there or has been out there for the last 30 years and everything is swimming in similar gravies - I have tasted better curries at home, I expected better so that was dissapointing.

On the plus side It's not expensive so you don't feel too bad about the average food and the service is OK. It's pretty comfrotable in there, credit for transforming the place from a crap pub to a nice looking restaurant.

I think this place will be OK because it appeals to the masses, its also big enough for big groups. Sadly the food lets it down for me.

Edited by TJC1