Gary Speed R.I.P.

very sad news, had the pleasure of meeting him several times & also a drink at his house, he was always a perfect gentleman, r.i.p speedo

Can't we have this thread back on the Sheffield football section - its seems more at place there rather just in the general section ?

Yes, and apart from the more recent connection with United:

Nigel Worthington, Brian Deane, Carl Shutt, John Pearson, Mel Sterland, Jon Newsome, David Wetherall, Lee Chapman, John Sheridan, Imre Varadi, Kevin Davies. All former team mates.

I was absolutely stunned when I was told. Such a shock, and a huge loss to his family and to football.

he may have had depression problems or an ugly private life, anything can trigger it off

coming from long term problems with depression myself, i know exactly what i am talking about

Sad News, Good man and an alright football player.

Shocked to hear this tragic news, R.I.P gary

Tragic news. RIP Gary.

He was a top player who looked to have a good future in management.

Was only watching him on the tv yesterday morning too.

Anyone got any ideas on why he did it

Buy a red top tomorrow …………… they will be full of it.

I feel sad someone of that age picks to do himself in,he had a good future and had started to turn the Wales team around.

Good player in his day but wouldn't call him a legend down at Lane,wasn't there long enough.

RIP GS

Stunned about this, just hope that it doesn't lead to days of tabloids speculating about his private life - he was one of the most respected players and men within football, and not many if any had a bad word to say about him. R.I.P.