Looking for 1950's All Saints' and Burngreave school friends.Male & F

Trying to find old 50's school pals from All Saints' and Burngreave schools. The ones whose names I can remember are, the boys :- Trevor Foster, Keith Green, Malcolm Simpson, John Hill,David Miller,Brian Hill and Stuart Hodgson. The All Saints' girls were Maureen Harley, Christine Doan, Margaret Johnson and Christine Blackett. Anyone else who knows these names and was in the same classes please send private mails, thanks.

Hi I went to Bernie 1957 to 1962 and have happy memories when looking back. The staff I was comfortable with was Mr Hague PT :get over that box lad. Mr Lacy Wood work; call that a tenon. Pop Rodgers music: Look at me when you play that recorder lad. Along with Friday mornings when the school band supported assembly. Football on the rec. Cricket in the yard. Reporting to the headmaster for wacks of the  cane.  And finally on the last day of school being able to talk to the girls at the leaving country dance party.

51 minutes ago, Ron Marshall said:

Hi I went to Bernie 1957 to 1962 and have happy memories when looking back. The staff I was comfortable with was Mr Hague PT :get over that box lad. Mr Lacy Wood work; call that a tenon. Pop Rodgers music: Look at me when you play that recorder lad. Along with Friday mornings when the school band supported assembly. Football on the rec. Cricket in the yard. Reporting to the headmaster for wacks of the  cane.  And finally on the last day of school being able to talk to the girls at the leaving country dance party.

Catherine

Did you really go to Burngreave school from 1957 to 1962, that is FIVE years. I was there from 1958-62 and don't recall bands (or indeed school band) in the assembly and a pupil didn't need to have to have a headmaster's office visit to get 'whacked' ( Hughes and Rodgers when I was there), the sadistic heathens that were the sub-ordinates would have gladly inflicted the punishments if they had to do it in their underwear with Brylcremed forelocks  flopping over their eyes on the stroke of excruciating impact. Are you the same Ron Marshall of newsagent shops ?

Nope not the newsagent family. Guess the memory plays tricks after a time, but can't you remember the the school recorder band  playing a hymn on Friday assemblies?  Being a band member I remember it well, along with the occasional joint school concerts.

We feared the flying wooden blackboard cleaner thrown by the angry teacher, now that was sadistic.  Also the public caning of lads on the stage after assembly, a rare but scary event and certainly didn't help my respect of these teachers. I recall on one occasion this was  given to a lad for falsifying a sick note re a school absence.

Hate to go about punishment but of course some teachers dealt out punishment themselves  with canes-hand , pt slippers -backside and rulers -back of knuckles I believe. 

Hopefully some people out there can remember certain teachers of this era, being an inspiration and encouraging them to go onto better things.

i have read post on ex pupils of burngreave mentioning teachers, i have never seen anybody mention Mr Fernihough? he was there on the dates above. also Goodlad Reaney Thomas.

and one for the ladies Miss Yates

Edited by kidley

11 hours ago, kidley said:

i have read post on ex pupils of burngreave mentioning teachers, i have never seen anybody mention Mr Fernihough? he was there on the dates above. also Goodlad Reaney Thomas.

and one for the ladies Miss Yates

Mr Fernihough was my favourite because I loved metalwork which is the class he took. I left in 1952.

3 hours ago, Kidorry said:

Mr Fernihough was my favourite because I loved metalwork which is the class he took. I left in 1952.

I think metal work teacher Ferneough was replaced by a bloke called Hardwick,  another slipper mad merchant.