Dore and Totley station

Just heard from Northern Rail that Dore station is to have a ticket machine installed within the next 2 months. Extract from email;

"Dore is to have a self service ticket machine installed, for customers to purchase tickets by debit/credit cards at the station within the next 2 months.

Unfortunately, due to location of Dore we are unable to install a ticket machine which would accept cash.

I hope this will encourage more customers to purchase tickets before boarding and also help conductors onboard to be able to sell tickets to all joining as the majority will be cash sales."

Although conductors are positively rewarded (I gather they may get some form of commission or bonus) to issue tickets they couldn't possibly collect all the fares and attend to their other duties in the short distance from Dore to Sheffield in the mornings.

Next the park and ride car park needs to be completed, and the second platform reinstated so the station can more fully capture the business that is already there.

The Northern hub improvements allowing passing loops on the Hope Valley line are also urgently needed to ensure more reliability in the service. Ridership would be greater if trains turned up on time on a regular basis.

Perhaps the telephone there could be fixed at the same time?

I don't understand why it couldn't accept cash though? Perhaps the machine would be stolen?

I also don't understand why they don't temporarily open up the old garden centre carpark. The people who park there are a nuisance for pedestrians. And have bumped into the wall of the old station house a few times.

I don't understand why it couldn't accept cash though? Perhaps the machine would be stolen?

Becaue it isn't an honesty box..

it will be a cash box with a single lock in an isolated location with nobody overlooking it with a couple of grand inside.

If you can't see how that would be a problem then you need to get out into the real world a little more.

Vandalism! With mobile phones so common it would be better if it were removed to avoid the damage and expense. Just leave a freephone number to call.

Although ticket machines are emptied regularly they get broken into by folks armed with heavy duty grinders. The car park at Edale had two machines removed completely last year. The machine at Mam Nick was totally wrecked two years ago, and there have been many other cases in cities where parking meters were cut off their posts.

Today card only is the only practical way to go for remote locations.

The car park is a matter for SYPTE. They have planning permission but haven't got the cash to do the job.

Of course a simple idea like reopening the station building to sell tickets (possibly for commission) and provide light refreshments doesn't seem to have been a practical starter. Personally, given that the Abbeydale Garden Centre cafe was very popular I'd have thought that was an opportunity for someone. Bacon butties for early commuters, morning coffees, light lunches and afternoon teas. Appealing to business users, local residents and Peak District walkers on their way out to Edale, Hope, Hathersage, Bamford and Grindleford.

I'm not sure whether this is good news or not?

It seems to be saying, "we're going to collect more fares" but not "we're going to make things better for passengers".

The ticket machine has been installed, standing against an open north facing wall.

It's not user friendly in winter, and certainly not quick to use, but I suppose regular users will get used to it.

quote 1978

"Personally, given that the Abbeydale Garden Centre cafe was very popular I'd have thought that was an opportunity for someone. Bacon butties for early commuters, morning coffees, light lunches and afternoon teas. Appealing to business users, local residents and Peak District walkers on their way out to Edale, Hope, Hathersage, Bamford and Grindleford" end quote.

There was a mobile canteen there for a few days a month ago, but it didn't last long.

Presumably it didn't sell enough to be worthwhile.

Edited by Dick

Needs someone to reopen the old station building as a daytime cafe.

Trying to make those small premises into an evening restaurant and/or club type business looks a harder task - as the landlords are clearly finding as yet another venture seems to be unable to get going.

The little cafe van didn't start at the best time of year and needed to be there for longer to build up trade. Standing around in the cramped car park, or on the open platform, wasn't very suitable. Nice try, though.

Surprise, surprise, the recently installed ticket machine was out of order yesterday morning! Not vandalism, probably run out of tickets?

Am perhaps a little behind here;

is the new car park a 'pay & display' type park and ride? Can't see them spending all this money on making a new car park and letting people park there for free, heaven forbid!!

So, there be a few cars in the car park and the rest on the verge opposite or clogging up Dore Road..... Just as before then!! Just like Millhouses Park too.... Abbeydale Road South clogged up with parked cars and more-or-less empty car parks!

Should still be a free car park, SYPTE got funding to extend the existing car park.

The Dore station Park and Ride car park was opened only a few weeks ago with about 100 spaces. At 8.20 today there were only 4 spaces left, and the off-road area opposite the station already had 9 parked cars. There seemed to be 2 or 3 probable rail users parked up Dore Road as well!

It hasn't taken long to reach capacity, as regular users could have predicted. I also note one of the lamp posts in the car park has already been bent over!