Why are British unemployed people shy of work?

My company is searching for people who are unemployed and interested in becoming either a Voluntary Director or Voluntary Secretary.

We have had many applicants, but so far nobody has been given either one of the two positions on offer. Why? Because all the persons who have applied have been too highly qualified.

We have noticed that all the applicants that have applied so far have been foreign nationals, not one "British" unemployed person has applied.

It makes us wonder why are British unemployed people shy of work and foreigners are not ?

I can tell you why, it may have something to do with the word "voluntary"....

Why would an unemployed person apply for a voluntary position that is going to have them stripped of their benefits? :loopy:

Why would an unemployed person apply for a voluntary position that is going to have them stripped of their benefits? :loopy:

As the rules state people on JSA can do voluntary work, why would they be stripped of benefits? The experience that voluntary work gives could really benefit someone looking for work. It can also be an opportunity to get references for anyone who hasn't worked for a while.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndCommunity/Gettinginvolvedinyourcommunity/Volunteering/DG_064299

Ring the church bells and order me a straight jacket.

I agree with this.

http://www.qype.co.uk/place/1257509-ESCADON-Social-Creations-ENG-Limited-Sheffield

The company was founded on 1st. December '09. It's short term aim is to create various Work Projects (in fields ranging from environmental conservation to community entertainment) that will offer disadvantaged people (e.g. unqualified unemployed and people in ethnic minorities) a chance to gain work experience and training, in the hope that the experience and training they gain will help them secure employment elsewhere or help them start up their own business.

The company's long term aim is to purchase or obtain through donations "freehold" derelict buildings and land for the purpose of converting the buildings and land into Community Resource Centres (such as shops, flats to let, leisure facilities) for the purpose of offering employment to unemployed people.

Nice idea if it works but there may be problems with the dole office getting ratty and there will be problems filling any created jobs for the reasons the OP suggested.

Benefit in what way that working for 14 hours a week couldn't do? At least that way the person would get a few extra pounds each week.

I don't subscribe to the reference idea at all. I think they count for very little these days. I would personally take any reference with a pinch of salt.

As the rules state people on JSA can do voluntary work, why would they be stripped of benefits? The experience that voluntary work gives could really benefit someone looking for work. It can also be an opportunity to get references for anyone who hasn't worked for a while.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndCommunity/Gettinginvolvedinyourcommunity/Volunteering/DG_064299

The rules may say whatever but the reality isn't the same.

I know of a person who had real problems because he did two days working with asylum seekers. He earned nothing and it had no effect on him looking for work.

In fact he got a job quickly so them stopping his dole didn't much matter but it could have.

The problem with voluntary work, is if you do a job voluntarily, and the DWP decide that if you didnt do it, the company would have to pay someone to do it, they will class it as "notional earnings" - and you could end up owing them thousands - even if you didnt earn a penny...

If you dont beleive me, ring them and ask.....

Why are companies shy of employing people and paying them real wages.

My company is searching for people who are unemployed and interested in becoming either a Voluntary Director or Voluntary Secretary.

We have had many applicants, but so far nobody has been given either one of the two positions on offer. Why? Because all the persons who have applied have been too highly qualified.

We have noticed that all the applicants that have applied so far have been foreign nationals, not one "British" unemployed person has applied.

It makes us wonder why are British unemployed people shy of work and foreigners are not ?

Putting individual attitudes to work aside for a moment, are you a registered social enterprise?

As all the above have said, it's because of the benefits system. Foreigners probably don't understand it.

If you do any work on benefits, which doesn't pay more than benefits, you're running a serious risk of losing everything that you've got.

When I was young & on JSA I got a mystery shopping job, did 2 hours work, made £20, lost a whole two week's benefits for it & ended up losing by about £70. If I was claiming any other benefits (like housing) it'd have been much worse. Most unemployed English have learned their lesson.

Edited by anywebsite