BIG Steak Anywhere?

I've not been to the London Club but that seems to be the ONLY place that serves that size of steak in this area.

You say that £35 is expensive but for that size steak I don't think it is expensive at all! You would pay, surely, £10 minimum for an 8oz steak in most places - and you are asking for one 4 times that weight - so why are you so surprised at it being about £40?

The best place I know for steaks specifically, are the Gaucho restaurants - there's one in Leeds and one in Manchester (but none in Sheffield and never will be most likely) - there's also a place called Argento - in Huddersfield - which isn't much to look at inside but does good steaks.

But if you want Sheffield mate... well...

Bar & Grill maybe on Leopold Square. That'll cost you about £18 for a 8/10 oz steak if I recall.

Another option might be the Plough at Hathersage - order the rib of beef for 2. That's a nice piece of rib steak on the bone which should do the trick for less than £40.

Just thought of another - Casa hotel near to the big Tesco Extra on the A61 leading into Chesterfield. They don't do really big steaks but you could always order 2! Their speciality is using a Josper - which is a charcoal fired super grill type oven. It cooks at something like 300c and will cook a big steak to perfection in about 30 seconds! If you've not tried Josper grill food I'd recommend it to you - plus - it's a nice restaurant as well - despite it being a chain hotel near a by pass.

Eh?

How can it be when there's only one, and likely only ever will be?

Eh?

How can it be when there's only one, and likely only ever will be?

I thought it was part of the Spanish Casa hotel chain. I've travelled quite a lot through Spain on business and stayed at several by this name, so I thought it must their first foray here in the UK.

From the certainty of your comments it is obvious I am mistaken then. You appear to be knowledgable not just about the existence of this hotel but the future plans for others by the same name. So, I'm happy to take your word for it.

If you do have something to do with the hotel, I'm sure you'll be delighted that I gave it a very positive mention - even though the only thing you managed to pick up on was the "chain hotel" comment! :roll:

On the suggestion of another poster on here, I recently tried the Old Post Office at J38 of the M1. It is the junction after the main Barnsley A61 turn off, going north. Takes about 20-25 mins from the city centre.

If that's not too far for you to go then you will find very good steaks in a fairly simple pub/diner type place, right next to the motorway. They present the meat, uncooked at the table and you tell them where to put the knife and you can have as big a steak as you want. It's mostly locally sourced meat and I have to say it is very good indeed.

Can't remember you mentioned this to me now and can't find it on this thread, but thanks anyway.

Pleasure sir! Glad you approved. I like a steak but am no connoisseur like yourself so you have confirmed to me that its good!

Edited by theripsaw

I thought it was part of the Spanish Casa hotel chain. I've travelled quite a lot through Spain on business and stayed at several by this name, so I thought it must their first foray here in the UK.

From the certainty of your comments it is obvious I am mistaken then. You appear to be knowledgable not just about the existence of this hotel but the future plans for others by the same name. So, I'm happy to take your word for it.

If you do have something to do with the hotel, I'm sure you'll be delighted that I gave it a very positive mention - even though the only thing you managed to pick up on was the "chain hotel" comment! :roll:

http://www.bighospitality.co.uk/Venues/Global-Brands-boss-to-open-20m-hotel-in-Chesterfield