BIG Steak Anywhere?

Hi all,

Where can I get a good BIG steak in Sheffield? I'm talking 30-35oz here though.... (For the record and my pride, I'm 6 foot and 12 and a half stone, not a fatty but just really enjoy a massive steak.)

Thanks in advance.

I think the London Club on Surrey St do one. Set you back something like £40 though.

I've not been to the London Club but that seems to be the ONLY place that serves that size of steak in this area.

You say that £35 is expensive but for that size steak I don't think it is expensive at all! You would pay, surely, £10 minimum for an 8oz steak in most places - and you are asking for one 4 times that weight - so why are you so surprised at it being about £40?

The best place I know for steaks specifically, are the Gaucho restaurants - there's one in Leeds and one in Manchester (but none in Sheffield and never will be most likely) - there's also a place called Argento - in Huddersfield - which isn't much to look at inside but does good steaks.

But if you want Sheffield mate... well...

Bar & Grill maybe on Leopold Square. That'll cost you about £18 for a 8/10 oz steak if I recall.

Another option might be the Plough at Hathersage - order the rib of beef for 2. That's a nice piece of rib steak on the bone which should do the trick for less than £40.

Just thought of another - Casa hotel near to the big Tesco Extra on the A61 leading into Chesterfield. They don't do really big steaks but you could always order 2! Their speciality is using a Josper - which is a charcoal fired super grill type oven. It cooks at something like 300c and will cook a big steak to perfection in about 30 seconds! If you've not tried Josper grill food I'd recommend it to you - plus - it's a nice restaurant as well - despite it being a chain hotel near a by pass.

Edited by DerbyTup

Thanks for the tips.

The reason I call it expensive is because where I'm from down south I could get a 20oz for £15. So in theory a 40 would be £30. But that's cool I see what you're saying.

I was in the Psalter Tavern last night and noticed that they do a 16oz steak for £10.99. Not sure what type of cut it is.

I was in the Psalter Tavern last night and noticed that they do a 16oz steak for £10.99. Not sure what type of cut it is.

I would bet any money that is a T-bone or Porterhouse steak. It sounds like you are getting a really big steak but the weight is deceiving because the bone weighs a few ounces itself.

I must admit, it's one thing that the Americans do far better than us (and same with the Argies and Aussies too) - they know how to serve and cook a big steak.

This place is really good for steak. It's a pub in a little village not far from the M1 J14. They have a butcher's counter inside the pub and you can choose any cut and any size of steak you fancy. They have these charcoal grills inside the pub and you can watch them cook what you've ordered right before your eyes. If you want a 32 oz steak - no problem - just tell them where to put the knife and it's yours.

The quality is excellent too - and yes - it's expensive. Wouldn't you expect it to be?

http://www.thecarringtonarms.co.uk/

I would bet any money that is a T-bone or Porterhouse steak. It sounds like you are getting a really big steak but the weight is deceiving because the bone weighs a few ounces itself.

I must admit, it's one thing that the Americans do far better than us (and same with the Argies and Aussies too) - they know how to serve and cook a big steak.

I agree. I'm not sure what it is with us Brits and why it's so difficult to find a decent place that serves a good steak. It's not like the equipment isn't available, you can get a secondhand chargrill for £200.

maybe it's just here in Sheffield. There seems to be plenty of places in manchester and Leeds where you can get good steak.

Another thing that gets me, when I go out for a roast and fancy beef, why do most restaurants cook it until it's nealry cremated? I like my beef pink, just like it should be.

There's a really good carvery at the Bear near Alderwasley, which is maybe 15 mins drive beyond Matlock Bath. They have both well done and medium beef. They cook 2 big joints seperately so they can give people what they prefer. In fact, they have 5 joints on display, 2 beef, 1 pork, 1 lamb, 1 turkey. You can have literally as much as you want. It's £9.95 for adults, £5.95 for kids.

It's not often we go out for sunday lunch because I can do better at home than most places, but we all enjoy a trip out to the Bear. It's beautiful walking country so we combine the walk with a hearty lunch. Highly recommended.

Just go to Wetherspoons steak night on a tuesday and order 4 8oz steaks for £5.99 each (includes a free drink). It'll only set you back £24 and you can just leave all the chips and peas!

Just go to Wetherspoons steak night on a tuesday and order 4 8oz steaks for £5.99 each (includes a free drink). It'll only set you back £24 and you can just leave all the chips and peas!

good thinking!

That's one way to eat 32 oz of steak within the kind of budget our friend seems to have in mind.

Dunno about quality though, but as far as quantity goes, it's a winning plan!