Weird sayings in 'families' - well in mine

Originally posted by peterdo

There are more of these in a thred in History & expats.

Sheffield sayings and rhymes

Ahhh but mine aren't from Sheffield!!! I'm from Doncaster and my parents are from t'other side of the pennines!!!! *shudders*!!!

I got corporation wine in the kitchen! she meant water of course!
YAAAAAAAY 'council pop'!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I remembered a couple of others...

'stood like Piffy on a rock bun' :suspect: for being left stood alone or being stood up.

'don't look at me in that tone of voice it smells a funny colour'!! :D

"You must think i fell off a christmas tree!?"

"neither use nor ornament" and yeah im famillar with "what we got to drink?" - council pop!

well i'll go to foot of our stairs

tha looks like mutton dressed as lamb

if tha had a brain cell thaw'd be dangerous

if you don't like it you'll have to lump it

summats just walked orme grave

When I was a child I lived on a busy road and you had to beat the traffic to cross it to go to the shops. Nuff said.

My Mum used to say to me "If you get knocked down don't come running to me."

How mad is that?

My father used to say "if in doubt let it out,

church or chapel let it rattle.

then he used to grin, and let out a fart.

:gag:

My Grandad used to say....I don't know if I am on this earth or fullers, he would say it when shocked or very surprised about something. I guess he was weird really, but I still loved him.

My Grandad used to say....I don't know if I am on this earth or fullers, he would say it when shocked or very surprised about something. I guess he was weird really, but I still loved him.
I say that!! Am I weird then? :)

I say that!! Am I weird then? :)

NO, but perhaps you could explain what it means.

NO, but perhaps you could explain what it means.
With pleasure! Fuller's Earth is a natural powder stuff that you can use for medicinal purposes, like stopping a small wound bleeding or degreasing your hair, or the dog's fur!

If you were taken by surprise, shocked or in a tizz, you'd say "I don't know if I'm on this Earth, or Fuller's". Just a bit of a joke really. We were very easily amused in the olden days, tha knows :D

With pleasure! Fuller's Earth is a natural powder stuff that you can use for medicinal purposes, like stopping a small wound bleeding or degreasing your hair, or the dog's fur!

If you were taken by surprise, shocked or in a tizz, you'd say "I don't know if I'm on this Earth, or Fuller's". Just a bit of a joke really. We were very easily amused in the olden days, tha knows :D

WOW....one powder that can do all that! Is this a April fools reply?......It is after noon tha knows lass!:rant:

My lot say "If thaht reyt, I`ll plat watta!"

They say that to me quite often...

WOW....one powder that can do all that! Is this a April fools reply?......It is after noon tha knows lass!:rant:
Truth or April Fool? You decide :hihi:

It's also one of the main ingredients of the original clay face masks or 'mud packs' for gently removing facial impurities. We used to use it to dry shampoo the cat in lieu of being able to bathe her.

Wiki it if you don't believe me, but I speak only truth, Don't know if you can even get it these days.