Homeless whats the chance of help??

hello again just looking for some advice do the housing do anything to help you if your homeless? if you have not got a permanent home do they help you get a flat or house? (and again no stupid answers please cheers)

I think you can ask to be put on a waiting list for coucil housing, they don't just have free flats or houses that they can throw who ever turns up at the desk wanting to be housed.

ok thanks do you know what age you have to be to be put on a waiting list? cheers again

16 i think. Again i'm not 100% sure, if you can try not to leave where ever it is you're currently staying untill you've got somewhere to go. Check with Howden House, i think they deal with all this.

Anybody can put their name down for housing association/council housing/social housing. You must be 16 years of age.

You can see the homeless team at Howden house, they will 'advise you' of your options. Mae sure you get advice from the CAB before hand or read the housing policies available on the internet though, for obvious reasons. Some people are refused help, generally men (18+). There are hostels out there. And prison is an option in winter, better to be locked up and fed than freeze to death on the streets!

There is also a shelter for those under 21 I believe it's near city road you go past it on the tram. Not sure what the conditions on it are though but I do know that everyone I knew that was in there had a support worker of some form I think. (no more details though I'm afraid, this is going back a few years, I only knew through an ex bf)

Best thing you could do is go and ask at citizen's advice, they'll point you in the right direction.

A lot depends on your age and circumstances. There are a couple of charities that can help in exceptional circumstances too, I think one's called Roundabout.

These would probably be more help than the council, http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/homelessness

That is an excellent website for information. There is an online homeless assessment which can tell people exactly what help they are entitled to, also a free phone number 0808 800 4444.

And, as has already been mentioned, go to Howden House and get on the housing register. Each person's situation is different, so without every detail it is impossible to advise what help anyone is entitled to.

Edited by Ms Macbeth

you can put your name down at sixteen but cannot bid till you are 18, so if you are under 18 the advice given above is to go to young peoples shelter services, i know of under 18s in their own accomodation helped by agencies like that, go see what you are entitled to.

GF

When I was 15 I went to a shelter off London rd called roundabout I think it is still there and there is one at totley called cherry tree. They both provide excellent support for the young homeless. Hope this helped