Chicken pie receipe

Does anyone have a simple receipe for chicken pie, i know you have to use cream for a sauce but i get confused putting it all together.

I just need something that is simple to understand as when im cooking im running back and to, to the living room checking on my boys :|

Edited by chorba

here's a recipe i do:

poach chicken breasts in white wine and water with a bayleaf, some black peppercorns and a slice of lemon - when cooked chop the chicken & retain the stock

sweat down some chopped mushrooms & leek with a little butter

make a slightly thicker than usual white sauce using butter, cornflour and the chicken stock - add some cream if you want too

mix the sauce, chicken, mushrooms & leeks, and put in a pie dish

top with a crust of your choosing and cook until the crust is cooked

Skinned Boneless Chicken Thighs (2 per person), Streaky Smoked Bacon(1 rasher per person), Onion (half per person).

Chop the bacon and onions and fry over a moderate heat in a little veg oil and butter until golden brown, remove from pan and add a little more oil and fry the chopped chicken thighs for about 10-15minutes, remove from pan.

Turn up the heat and add about a cup of stock (use cube - veg or chicken), per person scraping the bits from the bottom of the pan and stirring well. Mash up some flour and butter (about 1dessert spoon per cup of liquid) and add in small lumps to the bubbling stock whisking all the time. Let it just simmer for 10minutes then add milk/cream until it is the thickness you like. Add mustard, nutmeg, a bayleaf or whatever seasonings you like but go easy on the salt if you used a stock cube.

Add back the bacon, onion and chicken and pour into an oven proof pie dish.

You can line the dish with pastry first and top with pastry, I like to do it like a sheperds pie and top with mashed potato. Bake in the oven (170-190) for about 20-25mins or until the pastry is cooked. Serve with veg.

You can add pretty much any veg if you want it in the pie, frozen at the last stage of combining all the things into the sauce or earlierif using fresh and cook them with the chicken.

Enjoy.

Try this one.... and tweek to your own tastes

Defrost some ready made puff pastry and roll out to approx 5mm or so thickness (up to you have thick you want the pastry top really)

Chicken (diced into 1"/25mm chunks), pan fried, on a medium heat, in a little veg oil (1tbsp) until nicely golden/cooked and place on kitchen paper to drain, leaving as much of the oil on the pan as poss.

Finely diced onions - fry off in the pan you used for the chicken... When the onions start to become translucent sprinkle some flour into pan, stir in and cook until onions are coated and the oil is absorbed into flour ('bout another 5 mins)

Chicken stock cube (made up to a pint) or a tin of chicken soup - pour into pan and heat through. Make sure you scrape around in the pan to release the "crusty bits" (Crusty bits= more flavour.

Place chicken into an oven proof dish (pyrex, ceramic or whatever you have that's appropriate but NOT plastic obviously) and pour over the sauce.

Mix an eggy wash (one egg broken into a cup and beated), and lightly brush around the top of the dsh(if the dish has a wide rim.

Cap with rolled out pastry and crimp edges of (use a fork or you thumb - not your grannies false teeth!!!) and brush the pastry top with more eggy wash.

Place in a preheated oven 180-200C/Gas6 for around 20-30 mins or until the pastry is golden brown.

Serve with veg (as last poster), chips or whatever you like to eat a an accompaniment.

I've cooked a variety of savoury pies like this for years and never, ever failed to produce something that's tasty and pleasing to people sat at my table.

Oh and feel free to experiment. I cook regularly in our house and am self-taught.... The more you cook, the more you get a "taste" for what goes with what and what works also.... Above all, don't be afraid to try things. Good luck!!