Low Frequency Vibration/Humming in The House

No not really are there any factories or work units bakery's near you ?

Well yes it's Hillsborough but I've never heard this in 2 years of living here!

Have a chat with neighbors etc someone may know something,the thing is once you've heard it and it's in your head it's bye bye sleep.

Why on earth has this been moved to here? It's nothing to do with my house!

Yes first post clearly says in the house your noise is coming from out side,mod mistake maybe ?

Have a chat with neighbors etc someone may know something,the thing is once you've heard it and it's in your head it's bye bye sleep.

Yep - every half an hour. Sounded like a big fan outside...

This doesn't really fit in this thread now :(

If it can be established that the frequency is 50hz or more likely its second harmonic at 100hz then it almost certainly originates from the mains supply network. Tracing the source wouldn't be easy as these frequencies tend to be (as mentioned before) omni-directional.

You are probably familiar with the hum given off from small transformers, this is due to the mains frequency vibrating the core at 50/100hz.

Possible sources are substations, pylons/power lines, smaller substations for factories/shops, or even the underground power cable network.

If it can be established that the frequency is 50hz or more likely its second harmonic at 100hz then it almost certainly originates from the mains supply network. Tracing the source wouldn't be easy as these frequencies tend to be (as mentioned before) omni-directional.

You are probably familiar with the hum given off from small transformers, this is due to the mains frequency vibrating the core at 50/100hz.

Possible sources are substations, pylons/power lines, smaller substations for factories/shops, or even the underground power cable network.

Thanks. It was intermittent, every 30 minutes it was constant and then stopped for 30 mins (just as I drifted back off!!!) Very annoying. It was so loud outside but from bed it sounded like someone a few doors away had a hairdryer going.

If you live anywhere near Holme Lane I had this problem a few years ago and it turned out to be that factory next to Supertram terminus. Environmental Health came out and the factory swore they turned machinery fan off at night time and weekends but they often didn't. Environmental Health made them put a box round it but it didn't improve the hum much:(

Well yes it's Hillsborough but I've never heard this in 2 years of living here!

Its probably the electricity sub station behind Bassets or the pylon, these tend to hum when the air is damp.

Its probably the electricity sub station behind Bassets or the pylon, these tend to hum when the air is damp.

ah, right, thank you!

I thought this was an advert for a nightclub from the title. Like 'low frequency oscillation in da house y'all!'

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android