Sheffield Train Station - designed by a moron?

Searched for a thread on this, but couldn't find one.

Is there a plan to address the chaos caused by queuing taxis and cars?

We were there the other day and they have had to employ somebody to stand at the t-junction to wave cars in and out to prevent gridlock! That has got to be the worst indictment of any traffic planning - the need to pay somebody to manage the traffic!

Does anybody here work for the council and know whether anything is being done, or is this the future of the train station?

If people didn't park in the drop off point, where they're NOT supposed to pick people up, then that'd be a start

When a train arrives in late, the taxis wind up backed up too - but they need to be there for the sheer volume of passengers requiring them when said train DOES arrive

When there's a traffic issue elsewhere, it's not unusual for the police to attend to get the traffic flowing again, so I can't really see what you expect to be done

We were there the other day and they have had to employ somebody to stand at the t-junction to wave cars in and out to prevent gridlock! That has got to be the worst indictment of any traffic planning - the need to pay somebody to manage the traffic!

Does anybody here work for the council and know whether anything is being done, or is this the future of the train station?

I quite agree. There is all the wasted space in front of the station that could have been used for taxi access. The back road could then have been left for private cars to drop off and pick up. That would ease the conjestion as the taxis would have a clear entry and exit onto the main road.

Our small local airport is as busy as a train station , they have a "Cell phone pick up parking lot" a small space as everyones in and out fast, no gridlock in the drop off or pickup line.

I quite agree. There is all the wasted space in front of the station that could have been used for taxi access. The back road could then have been left for private cars to drop off and pick up. That would ease the conjestion as the taxis would have a clear entry and exit onto the main road.

You can park for half an hour for free in the multi storey..that's what you should do when you're there to pick up or drop off...

But Poppins, if they tried that here, the same people parking in the drop off point would just continue the same way, and PARK in the cellphone pick up... besides, the legalities of mobile phone use whilst driving may have an effect on the viability of that

You can park for half an hour for free in the multi storey..that's what you should do when you're there to pick up or drop off...

I do park in the car park. The poster was stating a point about the taxi's causing conjestion. If they were moved to the front of the station the back road would be clearer for everyone. :)

What would you suggest to sort things out, remembering of course that their is a major road running past the front of the station, the building I velieve has a listed status and an awful lot of people seem unable to operate without their cars.

A few idea's I had was re-route the road to the rear of the station, hideously expensive which is why this wasn't implemented, run a large well lit underpass between the station and the interchange, apprently this wouldn't of been easy as the river is in that general area. Then make sure the ddrop off and pick up point isn't snarled up with cars simply waiting and lastly stop taxi's just parking wherever they seeem to like. One place where more taxi's could sit is the vehicle access yard to platform one as I rarely see this area in use by Royal mail.

I do park in the car park. The poster was stating a point about the taxi's causing conjestion. If they were moved to the front of the station the back road would be clearer for everyone. :)

Which back road? Behind the train station is a Tram track?

But but but, then people would actually have to WALK to the station. Surprisingly most able bodied people appear to find that very hard. It's pathetic how many people park in the pick up and drop off.

Sorry I was a bit behind the comments when I posted so hadn't noticed the stuff about using the square. I do tend to agree that the far end of the square nearest the car park could of been better designed with more taxi waiting points but would hate the area to become total car usage as the area is far more visually appealing than it used to be which I also think is important.

But Poppins, if they tried that here, the same people parking in the drop off point would just continue the same way, and PARK in the cellphone pick up... besides, the legalities of mobile phone use whilst driving may have an effect on the viability of that

But the idea is to park there and wait for your call to pick up, not t0 drive as it's just a waiting area, anyhow I'm not one to talk as I don't obey at times :blush: