What Primary School Did you go to?

13 hours ago, rachelmum said:

Birley primary '75 to '81. Favourite teacher Miss Senior then became Mrs Allen. Lovely teacher always had time for me at school. 

Was Miss Seniors christian name Collette?

Me and my Brother were going to go to St Barnabas on Alderson Rd till my Mother saw the state of the wooden floor (large splinters).

So we were enrolled at Sharrow lane instead.

Sharrow Lane proper Skool building in proper stone and still there. Visited the Cafe open in the old assembly Hall a while back.

Mrs Levitt (dinner Lady) Mrs Alflatt, Headmaster Mr Alan, ex Hurricane pilot (even if he did give me the cane) & Mr Ludbrook, hat's off to you Sir, yes he gave me the cane as well but added "i'm giving you all (several of us) the cane not for what you've'e done but for getting caught doing it".

I never got caught again. 

Abbeydale Grange Comp- HATED THE PLACE. Full of teachers who had no interest in teaching us from the other side of town who hadn't passed their 11+ I do remember Mr Swaine who used to restore Riley's (before restoring vehicles was popular) with found memories as he used to on occasions give me a lift in one of his Riley's up to my Grans on Bocking lane.

33 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

Me and my Brother were going to go to St Barnabas on Alderson Rd till my Mother saw the state of the wooden floor (large splinters).

So we were enrolled at Sharrow lane instead.

Sharrow Lane proper Skool building in proper stone and still there. Visited the Cafe open in the old assembly Hall a while back.

Mrs Levitt (dinner Lady) Mrs Alflatt, Headmaster Mr Alan, ex Hurricane pilot (even if he did give me the cane) & Mr Ludbrook, hat's off to you Sir, yes he gave me the cane as well but added "i'm giving you all (several of us) the cane not for what you've'e done but for getting caught doing it".

I never got caught again. 

Abbeydale Grange Comp- HATED THE PLACE. Full of teachers who had no interest in teaching us from the other side of town who hadn't passed their 11+ I do remember Mr Swaine who used to restore Riley's (before restoring vehicles was popular) with found memories as he used to on occasions give me a lift in one of his Riley's up to my Grans on Bocking lane.

Mr Swain used to live on Hemper Lane.

Remember him teaching us English.

As you rightly say he used to restore old Riley's. I recall him telling us that he had once been ripped off on a car deal and decided to make sure it never happened again by understanding the workings of a car.

I was at Abbeydale for 7 years and cannot remember anything from his English lessons other than that. 

23 minutes ago, abbeyedges said:

Mr Swain used to live on Hemper Lane.

Remember him teaching us English.

As you rightly say he used to restore old Riley's. I recall him telling us that he had once been ripped off on a car deal and decided to make sure it never happened again by understanding the workings of a car.

I was at Abbeydale for 7 years and cannot remember anything from his English lessons other than that. 

did you know he could play the Trumpet?

He was our form teacher and English Teacher at one point. 

some one in class had a trumpet and Mr Swaine started playing it much to our surprise.

My Gran lived in the houses that sit above the road, corner Bocking Lane as it bends and where Greenhill Avn starts.

I used to visit my Gran on a Thursday straight from School and one day on passing me gave me a lift. it became a regular thing for a while.

I think he left teaching and or opened a shop selling and repairing watches.

I always had an interest in motorcycles and old cars even back then so to get lift's in his Riley's was a bonus.

I've got 2 Swain's in my Kelly's circa 1972 one on Bradway Rd (which is the continuation of Hemper Lane) Thomas E and one on Westwick Rd  (pararell  to Hemper Ln)  Jn. E . 

Happy Daze playing in the old allotments in what is now the Chancet wood estate.

1 hour ago, Rockers rule said:

did you know he could play the Trumpet?

He was our form teacher and English Teacher at one point. 

some one in class had a trumpet and Mr Swaine started playing it much to our surprise.

My Gran lived in the houses that sit above the road, corner Bocking Lane as it bends and where Greenhill Avn starts.

I used to visit my Gran on a Thursday straight from School and one day on passing me gave me a lift. it became a regular thing for a while.

I think he left teaching and or opened a shop selling and repairing watches.

I always had an interest in motorcycles and old cars even back then so to get lift's in his Riley's was a bonus.

I've got 2 Swain's in my Kelly's circa 1972 one on Bradway Rd (which is the continuation of Hemper Lane) Thomas E and one on Westwick Rd  (pararell  to Hemper Ln)  Jn. E . 

Happy Daze playing in the old allotments in what is now the Chancet wood estate.

You know 'John' rings a bell. 

1 hour ago, Rockers rule said:

8 hours ago, dsweetman said:

Was Miss Seniors christian name Collette?

I don't know to be honest at that age I never called her by her first name. She was always lovely to me, I was shy as a child and she took me under her wing. 

1 hour ago, rachelmum said:

I don't know to be honest at that age I never called her by her first name. She was always lovely to me, I was shy as a child and she took me under her wing. 

I asked because there was a girl called collette senior who was teacher training whilst in the 6th form at the gregg school when I was about 12 or 13years old and I had a massive crush !!!That would have been around  1957/8.

Edited by dsweetman
added dates

I went to Carterknowle after going to Holt House. I left in 1978.

I remember the headmaster, Mr Guest. In the first year, I was in Miss Evan's class, then Mrs Cullum's, then Mrs Smith's. I also remember a few others, like the rather scary Mrs Page, and the scary dinner ladies Mrs Hunt and Mrs Barnsley who wouldn't let you leave the dining room until you'd eaten most of what was on your plate.  Back then the school had its own little swimming baths we used once a week, and also a playfield at the back which they'd open occasionally in the summer. Once a week we had assembly in the morning where they usually played the overture to the Nutcracker Suite as we filed into the the central hall and sat cross legged on the floor, our knees rubbing against those sitting next to us. They used a hand bell to call us all in from play time. The first ring meant to stand still; the second ring meant to line up at the door.

On 21/12/2019 at 08:30, Nic T said:

I went to Meersbrook Bank in the 60s and 70s. From there to Newfield Comp. Mr Ellis was the head at Meersbrook. Favourite teacher was Mrs Dowse. I went to fetch a football one dinner time, that had been kicked over the school wall. Was caught by Mr Pope on playground duty. Had to go to his room before registration. He gave me three good whacks with an enormous slipper, in front of his whole class. It hurt so much I nearly peed myself. Was 7 at the time. My name's Nicholas,  Nic Tivey.  Good old days. Anyone else remember Meersbrook bank?

I went to Meersbrook bank around 1970-1972 and remember Mr Ellis (can't remember what he looked like though). He gave me the cane on the hand when someone talked to me in assembly and I turned to answer them. Unbelievable wasn't it.   I remember waiting outside his office.  I used to giggle a lot in class and remember having to stand outside with my hands on my head.  My name was Trigg back then and I had 2 older brothers who went to Newfield School too - Andy and Steven.  I remember them joking about Mr Pope.  I have great memories of living on Thirlwell Bank.     At school I remember sitting on my own under those archways and having school lunch which I dreaded every day for some reason. There was a big stone barrell I used to play in after school which was in the playground.  I don't remember much else apart from recorder lessons. I would love to look around the school now. My brothers and I are thinking of visiting Heeley for the first time to reminisce.    I also remember walking home through Meersbrook Park on my own with all my school paintings on the last day of term and catching the bus on my own to school when my brothers left.

Charnock Hall, my favourite teachers were Mr. Fox &  Miss Bee

Swallownest Infants and Junior School = September 1945 to July 1951

Victor - Subang Jaya, State of Selangor D.E. Malaysia