Fuming at 71 year old's 10 hour wait at NGH

Is it that rediculous though? If the department is that busy that there is not enough space for everyone once a patient has been examined, investigated etc they can be placed in the corridoor, yes its not ideal but what else can the staff do, they are stuck. If this didnt happen the next persons compaint would be 'i took my 90 yr old nan in and she couldnt be examined for x hours because they wouldnt move the last patient out of the room'. If a patient needs to be in a room, either because if infection risk or they are for end of life treatment then they will stay in the room, otherwise a sensible decision for the good of all the patients in the department will be made.

just one thing, do NOT tell me what to do. I f you read I stressed that this was just MY opinion. I wonder if next time your in hospital, and something like this happens to you, you will be perfectly happy, being stuck in a corridor, where everyone is passing you, with nothing on but a hospital gown. As I'm sure you would be more than happy for this to happen to you. You have no idea what she was in hospital for? your simply making a snap judgement, becuase you feel that you can. You didn't even acknowledge the rest of what I said. I am sure that your are an expert on the good of all patients though . . .

Hey hold on, where have I told you what to do? Where have I made a judgement? Where have I said I am happy that this happens?

I acknowledged that the situation is not ideal but explained why it is as it is, no need to jump down my throat for that. I anticipated a reasoned conversation about working practises in a&e if you're not capable of that then fair enough but do not accuse me of things I have not done.

I dont claim to be an expert on the good of all patients but I do have a fair amount of experience in that area.

i think you have to accept that the A+E dept is very busy (overun at times) as its one of the largest and busiest in the region/country. thats not saying its good/bad but just mad busy at times. last night - no problem getting attended to immediately and very professionally by very caring staff.

I have to say ,been on the receiving end of patients from A&E we have so many time wasters,what we call regulars ! These patients take the A&E staffs valuable time away from really genuine patients,like the ones we are talking about ! These people know exactly how to play the system and do it regularly and are not in the least bit bothered,because they are the most self centred people I have ever had the misfortune to meet,but they keep coming into A&E and its not fair ! Half of the time,it is like a meeting of friends for them on the ward,cos all the regulars know each other so well and milk their stay for all its worth ! They are all sat round their mates beds laughing & joking and going off the ward for crafty cigs and generally taking the mick ! It takes us forever to get rid of them ,costing the NHS even more money ! Its not fair on A&E staff,cos they have a " Duty of Care" to look after all patients,but this is ridiculous ! These people need stopping from coming into the Department,but I really dont have an answer ! So unfortunately we are always going to have the problems spoken about on here until something can be done about these waste of space time wasters

No, he was a 10 week old baby..... who diagnosed himself, and he walked in on his own to the relevant ward, without need of A&E. What do you think?
Obviously he was triaged.

Is it that rediculous though? If the department is that busy that there is not enough space for everyone once a patient has been examined, investigated etc they can be placed in the corridoor, yes its not ideal but what else can the staff do, they are stuck. If this didnt happen the next persons compaint would be 'i took my 90 yr old nan in and she couldnt be examined for x hours because they wouldnt move the last patient out of the room'. If a patient needs to be in a room, either because if infection risk or they are for end of life treatment then they will stay in the room, otherwise a sensible decision for the good of all the patients in the department will be made.

The problem here is that too many replies are constructed from Ifs & buts. Staff standing round talking and drinking tea/coffee (as witnessed by two unrelated people at different times is hardly pushed out as I was told) and no other patients in sight, with just one person taken through from the waiting area in over two hours especialy without the mythical triage on duty is hardly good considerate care.

The problem here is that too many replies are constructed from Ifs & buts. Staff standing round talking and drinking tea/coffee (as witnessed by two unrelated people at different times is hardly pushed out as I was told) and no other patients in sight, with just one person taken through from the waiting area in over two hours especialy without the mythical triage on duty is hardly good considerate care.

So the staff aren't entitled to a cuppa? Are they expected to go the whole 12 hour shift without a drink, a meal, or a comfort break?

My own experience of working in the NHS was that if you had the opportunity to grab a comfort or refreshment break, then you took it, because you never knew if the opportunity would arise again during that shift if you delayed taking it. This was in Learning Disability nursing, God alone knows how much more multiplied the difficulties would be in an A&E department.

So the staff aren't entitled to a cuppa? Are they expected to go the whole 12 hour shift without a drink, a meal, or a comfort break?

My own experience of working in the NHS was that if you had the opportunity to grab a comfort or refreshment break, then you took it, because you never knew if the opportunity would arise again during that shift if you delayed taking it. This was in Learning Disability nursing, God alone knows how much more multiplied the difficulties would be in an A&E department.

Wow now the whole of the A&E dept shuts down so that the satff can have a tea break.

Once again you ignore what has been said, they guy who came out ealier said that they were just stood around talking and drinking tea/coffee the same as we found when we went through because there were no patients throught there! Which part of that don't you understand?

And please remember if your objecting mind will take it in There wasn't a triage operative present to assess those waiting!:loopy:

Talk about a brick wall.

She's not allowed food or drink for the operation. I know it sounds harsh but she could just ask for another blanket?

You obviously dont understand the need to not eat and drink before a general anaesthetic or sedation. When you "go to sleep" at the beginning of a general anaesthetic you loose your reflexes, one of which is the one that stops stomach contents from rising out of the stomach into the throat and mouth. If you had any food in your stomach at the start of the anaesthetic the danger is that it can come up the oesophagus and go down the trachea into the lungs. The worst result of which is death, the least is that you would be woken up without having had your operation and put on a course of antibiotics and with a very sore throat, having had your trachea washed out with saline. So thats why the patient was not allowed to eat or drink as they were expecting to go to theatre, even though they didnt

Sorry for the late reply - don't come on here as often as I used to...!

All I wanted to say is - fair enough. I understand what you're saying. However, I do think it shouldn't be *too* big a job to keep people informed though - and for people to see that not all people can sit in a hard chair for that length of time. My mum certainly couldn't. :)

I am adding to this thread now because I too had my op cancelled yesterday. Having been messed about since November I finally got to the TAU yesterday .. Had my bloods taken and mrsa swabs done as I had had my pre op in November and it was ten weeks past that date.

Was initially told I would be going down roughly 2.30.

I was not allowed to take my Oramorph because of the anesthetic and pain killers used during and after the op .. And I had also forgotten to pack my tramadol. So all I had was Diazepam and Paracetamol.

By four I sent my husband back home to collect my case .. We live 30 miles away.

My operation would take two and a half hours ..

I didn't realise the theatres shut at 6pm apart from the emergency ones that run 24 hours.

At 5 my surgeon came and gave me the news that sadly I wouldn't be operated on that day.

I appreciate that this was because the last surgery over ran .. Something that can't be helped at times, but why did no one tell me before 5pm???

Apparently my surgeon was ready and willing to operate, but theatre staff are not forced to stay beyond 6pm.

I'd like to say a big thanks to them .. My journey home was agony and I am now in severe spasm.

I am, at this moment, deliberating whether to actually have this surgery as the stress of yesterday has caused me physical and emotional problems.

My thanks to my surgeon who was willing to carry on .. But why was I not told earlier, knowing that the operation was a good two and a half hours on the operating table? Surely the nursing staff have seen this sort of thing before.

Well, my thoughts are .. In any other job, if you have a list of stuff you have to do that day, you finish it, even if it means a call to say . "running late, won't be home till .. " but that's just my opinion and I don't know the rules and regulations for the NHS.

.. And I can understand if you are staying IN hospital and need an op, that they can be cancelled at any time as it depends when all staff needed can get together. I had this experience last May ..but luckily they found another person to replace the one who was needed elsewhere and mine wasn't cancelled but it wouldn't have mattered if it had been because I was in hospital getting sufficient pain relief and care.

Edited by Saffy