Fuming at 71 year old's 10 hour wait at NGH

I spent a lot of time there when my nephew was very ill, yes, thanks.

In A&E????????????????????????

The occasional one may do, the vast majority don't. Especially at night.
So you've been there and monitored it have you?

Ambulances don't tend to use blues and twos once they are in the hospital grounds. They don't tend to be necessary, by then. They are only really used at night to ease the way through traffic lights.
And you'ver been there as well monitoring it, it is totaly ridiculous to say they're only used partialy at night, they need to been seen more in nightime conditions than in the daytime:rolleyes:

plain talker makes a quite legitimate observation, Ambulances usually switch off sirens as they enter hospital sites and may well switch off their blues as well, even if they have a time critical patient aboard.
Nobody expect them to use sirens within hospital grounds, but they do use their flashing lights as a warning of there arrival and to other road uses.

So you've been there and monitored it have you?

yes i have

yes i have

In what capacity? Do you collect ambulance numbers?

In what capacity? Do you collect ambulance numbers?

No I dont. I do however witness ambulances driving in hospital grounds (inc CRH), on a very regular basis.

well i acctually work in the northern general operating theaters cleaning them after operations and i know for a fact osbourn theater dont get used on a friday as thats my theater so y not use that? its pathetic tbh

Osborne Theatre ? that would be the one in the Spinal Injuries Centre which is a seperate building from the rest of the hospital, also unless things have dramatically changed it doesn't have any staffing of it's own - Ortho scrubside use to have to staff the theatre and recieve and recover patients when I worked there ...

thats a spinal injuries theatre surely? what good would that be?

my mum was admitted to NGH last night, non emergency, 3hr wait for ambulance due to this fact and admitted to a bed within 1hr, without any complaint.

Osborn theatre is in the SIC building but could be used for all sorts of operations - the majority of work done there is soft tissue / plastics and urology as the Neurosurgeons Operate at the Hallamshire ( and patients would got to the neurosurgical unit post op) and the Ortho surgeons who do back surgery )used to and probably still) have their spines list in the Main theatres.

the principal issue with using the Osborne theatre for none SIC patients is that you would then have to transport patients back across to the main hospital site immediately from it;s very small PACU ...

I personally prefer the Hallamshire as I feel it is genrellay a better looked after hospital, and treats it's patients better. Though this is only my opinion. I have friends who work in both hospitals and all say they prefer working at the hallamshire.

When taking my 90 year old nan in, she had a room, went to have a consultation with the doctor and then when we all came back, her room had been given away, so the staff plonked her on a bed in the middle of the ocrridor with only her hospital dressing gown on. I understand that the NGH is a very busy hospital, but that was ridiculous.

Is it that rediculous though? If the department is that busy that there is not enough space for everyone once a patient has been examined, investigated etc they can be placed in the corridoor, yes its not ideal but what else can the staff do, they are stuck. If this didnt happen the next persons compaint would be 'i took my 90 yr old nan in and she couldnt be examined for x hours because they wouldnt move the last patient out of the room'. If a patient needs to be in a room, either because if infection risk or they are for end of life treatment then they will stay in the room, otherwise a sensible decision for the good of all the patients in the department will be made.

In A&E????????????????????????

No, he was a 10 week old baby..... who diagnosed himself, and he walked in on his own to the relevant ward, without need of A&E. What do you think?