Fuming at 71 year old's 10 hour wait at NGH

I'm sorry to hear of all the negative experiences people are having. I believe that these can be directly attributed to the changes the coalition government are making to the NHS and things are only going to get worse, especially if the bill goes through the house of Lords. The politicians say that the changes will improve patients care but it is evident from these experiences that is just not the case. If you feel that the NHS reforms should be amended or abolished you can join a petition at

And let the government know you oppose the bill.

political grandstanding , not even disguised as concern or information.

the fact is that many of the problems the NHS faces are down to 2 principal factors

1. The amount of money the Liarbore (mal)administration wasted on dismantling perfectly adequate systems and structures And replacing them with watered down versions which remove t choice and prevent clinicians from making clinically appropriate referrals in favour of 'ideologically sound' systems to prevent clinical excellence .

2. the vast bloated armies of politicsl commissars appointed to enforce the pointless metrics of the Liarbore Maladministration.

I

I am adding to this thread now because I too had my op cancelled yesterday. Having been messed about since November I finally got to the TAU yesterday .. Had my bloods taken and mrsa swabs done as I had had my pre op in November and it was ten weeks past that date.

Was initially told I would be going down roughly 2.30.

I was not allowed to take my Oramorph because of the anesthetic and pain killers used during and after the op .. And I had also forgotten to pack my tramadol. So all I had was Diazepam and Paracetamol.

By four I sent my husband back home to collect my case .. We live 30 miles away.

My operation would take two and a half hours ..

I didn't realise the theatres shut at 6pm apart from the emergency ones that run 24 hours.

At 5 my surgeon came and gave me the news that sadly I wouldn't be operated on that day.

I appreciate that this was because the last surgery over ran .. Something that can't be helped at times, but why did no one tell me before 5pm???

Apparently my surgeon was ready and willing to operate, but theatre staff are not forced to stay beyond 6pm.

I'd like to say a big thanks to them .. My journey home was agony and I am now in severe spasm.

I am, at this moment, deliberating whether to actually have this surgery as the stress of yesterday has caused me physical and emotional problems.

My thanks to my surgeon who was willing to carry on .. But why was I not told earlier, knowing that the operation was a good two and a half hours on the operating table? Surely the nursing staff have seen this sort of thing before.

I really do sympathise with you, it's awful to wait around and waste a whole day then have your op cancelled.

However, blaming theatre staff is not really fair.

A shift in theatre starts at 8am and your official finish time can often be 7pm.

Many of us do stay beyond our finish time regularly, which is unpaid by the way. Surgeons, anaesthetists, nurses and ODP's are all real people with real lives and sometimes there are childcare issues, transport issues., illness etc.

We would all love it if every patient was operated on time and on the day they are supposed to. Yes, it's annoying when you are told at a late stage thats it's not possible but this is because staff have been trying really hard to make alternative arrangements. Operations are only cancelled when every possibility has been exhausted and only as a last resort. It is not a decision which is taken lightly.

This is the NHS we are talking about and staff levels are down to minimum. Staff are under extreme pressure. So please don't blame theatre staff, they can't provide extra funding for more staff. The blame lies much, much higher.

Jojo .. you're very true in this. I was very annoyed at the time because I have piddled about since last November re. dates .. and I actually did say, "I'll believe it when I come around from the anasthetic".

I don't blame the theatre staff .. I appreciate all you say .. I wish however, I had known that it closed at 6 so that I didnt have to send my husband on a 30 mile journey, only for him to have to turn straight round and come and collect me. Perhaps a little more communication in the TAU is required. The Staff Nurse in TAU did enquire and was told they were still operating in "my theatre" before my husband left, so why not say be prepared, this might be cancelled. Bearing in mind my op is just under 3 hours long ..

Never mind .. I can't change anything and these things do happen .. but I desperately needed a RANT! :)

Edited by Saffy

Jojo .. you're very true in this. I was very annoyed at the time because I have piddled about since last November re. dates .. and I actually did say, "I'll believe it when I come around from the anasthetic".

I don't blame the theatre staff .. I appreciate all you say .. I wish however, I had known that it closed at 6 so that I didnt have to send my husband on a 30 mile journey, only for him to have to turn straight round and come and collect me. Perhaps a little more communication in the TAU is required. The Staff Nurse in TAU did enquire and was told they were still operating in "my theatre" before my husband left, so why not say be prepared, this might be cancelled. Bearing in mind my op is just under 3 hours long ..

Never mind .. I can't change anything and these things do happen .. but I desperately needed a RANT! :)

Yes, it seems the communication did leave alot to be desired and they could have at least warned you that it was a possibility. When you get a new date for your surgery, make sure they have put you first on the list. That is usually the case with someone in your situation but not always, again there can be flaws in communication. If you are not down to be first then demand that you are!!

Hope all goes well for you next time and that you have a speedy recovery.

A friend of mine was livid because he couldn't find his father after his father had a stroke. He made 3-4 phone calls to Hallamshire, NGH and police and eventually got directed to NGH. NGH said they didn't have him. Finally he was found to be at Hallamshire and not booked in correctly. Could have died and my friend not able to find him to say goodbye. The admin is a joke in this city sometimes. The commitment to proper processes and procedure seems 50 years behind other cities in the UK. What is wrong with Sheffield? On the plus side everyone says it is very friendly, but who cares if a place is "friendly" if it is not good at what matters. Sorry to rant.

A friend of mine was livid because he couldn't find his father after his father had a stroke. He made 3-4 phone calls to Hallamshire, NGH and police and eventually got directed to NGH. NGH said they didn't have him. Finally he was found to be at Hallamshire and not booked in correctly. Could have died and my friend not able to find him to say goodbye. The admin is a joke in this city sometimes. The commitment to proper processes and procedure seems 50 years behind other cities in the UK. What is wrong with Sheffield? On the plus side everyone says it is very friendly, but who cares if a place is "friendly" if it is not good at what matters. Sorry to rant.

He was probably admitted as an emergency and all the attention was probably focused on saving his life, rather than getting his personal info correct to the letter.

Why not praise the people who saved his life rather than criticise the admin staff???

How did your friends father get to the hospital?

just a thought for those who have had ops cancelled, delayed etc ... perhaps you should direct your ire to other patients who are given appointments and just dont bother turning up.

our department has a dna rate that beggars belief ... people think its ok to just not turn up! we have to wait to ensure the patient doesnt turn up late and that holds others up ... and the number of patients who have ranted at me because they have turned up late and are then being kept waiting is unbeleivable! i try and let patients know when there is a delay, but its not always easy to do so when you have to keep your list running and chaperone and sort out problems and deal with enquiries ...

I know it's annoying to say the least when operations get cancelled, my husband had one cancelled on the 23rd December and it still hasn't been rescheduled.

But can I just say to all those moaning about the NHS..staff are not deliberately going out of their way to p*ss you off. On the contrary. They are doing the best that they can with the resources they have and under difficult conditions.

I work for the NHS on a surgical ward and we do our damn best every single day.

And while I know it's not possible I'd like everyone complaining about the NHS to have just one shift on a busy surgical ward and see exactly what it's like.

I love my job and wouldn't consider doing anything else but please just remember that most of us go to work to try and make a very emotional, frightening and difficult time in your lives just that bit easier. And I speak as a patient AND a member of staff.

just bear in mind the crap that the A+E staff have to deal with at the NGH with drunks/fighting/abuse every week, plus the time of year with trips/falls/elderly people taking up beds and causing emergency ops to rise, its got to have a knock on effect on non urgent ops.

just a thought for those who have had ops cancelled, delayed etc ... perhaps you should direct your ire to other patients who are given appointments and just dont bother turning up.

our department has a dna rate that beggars belief ... people think its ok to just not turn up! we have to wait to ensure the patient doesnt turn up late and that holds others up ... and the number of patients who have ranted at me because they have turned up late and are then being kept waiting is unbeleivable! i try and let patients know when there is a delay, but its not always easy to do so when you have to keep your list running and chaperone and sort out problems and deal with enquiries ...

Surely the answer to that would be that,

If the patient is not there on time- for whatever reason- then rather than have the consultants and doctors sitting around twiddling their thumbs till the scheduled patient arrives, and, (stop me if you don't think this is logical....) if the next patient is there, already, waiting, take THEM through to see the doctor, then when the doctor has dealt with that patient, bring the next one through until the late patient HAS arrived.... Rinse and repeat, until clinic has finished and the late patient(s) is/are DNA'd

Hows about that for a brilliant and scintillating idea?

Edited by Plain Talker
(to put the missing "I" in "If" )

Surely the answer to that would be that,

f the patient is not there on time- for whatever reason- then rather than have the consultants and doctors sitting around twiddling their thumbs till the scheduled patient arrives, and, (stop me if you don't think this is logical....) if the next patient is there, already, waiting, take THEM through to see the doctor, then when the doctor has dealt with that patient, bring the next one through until the late patient HAS arrived.... Rinse and repeat, until clinic has finished and the late patient(s) is/are DNA'd

Hows about that for a brilliant and scintillating idea?

must admit i cant see why after 5 mins late they cant just move onto the next person waiting, then make anyone who turns up late wait while the end of the session to fit them back in. as you say, not rocket science!