Fuming at 71 year old's 10 hour wait at NGH

how many of these surgeons are actually working full time at the ngh or other hospitals, instead of just filling in when their private patients have been taken care of :suspect:

.....but yet they still keep letting more and more people from overseas stay......

I wondered how long it would be before some blamed the immigrants.

*sigh*

.....but yet they still keep letting more and more people from overseas stay......

Thats something that would need discussing in another thread it dosent belong in here.

The only point you made was that about your Father in Law, and that was addressed. So I'm not sure where they missed the point.

Utter rubbish.

Yes you would. There are countless examples.

If arranging surgery is so easy, why don't you apply for a job in the NHS arranging surgery? You could corner the market with your ideas.

I'd like to hear what these countless examples are?

I would never willingly work for the NHS - it would be too frustrating seeing the daily lack of care, but if I had to, I'd invent something called an appointments system. (genius - I know) Then I'd ask people to arrive in good time to do all of the pre-op stuff, allowing for some flexibility. I wouldn't invite 10 people to come in at 7 am knowing that the earliest I could see at least one of them would be 9 hours later!

This morning after a 12 week wait my 71 year old mum went into the NGH for a scheduled gall bladder operation.

She had to be there at 7am and couldn't have anything to eat or drink since last night. No one could wait with her, and we were told to call the hospital at 12noon to see if she had gone down for her operation. My sister had taken the day off work to be on standby to pick her up after the operation. We called the hospital at 12 and she was still waiting.

Mum txt me at 3 to say she was still in the waiting room with a blanket around her and she was freezing cold. At 5:15pm Mum was told they wouldn't be able to do the op today and they would write to her giving her another date. She has head ache and back ache with sitting on the upright chairs for 10 hours

Mum has respiritary & heart problems and has had the trauma of going in to the hospital, not having anything to eat or drink since yesterday and now the anxiety of having to go through this all again.

I appreciate that there may have been an emergency come in today but surely this is not acceptable?

I am really sorry to hear what happened to your mother. I hope she is ok.

I would suggest maybe next time you or your sister go with your mother to make sure she is treated with care.

Im not confused at all. The nhs hasn't forgotten how to care for patients, the country is over populated and yes the nhs are struggling but the fact is we have to put up with delays its a pain but thats how things are unfortunately.

you're father in law or anyone else for that matter couldn't come at an hrs notice the nurses have to do obvs before anyone has an op.

In my experience, my parner's experience and my father-inlaw's experience, then yes - they have forgotten how to care.

An hour is just an example - the point is that they invite people to come in up to 9 or 10 hours before their op, which is completely unnecessary and down to inept organisation.

I'm sorry to hear about your mum, but can I just tell you about when I was the focus of the other side of her story?

I was diagnosed with cancer when I was 26 and was originally diagnosed as terminal. I had a very large and fast growing tumour in my shoulder which was causing major problems with the blood supply to my arm and in order to make me more comfortable the surgeons at the RHH decided to remove the tumour.

I had a number of scans of the area and they thought they knew what they were dealing with, which would involve about 3 hours of surgery. Unfortunately they weren't aware that the nerves to my right arm ran through the middle of the tumour and they weren't aware of this right up until I was under the anaesthetic and open on the table.

I was first down to theatre that morning and as a result of finding out exactly what was involved in the tumour the surgeons of both teams joined together to complete my surgery, spending 10 hours picking bits of tumour off the nerves to my arm. I woke up late in the evening in intensive care and I'm alive now because of it.

As a result of my operation somewhere between 10 and 20 other people didn't get their operation that day. I feel guilty about how many people had to have their operations reorganised as a result of my illness, but in such a situation as mine what are the surgeons meant to do? Sew the 'problem person' back together and leave them half operated on in order to fit other people in, or leave a person who has had a serious bleed or heart problem during surgery to put a person who is not currently at risk under an anaesthetic for their operation?

It isn't in anybody's interests for this sort of thing to happen, including the list organisers and the surgeons. There's no way that they would do this on purpose but it is an occupational risk of running a hospital that ill people, sometimes critically ill people, appear at your door in need of treatment or surgery, and sometimes things don't run in accordance with the lists because of this.

Granted, leaving someone cold and sitting in an uncomfortable chair for 10 hours is hardly a good example of patient care. I spent a similar time waiting for an operation myself earlier on this year and know that it's no fun. If you're at the end of the list there's not a lot else that they could do other than keeping people warmer and providing more comfortable chairs, is there?

my grandfathers in there now he went in with a broken hip 10 weeks ago since going from a chaty old fella he as now had 2 strokes got msra and now basicly does not know who we are any more seems to me they dont give a toss about the elderly these days. check this link http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/6127514/Sentenced-to-death-on-the-NHS.html

I quoted this moan because it's shorter than the moan in the OP.

Try living in a country without free health care and look at your post again.

10 weeks in hospital would cost around 40 week's wages for my maid.

Now look at your moan again.

how many of these surgeons are actually working full time at the ngh or other hospitals, instead of just filling in when their private patients have been taken care of :suspect:

And later on in the same hospital stay as the huge operation I had two other operations, both carried out in the early hours of the morning, both carried out by surgeons who were doing ward rounds just a few hours later, bright eyed and bushy tailed, trying to be friendly with patients despite having had no sleep because of my surgical needs.

Please don't tar them all with your biased brush.

The surgeons are contracted to do a set number of hours for the NHS, what they do out of these hours is their business.

Working for the NHS is a thankless job. No matter how hard we work and try to show compassion to all we care for, there will always be complaints. I work 12 hour shifts with a 30 minute break and hardly ever hear a word of gratitude. Its not us front line workers to blame its those holding the purse strings :sad:

I'm sorry to hear about your mum, but can I just tell you about when I was the focus of the other side of her story?

I was diagnosed with cancer when I was 26 and was originally diagnosed as terminal. I had a very large and fast growing tumour in my shoulder which was causing major problems with the blood supply to my arm and in order to make me more comfortable the surgeons at the RHH decided to remove the tumour.

I had a number of scans of the area and they thought they knew what they were dealing with, which would involve about 3 hours of surgery. Unfortunately they weren't aware that the nerves to my right arm ran through the middle of the tumour and they weren't aware of this right up until I was under the anaesthetic and open on the table.

I was first down to theatre that morning and as a result of finding out exactly what was involved in the tumour the surgeons of both teams joined together to complete my surgery, spending 10 hours picking bits of tumour off the nerves to my arm. I woke up late in the evening in intensive care and I'm alive now because of it.

As a result of my operation somewhere between 10 and 20 other people didn't get their operation that day. I feel guilty about how many people had to have their operations reorganised as a result of my illness, but in such a situation as mine what are the surgeons meant to do? Sew the 'problem person' back together and leave them half operated on in order to fit other people in, or leave a person who has had a serious bleed or heart problem during surgery to put a person who is not currently at risk under an anaesthetic for their operation?

It isn't in anybody's interests for this sort of thing to happen, including the list organisers and the surgeons. There's no way that they would do this on purpose but it is an occupational risk of running a hospital that ill people, sometimes critically ill people, appear at your door in need of treatment or surgery, and sometimes things don't run in accordance with the lists because of this.

Granted, leaving someone cold and sitting in an uncomfortable chair for 10 hours is hardly a good example of patient care. I spent a similar time waiting for an operation myself earlier on this year and know that it's no fun. If you're at the end of the list there's not a lot else that they could do other than keeping people warmer and providing more comfortable chairs, is there?

Why should you feel guilty, your need was greater than theirs!