Photography Beginner

Hi all,

I'm new to photography, it has recently become something I have found great interest in. Would love it if you guys could give me some ideas on where to get some good shots? As close to Sheffield as possible. I have a Nikon D5000 with the AF-S Nikkor 18-55m VR Kit Lens.

Cheers, Dan

A walk down Sheffield canal making your way towards Tinsly is a good starting point..lots of interesting subjects there from wildlife to old factorys

Nice one, thanks for that :D I'll be sure to check it out.

looking at your location, you have botanical gardens for flora and fauna, Ecclesall road for people/ shop fronts. You can walk through Bingham park up towards Ringinglow for landscapes, I guess what I'm saying is just get out there and the photos are there for the taking. Remember the ability to see a photo is the most important thing, it doesn't matter how good your kit is, if you can't see the photo you can't take it

looking at your location, you have botanical gardens for flora and fauna, Ecclesall road for people/ shop fronts. You can walk through Bingham park up towards Ringinglow for landscapes, I guess what I'm saying is just get out there and the photos are there for the taking. Remember the ability to see a photo is the most important thing, it doesn't matter how good your kit is, if you can't see the photo you can't take it

Dave we are going to have to set a group meet up..there hasn't been one on here for a while pal

There is above, some good advice but it's lacking in one important respect.

You have to decide what you like to take photos of. I found an interest in human interest type photos so take pictures of life around me.

You may like some other field but snapping what interests you would be a good start.

Years ago, I did a photography course where we had to do a small album to pass the course.

I used a theme of "Beauty and the beast" that involved nice places naffed up by man.

Rubbish in the corner of a corn field and so on.

Edited by upinwath

You could also take a look on flickr, they have quite a few sheffield groups to pull some inspiration from.

Rivelin Vally is about 5 miles walk from one end to the other. so many tracks and trails to go through. Some hidden treasures too.

Your biggest set back is going to be yourself, what you like, what you can tolorate (weather etc), you available time and as said the ability to spot a shot in a scene.

a peice of advice is not feel stupid when out and about, get on your knees, see things from different aspects. get up high see the world. not everythnig is on eye level.

If you want some basic reading to get your head round how to maybe set the camera up for specific shots, try undertsanding exposure by bryan patterson which explains the ISO, Shutter speed and aperture realtionships. I beleive its in its 3rd edition now and harrison cameras sell it for £20 but can be picked up online opr any good book store.

There is above, some good advice but it's lacking in one important respect.

You have to decide what you like to take photos of. I found an interest in human interest type photos so take pictures of life around me.

You may like some other field but snapping what interests you would be a good start.

Years ago, I did a photography course where we had to do a small album to pass the course.

I used a theme of "Beauty and the beast" that involved nice places naffed up by man.

Rubbish in the corner of a corn field and so on.

Try something different, its a good thing. For years every one of my photographs was of a bird or animal or sports and apart from holidays that has been what I liked and so thats what I did. Going out on SF photo meets got me photographing graves, ruined castles and even walls and trees for texture, I enjoyed the challenge.

Your beauty and the beast idea sounds ideal for a SF photo group project, we all look for the naffed up places where we live and post 'em on here...... thoughts?

Dave we are going to have to set a group meet up..there hasn't been one on here for a while pal

yeah we should, I'm restricted to Sundays though and I know thats not good for you. How about one evening? City centre after dark, we have the illuminations, the shop fronts, the cathedral. Anybody interested??

yeah we should, I'm restricted to Sundays though and I know thats not good for you. How about one evening? City centre after dark, we have the illuminations, the shop fronts, the cathedral. Anybody interested??

I am up for that as long as there is a few of us with the yobs hanging around town at night,,,you cant be too carefull nowdays