Taxi drivers who cant have passed test

i have my driving test in a weeks time. i've been driving around with my L's on for a few months and i must say that 9 out of 10 times i've had to practice my emergency stop, its because a taxi driver has pulled out on me, flung open the door, cut me up, undertaken, not indicated and in one case, stopped and started reversing back towards me (without checking his mirrors) because he missed a turn (probably because he didnt know where he was going in the first place).

i'm 99% confident i'll pass first time, but 100% confident that most taxi drivers have not

i have my driving test in a weeks time. i've been driving around with my L's on for a few months and i must say that 9 out of 10 times i've had to practice my emergency stop, its because a taxi driver has pulled out on me, flung open the door, cut me up, undertaken, not indicated and in one case, stopped and started reversing back towards me (without checking his mirrors) because he missed a turn (probably because he didnt know where he was going in the first place).

i'm 99% confident i'll pass first time, but 100% confident that most taxi drivers have not

I think sometimes think learner drivers are part of why accidents happen:o

I work at a venue in the town centre where a well known taxi company have an agreement in place where we pay a set amount to reception and get a taxi home. Not according to the driver last saturday. He denied my work has an account with them, denied I paid, and then told me to get out of his taxi because I didn't pay him on the spot as he requested.

Most don't no what a NO ENTRY sign means... nor a NO LEFT TURN sign. They have their own highway code.

The worst I have ever witnessed was again one I used using the venues account. He drove at 80+mph in the WRONG LANE, and I shouted to pull over and Id walk the rest. Ofcourse he said No and drove like a <enter word> anyway. Reported him and never heard anything back.

I did my knowledge ten years ago, I know most places in Sheffield mostly in the north, but i might struggle around Killamarsh, Kiverton PK etc..,a sat nav will help me out won't it? They won't be no driver in Sheffield that knows EVERY SINGLE STREET it's just practically impossible, sat-navs are useful to find street No's on dark country roads (drives me mad) and if i get someone who wants to go to another city then they come in handy too.

Also most drivers have the sat navs on for speed cam alerts.

The amount of people that post stuff on here before thinking about it is unreal, i've said this before too, next week it will be the bin men followed by bus drivers :hihi:.... then back to Taxis again:love:

You missed out teachers, haven't noticed anyone having a go other than on the day of action thread. Mind you give it 3 weeks if the snow comes then that will be all the ammo needed.

there is no way some of the new drivers would be able to pass what we did.

I beg to differ.

I first took my knowledge test about 8 years ago (and failed :( ) That consisted of 100 routes from / to different points in Sheffield. These could be learned 'parrot fashion' which meant in effect a 12 year old could pass.

I didn't retake it until 3 years ago - and it has changed. Now besides the english / maths test you have to actually describe in detail to a council examiner how you would get from point A to point B, on what roads you'd travel and what landmarks you'd pass. Now, which is the more difficult???

Taxi drivers have always (and will continue to) get a bad press, sometimes quite rightly. I've been in taxis when the driver quizes you when you mention Stanington...... But for every unhappy customer there'll be 5,000 happy ones who's journey goes without any trouble.

As is now the case though, with forums such as this, people would rather come on here spouting (sometimes) rubbish about bad drivers instead of actually contacting the taxi company / licencing authority which is quite easily done.

lets get something straight shall we...the modern day taxi driver is not good i who has been involved in this industry in and out for the past 23 years knows they lack knowledge of the city,they lack basic communication and mostly they lack any level of customer service.

who is to blame? there is only 3 sets of people to blame.

1.Sheffield City Council

2.The taxi companies who employ them.

3. The general public who dont complain enough to the above 2

This is all fact deal with it

I beg to differ.

I first took my knowledge test about 8 years ago (and failed :( ) That consisted of 100 routes from / to different points in Sheffield. These could be learned 'parrot fashion' which meant in effect a 12 year old could pass.

I didn't retake it until 3 years ago - and it has changed. Now besides the english / maths test you have to actually describe in detail to a council examiner how you would get from point A to point B, on what roads you'd travel and what landmarks you'd pass. Now, which is the more difficult???

Your 'begging to differ' seems to imply that it was easier in the past.

So you tell me which is more difficult?! :huh:

"A 12 year old could pass the 'easier' test in 'parrot fashion'"... yet you failed it?

I don't get your reasoning. :huh:

Are you suggesting that I'm a parrot, or that you are incapable of acting as one? :hihi:

(also it was 215 routes when I did it)

Edited by *_ash_*

Agreed but this drivers area he normally works in might be Halfway, Westfield thus might struggle around Hills, however if he worked around Hillsboro' and he didn't know where Bradfield Rd were then yeah I see your point :loopy:

Unfortunately the driver (private hire) I was behind the other day did know Bradfield Road. :roll:

Its the one with no left turn from Middlewood Road. When he decided to turn left anyway, he almost knocked down the people crossing with the Green Man signal. When the traffic lights are on green to go straight across Hillsborough corner, it should be safe for pedestrians on the crossing on Bradfield Rd. I'm surprised no one was knocked down.

I've seen other drivers do the same thing, but I'd expect a professional to know better. I didn't get the name of the firm or I'd have let them know.

I blame the council,they should make tests harder ,rotherham is just the same and the cars some are very old !

Last week I got a taxi from Lane Top to The Crown at Owlerton and the taxi driver did not have a clue where he was going, I then got on a tram into town then at the end of the night I got a taxi from top of West St back to Lane Top and got charged a tenner, I do this often and it's never a tenner it was ablack cab and it was a clear run nearly all the way back but he went the wrong way - shock horror, and yes I did explain this to him !!

Last Saturday I asked a taxi driver to take me to Hillsborough Interchange, as I live nearby and thought that would be the most well-known drop-off spot - he answered 'I don't know what that is.' :confused:

we are always out and about doing delivery's, and some taxi drivers are very good drivers and some just don`t seem to no what they are doing at all, I think this goes for all drivers at some point on the roads!!