Vibrating platforms do they work

thanks for all the replys i think youve made my mind up i wont bother with buying one wasting my money

They are AWESOME for stretching. I am fairly fit but have never been able to touch my feet..... Within two minutes of using the machine I was there.

Best way of using them I've found is to do some running, stretch on the plate and then run more...... Feels great.

i use one for the massage function at my gyms, they're good but as said, not a substitute. you need to get into regular cardio vascular exercise, it ain't easy.

They won't make you lose weight but they WILL make you tone up- lots! I am naturally slim so maybe I notice a difference quicker, but I only have to have a couple of sessions and am more toned.

I had a personal trainer session to show me how to use it properly, and basically you do the same toning exercises you would do normally- for me that includes squats (for legs + thighs), planks (for stomach and core muscles) and sit ups/ leg lifts (for stomach). I also use weights when doing the squats. You basically hold the pose/ crunch for the 30 seconds + it is so much harder as your muscles are fighting against the vibrations.

I do each exercise twice and use it for about 20 mins and I am sweating when I finish!

When using it I am more toned than I have ever been!

I think people who say it doesn't do anything and that it is a waste of money are either not using it properly and are literally just standing there 'wobbling' or maybe need to do some cardio/ keep fit first to get rid of a fat layer before noticing if the muscles are toning up? I would definately recommend being shown how to use it properly tho cos I wasn't convinced about it till I did!

But this person clearly can exercise, as they're asking about a vibro plate - you do realise you have to do exercises on them, not just stand there?

They probably can but I wasn't referring to the op not being able to exercise I was referring to the post that said the ONLY way was through healthy eating & exercise

Don't buy one yet, but try one. Lots of places do free trials so you can make your own mind up.I have been using one for about 10 months and I think they are brilliant (as a gym hater). I have gone down two dress sizes with healthy eating rather than dieting but have been static for 3 months so I am now having to diet and losing weight again. They don't just wobble your fat but passively extend and flex your muscle cells very fast which unfortunately wobbles your fat inelegantly at the same time.

There are three different types of plate which reflect the buy or hire price.

Cheapest is the seesaw side ways rocking type that you find at lots of hairdressers and ebay. To buy these start at about £150. They are good but hard on the joints and definitely not for people with bad backs, hips or knees.

The other two types of plate move vertically and are much more expensive.

Powerplate costs between £5-10 grand as does Turbosonic. Powerplates tend to be found in gyms. The only place I know in Sheffield with a Turbosonic is Lynda V Price on Bannercross which is the one I use.

Turbo plates are very effective because they exercise you anaerobically which uses far more energy than aerobic exercise. (think back to your chemistry lessons and ATP production - Production of energy anaerobically uses 19 times more calories than aerobic energy production). Ideally though you should really do both types of exercise. I don't know a lot about the Powerplate because i haven't used one. But for the Turbosonic you really do just need to stand there in your normal clothes without shoes for 10 minutes a day, you don't even sweat. The machine works on soundwaves which as they alter frequency exercise different muscle groups. I am not kidding you can actually feel the different muscle groups being worked.It even exercises your pelvic floor! Turbosonic is also excellent for sports and injury recovery.If you ring in advance she will usually give you a free trial.So you don't have to take my word. Normally costs £100 per month but she has a £50 offer at moment which keeps extending thankfully.If you don't like exercising in public and don't like getting sweaty this is the place to go. I think some places in Sheffield do the Flabelos (seesaw type) for about £20 a month but seesaw plates can be rough on the joints if you have any health problems.

They won't make you lose weight but they WILL make you tone up- lots! I am naturally slim so maybe I notice a difference quicker, but I only have to have a couple of sessions and am more toned.

I had a personal trainer session to show me how to use it properly, and basically you do the same toning exercises you would do normally- for me that includes squats (for legs + thighs), planks (for stomach and core muscles) and sit ups/ leg lifts (for stomach). I also use weights when doing the squats. You basically hold the pose/ crunch for the 30 seconds + it is so much harder as your muscles are fighting against the vibrations.

I do each exercise twice and use it for about 20 mins and I am sweating when I finish!

When using it I am more toned than I have ever been!

I think people who say it doesn't do anything and that it is a waste of money are either not using it properly and are literally just standing there 'wobbling' or maybe need to do some cardio/ keep fit first to get rid of a fat layer before noticing if the muscles are toning up? I would definately recommend being shown how to use it properly tho cos I wasn't convinced about it till I did!

I've done virtually the same thing as NewupNorf on the Powerplate, including personal training sessions, but noticed no difference at all. I'm also fit and pretty slim, being a marathon runner, but thought it made absolutely no difference to doing the exercises without the plate.

Personally, I think bootcamp classes made far more difference - but different things work for different people.

Clearly though, Powerplates do work for some people if you're prepared to put in the effort and work hard on them. Standing still and wobbling does nothing. From the responses here, I'd say the key is definitely to try them out at the gym before buying one at home. I don't know about the private gyms, but Ponds Forge do free training sessions on their Powerplates and the staff are really helpful.

I would still maintain though, that vibro plates are no substitute for cardiovascular exercise and aren't an easy short cut to a toned body. Good luck!

If you want to drop dress sizes and get rid of the fat, come to our fat burning bootcamps.

• 8cm lost from waistline and bottom in 6 weeks
  • 5cm lost from each thigh in 5 weeks
  • Ladys in their 50s, getting back to the dress sizes they had in their 20s
  • Post baby mums getting their figures back in weeks
  • Men regaining abs after over 20 years

These sessions come at £4 or £4.50 a week, and make no mistake THEY DO WORK!!!

For £75 you could be training for 16-18 weeks.

All sessions very sociable and fun

Edited by Shef_Fitness

different things work for different people.

I would still maintain though, that vibro plates are no substitute for cardiovascular exercise and aren't an easy short cut to a toned body.

I agree- you need to trial it at a gym with proper instruction before deciding if it's for you or not and yes, you need to still do some cardio to keep fit. Although the powerplate tones me up 10 times as fast as not using it, I don't think it would be as effective without a cardio warmup first!

i was just wondering if anyone has used the exercise vibrating platforms that they have in many saloons do they work it says it guarantees to drop dress size in 3 weeks are they worth buying ??? i was thinking of getting 1 :huh:

i dont know if they work but my next door neighbour has one and it drives me nuts i can hear the buzzing all around the house and she seems to spend ages on it

:rant::rant:

They are AWESOME for stretching. I am fairly fit but have never been able to touch my feet..... Within two minutes of using the machine I was there.

Best way of using them I've found is to do some running, stretch on the plate and then run more...... Feels great.

They are really great for making the bits of you that want to be tense be un-tense aren't they?

I have a problem with my hamstrings and hip flexors becoming too tight, which result in all sorts of other problems with my body, including really serious pain in my knees which I thought was something really serious.

I haven't been able to go to yoga classes for some time (they clashed with another obligation and my finances can't cope with starting again at the moment) so I was really struggling with my hips and hamstrings- but not any more, since I've worked out how to do industrial hip flexor stretching on the power plate :)

Best bit for me is that you can easily exercise very hard to exercise muscles. The Turbosonic (I can only speak about the Turbo) works through different frequencies as you stand there doing nothing. At frequency 13 to 16 it can exercise your facial and neck muscles so even though I still have more weight to lose (size 14 now) I no longer have a double chin, my face and neck are much slimmer which is a massive boost. And all for just 10 minutes a day. It's like a free facial really because it exercises other areas of your body at the same time. I just wish I had known about it years ago. It even soothes away tension headaches and shoulder stiffness. The only downside to it being at Lynda V Price is that you get tempted to have other beauty treatments but I usually try to wait for Groupon vouchers.Even my Dad uses the Turbosonic now. I just wish i could afford the £10,000 to have one in my house.