Ground Rent (N.L. Moffitt & Partners)

Yes - the lease holder will cover a range of houses within the land.

No. The leaseholder is the person who (usually):

a. owns one house; and

b. has to pay ground rent to the freehold reversioner.

Hi

We moved house in June of this year and I have received the ground rent notice. Its backdated to March 2009, so I presume I wouldn't be responsible for paying all of it since we wasn't living in the home at that time.

Actually, you are liable for it, and your solicitor should have picked up that it hadn't been paid when you purchased the house

Jeffrey?

I agree with the other posters on checking WHO you're supposed to pay it to though - it could just be a scam merchant who spotted the sold sign

Actually, you are liable for it, and your solicitor should have picked up that it hadn't been paid when you purchased the house.

Yes. It's like pass-the-parcel; whoever owns the leasehold when the demand arrives has to pay it.

EXCEPT that:

a. there's a time limit of six years for the freehold reversioner (F) to sue for any arrears [s.8 and s.19 of Limitation Act 1980]; and

b. any demand for ground rent on a house/flat has to be in a prescribed format- or at least contain prescribed information- or else it's invalid [s.166 of Commonhold and Leasehold Reform Act 2002].

Would a reputable business have a PO Box number? I think Ltd companies aren't allowed and if a plumber gave us an estimate with a PO Box as his business address we'd all, rightly, run a mile...

Would a reputable business have a PO Box number? I think Ltd companies aren't allowed and if a plumber gave us an estimate with a PO Box as his business address we'd all, rightly, run a mile...

Yes. Many do, inc. my firm. Who could ever tell at what time of day/night Royal Mail might deign to deliver post?

At least with a P.O.B. one can call at the sorting office [0700-1100hrs., I think] and grab it.

Oh, and yes- even limited companies can have P.O.B. facility (but not, I recall, for a registered office address).

Yes. Many do, inc. my firm. Who could ever tell at what time of day/night Royal Mail might deign to deliver post?

At least with a P.O.B. one can call at the sorting office [0700-1100hrs., I think] and grab it.

Oh, and yes- even limited companies can have P.O.B. facility (but not, I recall, for a registered office address).

I appreciate that, not if it was the only contact available though..No phone number, email, nothing....It just seems mighty iffy and if the company are legit they seriously need to sample some public relations training...:D

I pay my ground rent to this company. I had problems when I remortgaged, they never answered any of solicitors letters and I ended up having to Pay £200 indemnity insurance as they had to count them as an absent landlord. They ground rent demand arrived a few weeks later. I wrote to them and told them about the problems we had, they just wrote back saying "its not our fault everybody knows who I am". the post code is actually the head post office and his letters are forwarded to a private address in Sheffield which I now know, if I have any further trouble I know where to find them.

I'm remortgaging and my solicitors have contacted N L Moffitt and Partners by mail a few times without getting any response. Does anyone know if they have a telephone number or email address?  When I pay ground rent, I  send it to a P O B number. Thanks in advance to whoever is going to help.

If you've lived there long enough to remortgage why not buy the freehold?

Unless it's a flat of course.

On 02/01/2019 at 12:55, C. Sithole said:

I'm remortgaging and my solicitors have contacted N L Moffitt and Partners by mail a few times without getting any response. Does anyone know if they have a telephone number or email address?  When I pay ground rent, I  send it to a P O B number. Thanks in advance to whoever is going to help.

You can serve Notice of Claim even at a PO Box address.