Focus Mediation Experiences

Have any of you used, or know someone who has used, the services of Focus Mediation in Sheffield? Been involved with them recently over a contact issue and would be interested to hear any good/bad experiences or opinions about them. Thanks.

Presume that's a "contract" issue?

I haven't used them myself, I have heard of them. I'm not sure if I would use them to be honest, because effectively they are only doing what either party in a dispute should be capable of doing for themselves - i.e. communicating and negotiating.

Having said that, it's maybe easy for me to take that view because I'm experienced in communicating/negotiating whereas others may not be. But the point is, firms like these have no legal powers and they are not best equipped to advise you on your legal rights either - if it comes to that.

The advantage is that they will do the talking and listening that you might find difficult to achieve yourself if communications between you and the other party have broken down.

I wouldn't dissuade you altogether but the way I'd see it is this...

If you can resolve yourself with the other party, through open, transparent, communication - and a bit of willingness perhaps to see the other parties point of view (on both sides) then that's by far the best way to go.

If things are really bad between you and the other party and there is a risk that one or other of you could suffer some serious loss - financial or reputation - then you'd be better consulting a lawyer.

And if it's somewhere in between then ...well, why not I suppose?

Thanks for that. It's not for me personally but my friend, he's having a hard time getting to see his son (that's what i meant by contact, sorry, wasn't very specific in my original post).

He's been through a solicitor and it was the mother's solicitor that suggested the mediation. My friend is trying everything he can but is getting nowhere fast! He's more than willing to talk and co-operate but the mother wants everything her own way and it being very obstructive towards any attempts he makes to resolve this. Basically, the recent meeting he had was a waste of time and money to be honest, and as you say, the mediation provides no legal back up to whatever is discussed or agreed.

I was hoping someone might tell me that they had had a good experience through these people. . . . . . think I was hoping too much.

I appreciate your comments in your post. Thanks.

Mediation isn't free. You're charged by the hour. . . .and it's not cheap !