What age did you give your baby solids (well porridge/rice in a morning)

hello, first time mummy and struggling with all the different views on weaning and what age to start/what to give etc!! the doctors and HV contradict themselves plus without sounding rude, i'd rather just look at others and what there experiences are as you will have been through weaning first-hand!! :) What age did you give porridge or rice in a morning and what made you think they wer ready? sorry to be cheeky but thanks :)

It is so difficult to know who to listen to isn't it, but my first piece of advice would be to follow your child's lead.

My eldest daughter is nearly 13 now and back then you were encouraged to wean at 4 months. My HV back then put a lot of pressure on me to 'hurry her along' claiming she would not develop to ability to chew if I didn't. She clearly wasn't ready and showed no interest in food at all.

My second and third daughters (who are 2 & 4 now) were both weaned at around 6 months. We skipped the mush and went with baby led weaning and lots of finger foods.

Your child will give you plenty of signs to let you know that he/she is hungry, but do be careful not to mistake them early on with a general growth spurt.

If you do choose to wean before 6 months, which I see no problem with personally, be careful to avoid things that are gluten packed, ie rusks etc, although I believe they may do gluten free ones now?? Their systems are too immature to process some things. Another reason it is good to wait a little (unless they're clearly starving, lol) is they're more likely to be able to sit unaided which is obviously better for digestion after eating.

My son started trying to swipe food off our plates and eat it at around 5 months, so we decided it was time to start weaning! We started off with pureed fruit and veg and yoghurt, and tried to avoid gluten for the first few weeks (though I'm sure he did get the odd bit of toast). We didn't give meat or fish until after 6 months either.

We did try the baby rice and porridge options, but he just wasn't interested. Even now (approaching two) he seems to go for the strongly flavoured, rather than bland things - garlic bread, spicy wedges and mild chilli/curry all go down well! Do remember to be careful of salt though - recommended daily intake is very restricted when they're small.

Hi

It is very confusing isn't it. Everyone (including health professionals) seems to have a different opinion. The guidelines are still to wait till six months but lots of people do wean before 6 months.

If you wait till 6 months you don't actually need to go through the puree and porridge stage. If you want more info on Baby Led weaning have alook at the website below.

http://www.babyledweaning.com/

Hi

It is very confusing isn't it. Everyone (including health professionals) seems to have a different opinion. The guidelines are still to wait till six months but lots of people do wean before 6 months.

If you wait till 6 months you don't actually need to go through the puree and porridge stage. If you want more info on Baby Led weaning have alook at the website below.

http://www.babyledweaning.com/

Gosh, I wish I'd seen that website when my son was a baby.

I was exclusively breast feeding my son when he was 4 months old (eight years ago, weaning was recomended at 4 months).

I was put under alot of pressure by my HV to commence weaning. I was still feeding at night and was already completely exhausted, I remember being up at midnight most nights pureeing organic vegetables and freezing them in ice cube trays!

If I'd seen that website I'd have waited a few weeks and then chucked him a pork chop!

Edited by scoop

Both my kids were weaned at about 5 1/2 months old. Started off with purees of veg or fruit. Never bothered with baby rice. Then gradually upped it.

My son who is 2yrs was weaned at 4 months, started with baby rice and went onto other things after a few weeks, its hard to know when to start but my little lad was just not full on milk and was feeding all the time!!. For me 4 months was just right, follow your instinct and take the lead from your baby :)

first and second child 3 months because they were both gready babys, a 9oz bottle never did the trick, so they had baby rice first then I built it up from there.

I would like to point out that none of my children have food allegies or anything like that. You are there mum and despite what health professionls say it is not always best for you, at the end of the day they keep changing there minds on whats best so I would try to do what you think is right.

thank you for comments :) shes 3 n half months and i tried her with porridge in a morning, mixed with 1oz expressed milk as she seemed grouchy all the time and was really chewing on everything!! shes absolutely fine on it, tastes it with her tongue and smiles, screaming when its all gone. I do give it after milk though so im not giving her less milk and she seems to be keeping her milk down loads better as before she was quite sicky :)

HV has literally warned me that im not to give anything other than breastmilk and shes fine, just a mardy baby, however since giving porridge, shes happy all day and goes to bed at 10, not getting up until half 6!! if she wasn't settling with it, i would have stopped immediately. :)

There's a damned good chance she's teething

... but if you ask a HV, they'll prob tell you that they might be starting to grow, but it's not teething :loopy:

Are her gums hot? Are her cheeks pink?

If I'd not been so ill right through pregnancy, I'd have done baby led weaning. We did pretty much let H dictate the pace though. She's still breastfed at bedtime (20 months), partly for convenience, and partly because she doesn't get on 100% with cow's milk (fine on her breakfast though)

6 months for us

She wasn't ready before then anyway

I would be very reluctant to introduce solids before 6 months with next baby, but I never say never!

Every baby is different. The DOH guidelines say 6 months as they found baby's are able to sit up better( best position when eating so they can digest properly) and their digestive system is more mature to be able to digest solid foods. Weaning is not recommended under 4 months unless under professional care. Between 4 - 6 months see what your baby is telling you, if they start waking in the night more frequently, not settled after a feed, if on formula you have increased amount and still not settled or if weight starting to really slow down then they are ready to start weaning. Under 6 months stick to purée fruit/ veg or baby rice/ porridge. After 6 months all food groups can be introduced along with finger foods. Weaning before 6 months means to take it slowly, you just do things a bit quicker at 6 months. Salt intake is 1g or 0.4 sodium. Hopes this helps xx