How common are lead pipes in Sheffield?

Ah, I'd forgotten that Kaye - before the utilities were privatised, part of Sheff used to be Severn Trent water, and part was Yorkshire Water

That's still the case. Much of SE Sheffield (Mosborough etc.) is served by STW; the rest is YW.

The vendor - and our estate agent informs us that this (surveyors highlighted lead pipes) is happening more and more these days.

I can understand that there is an onus of the vendor to sort out, or contribute towards costs for a problem that affects their house in particular, but if it's an issue that affects a whole sector of the market, then it would make sense if potential buyers were made aware of this when they decide to look at pre-60's terraces, not get most of the way through the process, then discover there's something that may be an issue. Alternatively, agents could advise vendors of the issue BEFORE the house is marketed. I'm sure this would save a lot of strife on both sides in the long run!

Yes. Really, no sensible person would/should buy unless cold-water lead pipes are replaced.

Who pays should be a factor secondary to the health risks posed by lead dissolution in drinking water.

That's still the case. Much of SE Sheffield (Mosborough etc.) is served by STW; the rest is YW.
I know - I've given up trying to explain things properly on this forum as nobody reads posts properly anyway anymore

The vendor - and our estate agent informs us that this (surveyors highlighted lead pipes) is happening more and more these days.

I can understand that there is an onus of the vendor to sort out, or contribute towards costs for a problem that affects their house in particular, but if it's an issue that affects a whole sector of the market, then it would make sense if potential buyers were made aware of this when they decide to look at pre-60's terraces, not get most of the way through the process, then discover there's something that may be an issue. Alternatively, agents could advise vendors of the issue BEFORE the house is marketed. I'm sure this would save a lot of strife on both sides in the long run!

I sympathise! Are they also measuring the depth of your loft insulation (those regs have changed a number of times, and taking scrapings of all the paintwork in the house to test for lead paint? :loopy: This sort of thing drives me nuts - We damned well KNOW those houses were built with lead pipe,.. and that quarry tiled floors are probably laid on earth and compacted lime, and that those stairs to the loft room you find in most terraces don't conform to current fire regs, and that if your house is 3 storey current regs say it should be all firedoors throughout, and there's half a chance you've got a single glazed sliding sash window in the property still, and horsehair in the plaster (which may contain some horrid disease)... need I go on? ;)

I had a lead water supply coming from the road, under the front garden and into the house. I bought a roll of blue water pipe and a drainage spade and replaced it myself. Quite simple to do providing you keep the ends of the pipe perfectly clean/scratchfree to avoid leaks. At the same time Yorkshire Water did their part to the stoptap on the pavement, which made connecting up a lot easier.

Yes. Really, no sensible person would/should buy unless cold-water lead pipes are replaced.

Who pays should be a factor secondary to the health risks posed by lead dissolution in drinking water.

Your post implies that the health risks are real and significant.

I'm not necesarily disagreeing with you, but if this is the case, does this not mean that a large proportion of the population of Sheffield, let alone many other cities and towns throughout the country, are at risk of lead poisoning? Why hasn't there been a public outcry/awareness campaign if this is the case? Are there actually documented cases of lead poisoning that can be attributed to this issue?

Until recently, it was common for people to live in the same houses all their lives, so exposure would have occurred over many decades. I would have thought there would be many examples resulting from long term exposure if the risk was really significant.

I sympathise! Are they also measuring the depth of your loft insulation (those regs have changed a number of times, and taking scrapings of all the paintwork in the house to test for lead paint? :loopy: This sort of thing drives me nuts - We damned well KNOW those houses were built with lead pipe,.. and that quarry tiled floors are probably laid on earth and compacted lime, and that those stairs to the loft room you find in most terraces don't conform to current fire regs, and that if your house is 3 storey current regs say it should be all firedoors throughout, and there's half a chance you've got a single glazed sliding sash window in the property still, and horsehair in the plaster (which may contain some horrid disease)... need I go on? ;)

Not quite that bad, but getting there! It amazes me that any house older than 50 years ever gets sold!

I think lead pipes being flagged up is more of a maintenance than a health issue most lead supply pipes are as old as the house 100 plus year in some cases and due to metal fatigue the lead can become porous and start leaking thus causing damage to said property. Most insurance companies now class lead pipe repairs as temporary because lead is a metal that moves so fittings etc can de lodge. Should any one require lead pipe upgrades we have done plenty in the past and can offer free quotes.

unless you live in Wales where the rain water runs through granite when it hits the ground, you'll usually find that the lead pipes become lined with limescale, so pose less of a health hazard than they would have done new

I believe the advice is to run enough water to clear the volume that's been sat for any length of time, eg when you first get up in the morning, or when you come in from work

The water in sheffield does not react with lead and certainly has no calcium content to deposit.

There is no health risk in Sheffield as the soft water is non-corrosive to lead ie there is no reaction electrlytically.

I looked into this when I bought my house. I have a small length of supply pipe up to the stop tap which is lead.

I seem to remember that replacing it was more or less pointless. DEFRA suggest that many of the pipes fitted before 1970 might be lead. Certainly a majority in Sheffield would have some lead in the supply. That's the reason that water is treated with orthophosphate to prevent lead dissolution into the water. This was on YW website:

Modification of the treatment process (known as plumbosolvency control) reduces the amount of lead dissolved from pipes. Since 1995 we've installed this treatment at almost all of our treatment works.

We're already very near to full compliance with the future standard of 10µg/l, with more than 98% of all samples taken at customers' taps complying with this strict standard.

The water in sheffield does not react with lead and certainly has no calcium content to deposit.
Obviously Yorkshire Water have our property on its own supply then. Our shower and taps both get limescale deposits around them if not treated for it regularly