Finally Digital Region is available in my area.

The majority of packages provided are a completely unmonitored and uncontended meaning you can download what you want, I know even on BT Infinity your subject to a 100Gb fair usage policy which on a fibre based service is ridiculous.

It was 300Gb it's now 500Gb on BT FTTC - they do shaping though at peak on some stuff which is pants. FTTP has no limits atm.

It was 300Gb it's now 500Gb on BT FTTC - they do shaping though at peak on some stuff which is pants. FTTP has no limits atm.

They do shaping on P2P

You put some valid points through, but for me the possible move back to BT is because of the issues I have had with my connection since the time I've had it and the amount of time and money I've spent in proving it is not my equipment or BT line at fault.

I know VDSL2 is different technology to ADSL but when I was with BT I recorded being connected for over 40 days without any problems, with Digital Region I haven't managed over 9 days.

I've even looked at the cost of switching providers on the network to determine if it is a problem with the network or isp, but if you wish to move you have to pay another setup fee. If I move to BT there is no such fee payable.

In regards to throttling, the streaming of BBC Iplayer, On Demand, etc, etc via the BT Vision box does not go against your bandwidth usage. I use less than 100GB a month (ie current is Month: 6.1 GB / 36.6 GB (Out / In)) even thought I heard a rumour that DR/Thales had been saying I used over 250GB a month and was a high user.

Support wise, yes the support from my ISP has improved drastically since end of September but it's also down to the reliability of the network and it's because of this I am now looking to move away from it.

Hello,

Yeah I understand what you’re saying completely it’s never good if you’re paying for a service and not receiving what you should be. The VDSL technology is far superior to any ADSL and really unless a power failure occurs it should be very rare a VDSL connection resyncs!

Just out of curiosity with a modem configured in the bridge modem (Thales/DR Modem) how can you tell that the line is physically disconnecting and reconnecting or is this simply what your ISP is saying the NOC have told them?

Yes I completely understand what you’re saying with the BT packages they send all there traffic through certain gateways and IP’s that as you say do not go against your packages fair usage policy. IF you’re not a heavy user then this shouldn’t be an issue, I was simply making the point on the small print as some people wont of realised!

I have dealt mainly with two ISP’s on Digital Region; I am delighted with the service and support received via one but quite frustrated and fed up with another. If I’m honest my ISP got BT Openreach out as they believed that there was line fault. I did in fact have a problem from the cabinet to my house on BT’s D Side. It took two engineers around a day and a half to successfully get it sorted, although they were carrying out routine maintenance of their network whilst in man holes locating problems with my line. I know that Thales also swapped the line card in the cabinet to eliminate it been a problem after BT had done there bit.

I really think if you’re having problems and it’s not been dealt with properly you shouldn’t have to leave the DR network. You have paid an installation fee and of course will be paying your monthly fee to your chosen ISP. To be honest it’s down to your ISP to work with DR/Openreach now to sort the problem. If it isn’t BT’s fault then it’s likely to be a problem at the ISP’s end I would say! It sounds like you’ve had problems for some time though?

Yeah I think they are acutally the correct figures. I know if you go over you don't get charged but don't BT also throttle the hole of your connection for some time as well so its impossible to download as much?

Hello,

Yeah I understand what you’re saying completely it’s never good if you’re paying for a service and not receiving what you should be. The VDSL technology is far superior to any ADSL and really unless a power failure occurs it should be very rare a VDSL connection resyncs!

Just out of curiosity with a modem configured in the bridge modem (Thales/DR Modem) how can you tell that the line is physically disconnecting and reconnecting or is this simply what your ISP is saying the NOC have told them?

Yes I completely understand what you’re saying with the BT packages they send all there traffic through certain gateways and IP’s that as you say do not go against your packages fair usage policy. IF you’re not a heavy user then this shouldn’t be an issue, I was simply making the point on the small print as some people wont of realised!

I have dealt mainly with two ISP’s on Digital Region; I am delighted with the service and support received via one but quite frustrated and fed up with another. If I’m honest my ISP got BT Openreach out as they believed that there was line fault. I did in fact have a problem from the cabinet to my house on BT’s D Side. It took two engineers around a day and a half to successfully get it sorted, although they were carrying out routine maintenance of their network whilst in man holes locating problems with my line. I know that Thales also swapped the line card in the cabinet to eliminate it been a problem after BT had done there bit.

I really think if you’re having problems and it’s not been dealt with properly you shouldn’t have to leave the DR network. You have paid an installation fee and of course will be paying your monthly fee to your chosen ISP. To be honest it’s down to your ISP to work with DR/Openreach now to sort the problem. If it isn’t BT’s fault then it’s likely to be a problem at the ISP’s end I would say! It sounds like you’ve had problems for some time though?

I've had problems from around November last year - there was a huge thread on this forum that had the information in, but it was deleted (probably because it got out of hand, no mods have specifically said why). It's cost me money in time, replacement routers, a dedicated pc (as keeps logs after power off), bt engineer (found no fault but switched pairs in cabinet which never resolved anything) which I had to arrange, just to prove it was not my equipment or bt line at fault (the VDSL does not drop sync only the pppoe). Then the recent issues with speed during peek times (less than 5mb download sometime it was like i was back on adsl).

So as you can see for me the digital region network has not been reliable and have thus put in my request for a mac code - I wish the network had been reliable as when it works it is perfect and I don't dispute this.

Edited by walkerx

Yeah I think they are acutally the correct figures. I know if you go over you don't get charged but don't BT also throttle the hole of your connection for some time as well so its impossible to download as much?

I've had problems from around November last year - there was a huge thread on this forum that had the information in, but it was deleted (probably because it got out of hand, no mods have specifically said why). It's cost me money in time, replacement routers, a dedicated pc (as keeps logs after power off), bt engineer (found no fault but switched pairs in cabinet which never resolved anything) which I had to arrange, just to prove it was not my equipment or bt line at fault (the VDSL does not drop sync only the pppoe). Then the recent issues with speed during peek times (less than 5mb download sometime it was like i was back on adsl).

So as you can see for me the digital region network has not been reliable and have thus put in my request for a mac code - I wish the network had been reliable as when it works it is perfect and I don't dispute this.

Oh dear that’s far too long to be having problems with anything especially your broadband! It sounds like you’ve got quite an extensive amount of testing equipment to try and sort the problem out which I know will have cost you money plus your time dealing with the issue!

I have to say on the connection I am trying to sort for someone your problems sound similar. We too had to get BT to come out but as I did it through BT 151 Faults it meant that a lines engineer was sent and not a broadband SFI which is annoying but I knew it wasn’t a BT network problem anyway I did it just to eliminate it been with them again they just switched D side pair.

I honestly would say if you’re having issues try and speak with another provider I have been really happy with my service provider Origin you can read my review on the Digital Region website now! The fact that you mention that the VDSL isn’t loosing sync proves that the physical connection from the cabinet to your customer premises equipment is fine. If you’re noticing problems after that, which you say you are with regard to PPPoE then that would clearly be an issue with your ISP which you need to take up with them. Once your line is connected and in sync it’s simply rooted through your chosen ISP’s network. Your ISP clearly has a problem with their data centre which is causing the authentication to be lost and therefore a fresh PPPoE session to be established. ? I completely agree that when it works the connection is fine but when it’s a problem which it is frequently you experience a vast amount of problems. What package are you on such as 40/10 24/2 etc?

Have you talked with another provider on Digital Region? Or as I did speak to someone at Digital Region directly and explain the issues you’re having!!

Both Origin and ASK4 have both been very helpful in offering me help to resolve the problem, but I don't think the responsibility should lie on them diagnose and resolve it.

Ripwire have done a lot more in the past couple of months, especially with the feedback i've provided based on my findings and information i've received from dlink, smoothwal and particular members on this forum of which has been invaluable.

I have looked at moving to another isp on the network but with a £75 setup fee (i don't I should have to spend more money) and the problems could move with them causing them to then attempt to diagnose the problem which is not fair in my opinion.

I'm currently on 40/10 and if look at my sig you will see the best speeds I've obtained, which is the best since install.

Last time I spoke to someoe from Digital Region was back in June, but from the rumours I heard back in September I wouldn't trust anything that I get told from them, as if they can say I'm a heavy user, using in excess of 250GB a month to other isp's on the network when I use less than 100GB and has been proved and even now i've used less than 50GB for November, then how do i know they have provided correct information to my isp in regards to the ongoing issues i've experienced.

I did think about moving to Origin (they have package interested in and with the TV thing later is even better) or Ask4 (not seen any major pricing on their websites for stand-alone consumers) but as I've said though I've now asked for our mac-code and looking at moving back to BT, which is a shame but I want reliability and not having to deal with issues every week.

Edited by walkerx

Both Origin and ASK4 have both been very helpful in offering me help to resolve the problem, but I don't think the responsibility should lie on them diagnose and resolve it.

Ripwire have done a lot more in the past couple of months, especially with the feedback i've provided based on my findings and information i've received from dlink, smoothwal and particular members on this forum of which has been invaluable.

I have looked at moving to another isp on the network but with a £75 setup fee (i don't I should have to spend more money) and the problems could move with them causing them to then attempt to diagnose the problem which is not fair in my opinion.

I'm currently on 40/10 and if look at my sig you will see the best speeds I've obtained, which is the best since install.

Last time I spoke to someoe from Digital Region was back in June, but from the rumours I heard back in September I wouldn't trust anything that I get told from them, as if they can say I'm a heavy user, using in excess of 250GB a month to other isp's on the network when I use less than 100GB and has been proved and even now i've used less than 50GB for November, then how do i know they have provided correct information to my isp in regards to the ongoing issues i've experienced.

I did think about moving to Origin (they have package interested in and with the TV thing later is even better) or Ask4 (not seen any major pricing on their websites for stand-alone consumers) but as I've said though I've now asked for our mac-code and looking at moving back to BT, which is a shame but I want reliability and not having to deal with issues every week.

Yeah I would say that both Origin and Ask4 are very good but I wouldn’t want to say overall for Ask4 as I think I made the best decision and chose Origin!

I take it you are with RipWire then. I guess in a way you are helping that to diagnose problems that like ours appears to be affecting a wide range of people on their services.

The moving of services on the Digital Region network does appear to be a costly and not straightforward process. The fact that once you’ve been with any ISP your line has been jumpered from the normal voice cabinet to the fibre cab and finally sent to your home. This means that really when switching provider there is no need to dispatch an Openreach Engineer as the line is already connected. The only change needed to move provider would be the NOC switching the routing of line and sorting a Cellpipe configured to work with the chosen ISP. However, they seem to want to disconnect the line and then re connect it which means a loss of service. I think when a lot of customers start pushing for internal switching of ISP’s some kind of internal MAC will be developed allowing a quick and easy change.

The speed you receive on your signature would be the speeds that without been harsh to you I receive constantly from Origin. In fact, it’s normally better if anything and I have occasionally seen the odd test at 35Mb down but not for any length of time.

I did and didn’t find Digital Region helpful but once I was on the phone and got it mentioned to a few people I guess my name was soon known in the office so they wanted to get it resolved ASAP. The fact that the routing on their side and VDSL sync was fine they got onto the ISP and I think gave them a kick to sort it pretty prompto! I have always found the information from the NOC to be pretty helpful and accurate so I wouldn’t want to say that they are lying it makes me wonder if RipWires records are wrong and there checking the wrong line but I guess they will have already double checked.

If you ask me your probably worth speaking to Origin again and seeing want they say. I’ve spoken with both Oliver and Henri on a number of occasions who own the company and they seem to be very proactive and I’d say would do anything to help sort any problems (should you have any problems when you connect anyway). They also managed to get proper BT Openreach SFI Engineers along with a Thales engineers out to look at the whole of my line from the cabinet to the premises to find the root of my problems. They got it sorted within a few days and everything has been brilliant since! If you know that you have that kind of support and you’re supporting a South Yorkshire based firm with inland and in Yorkshire support it’s a lot better than moving back to the likes of BT. I know one person on BT FTTC from a Beauchief cabinet was off for three days due to a power issue in the cabinet. I would say with the rapid response of Thales that it would be a couple of hour’s maximum for any power outage to be resolved.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1587750509.png

Yeh, I spoke to Oliver when I was first thinking about moving and he was extremely helpful and I was going to move with them at the time, but told them I was going to give both Ripwire and DR a chance to resolve the problem.

I do think it is expensive to switch people over from what I know DR will ship out new modems with the new isp info on and you just swap them over and send your old ones back (yes unlike other providers you don't get to keep the modems). I don't think there is a need for another engineer to come out and physically do something at the cabinet.

I've even thought about fully going with Origin for the Broadband and Phone package, but it would then cost £125 setup fee and £40.

I would also probably be interested in the kind of TV package they are doing (is it going be something similar to BT Vision) and at what cost.

If I get a chance I may just give Oliver a ring tomorrow or later this week

Yeh, I spoke to Oliver when I was first thinking about moving and he was extremely helpful and I was going to move with them at the time, but told them I was going to give both Ripwire and DR a chance to resolve the problem.

I do think it is expensive to switch people over from what I know DR will ship out new modems with the new isp info on and you just swap them over and send your old ones back (yes unlike other providers you don't get to keep the modems). I don't think there is a need for another engineer to come out and physically do something at the cabinet.

I've even thought about fully going with Origin for the Broadband and Phone package, but it would then cost £125 setup fee and £40.

I would also probably be interested in the kind of TV package they are doing (is it going be something similar to BT Vision) and at what cost.

If I get a chance I may just give Oliver a ring tomorrow or later this week

Yeah I know what you’re saying with moving and with there been a cost it’s not something you’re going to do lightly. I suppose its best that you’ve given both Ripwire and DR a chance to sort the problem out for you but if it’s not sorted a year on then simply the ISP cannot sort the problem correctly for you. With your confirming it’s a PPPoE issue I guess that confirms the fault is with RipWire.

I guess it may have changed then now and Thales has finally decided they can simply send a new modem with the updated settings and then reroute your connection to your chosen ISP.

I would have said almost certainly that I will be taking advantage of their fully combined package including TV shortly. I am already on their top package so I will simply upgrade. I know that BT Vision is OK but there are not as many features as what Origin claim they will be providing.

I think it would probably be worth speaking to him again to see what they say and see what they can do. They may offer some kind of deal with the setup fee and you already been an existing customer on the DR network. I think that they will split the install cost across your monthly amount to help you out if you need it but speak to them and see what they say! I think if the line was problem and you were losing sync moving to BT would probably be a good option as there responsible for everything then. However, as you know the line sounds it’s all good and maximum throughout on your signature is shown so I would say it’s a fault with your ISP. Do you suffer from high ping times and slow responses as well?

Yeah I know what you’re saying with moving and with there been a cost it’s not something you’re going to do lightly. I suppose its best that you’ve given both Ripwire and DR a chance to sort the problem out for you but if it’s not sorted a year on then simply the ISP cannot sort the problem correctly for you. With your confirming it’s a PPPoE issue I guess that confirms the fault is with RipWire.

Just because the PPPoE session is dropping that doesn't necessarily put the blame with the ISP, all you can take from it is that some of the LCP echo requests and/or replies that form the keep alive are going missing or being ignored which is why the session drops. The LCP traffic could be going missing in either the DR or the ISP's network or it could be getting ignored by the PPPoE AC due to load issues or similar. With co-operation of the ISP it would be possible to work out where the problem lies as the LCP traffic can be traced via multiple packet captures.

As fnkysknky says this is not necessarily an isp issue and from tests performed they believe it is a DR issue which is another reason for looking at moving away from the network.

If I went with everything on origin and got new line installed this would elimate the bt line fully, but i could still have the issue if it's a DR problem the only thing is it would be higher to prove as they don't use pppoe at the moment.

As it's very hard to prove where the fault is we can neither blame Ripwire or Digital Region individually - Once it is fully proved then yes we can ask questions to determine why taken so long to resolve and what has been put in place to prevent this from happening in the future to other users.