Finally Digital Region is available in my area.

Hi,

18 months as standard. As I've said before, if you have any specific needs please let us know, we'll always see if there's a way for us to help out.

Ta!

I'm happy with my 50Mbit service from Virgin Media at the mo thanks, should I move house I would be interested in taking service from a local company.

18 months is a long time to sign up for a company I've never heard of...

In regards to the router query, surely it makes far more sense for the ISP to supply a router that they can support and have had training on etc? Would be crazy to expect them to support the 100's of different routers out there...

I don't use Vigin's supplied router but if I had any problems then I'd be plugging their router in straight away before contacting their support team to get help.

Edited by bkcin
typo

In regards to the router query, surely it makes far more sense for the ISP to supply a router that they can support and have had training on etc? Would be crazy to expect them to support the 100's of different routers out there...

Yes, to your average user. I'm not an average user. I've never phoned an ISP with anything other than line faults and generally get put straight through to 2nd line. I won't jump through the hoops most script fed CSR's want you to go though even when you tell them exactly what you've done already.

I don't agree that the router should just instantly be rolled into the cost of your contract. Something that will get stuck in a corner, the wife will throw away and then at the end of it all you get stung for the overinflated cost of a router. *Looking at you O2, I know those TG585v7's cost you less than £10 each*

At the end of the day with the DRL stuff, you have a modem you can connect your PC to directly if you have any problems.

Yes, to your average user. I'm not an average user. I've never phoned an ISP with anything other than line faults and generally get put straight through to 2nd line. I won't jump through the hoops most script fed CSR's want you to go though even when you tell them exactly what you've done already.

I don't agree that the router should just instantly be rolled into the cost of your contract. Something that will get stuck in a corner, the wife will throw away and then at the end of it all you get stung for the overinflated cost of a router. *Looking at you O2, I know those TG585v7's cost you less than £10 each*

At the end of the day with the DRL stuff, you have a modem you can connect your PC to directly if you have any problems.

I see your point, and agree in part - the problem is that most people are an "average user". You're bound to get people trying to save 2p by selecting the option without an router as they already have a BT homehub lying round, they then find out that its the wrong sort of router and buy some other random router and then expect the ISP to give them full support for it.

I didn't mind having a cheapish Dlink router thrown in with my package from Virgin - making good use of it as an access point at the moment,

Edited by bkcin

I see your point, and agree in part - the problem is that most people are an "average user". You're bound to get people trying to save 2p by selecting the option without an router as they already have a BT homehub lying round, they then find out that its the wrong sort of router and buy some other random router and then expect the ISP to give them full support for it.

I didn't mind having a cheapish Dlink router thrown in with my package from Virgin - making good use of it as an access point at the moment,

Maybe they should be some sort of double secret "Advanced" package, where you have to answer a series of technical questions to qualify.:hihi:

Maybe it should be extra cheaper as you're not going to be ringing up asking them how to open ports, or set wireless passwords :D

Edited by Greengeek

Maybe they should be some sort of double secret "Advanced" package, where you have to answer a series of technical questions to qualify.:hihi:

Maybe it should be extra cheaper as you're not going to be ringing up asking them how to open ports, or set wireless passwords :D

Sounds good to me.

Sounds good to me.

Lets say we offered this super secret package, where would you guys like to find the prices and specs?

Lets have some ideas!

My (Oliver's) idea is (Redundant source code on the package page)

Show it in the list with the rest of them, but hide the price.

Advanced Package:

40mb/1mb

No Third Party Router support

No Router

Cost: POA.

Still too easy for the non-techies to find.

Back to the drawing board.

Ooooh, now Bethere (current provider) have said if I stay with them they will do my BB for half price for 12 months, with the promise of fibre in the short future(no install cost).

Descisions, descisions.

I reckon that will be off the back of the BTI system.

I imagine so, well my Mac code has now been requested so just a matter of waiting, should have super speed bb by crimbo.

Just reporting that I've now been called by Origin, and the lack of contact over my two problems has been cleared up satisfactorily. Seems I was just unlucky, and action had already been taken to prevent a similar recurrence. These things happen... All rankle now gone :)

So are your usenet speeds better now? :)

So are your usenet speeds better now? :)

I'm looking forward to the 4+ mb/s download on usenet.