Finally Digital Region is available in my area.

I think I'm probably ready to sign up to Origin, but I have a couple of generic questions:

1) Does anyone know if Origin does a "refer a friend" scheme (one of my mates was asking me)? I know I can just ask Origin this, but I also need to know if:

2) Anyone has any experience with Vodafone Sure Signal (the femtocell-over-broadband gizmo that delivers voda 3G to your house) on Origin? I hear tell it doesn't play nice with some router/ISP combos (although from their forum I suspect that a lot of this is PEBKAC).

So I thought I'd post here and I might drop on to the Unofficial DR forum too.

Cheers in advance!

Hope the following answers your questions

1) Yes they do have a refer a friend system

2) No the SureSignal will not work on Digital Region connection, unless they have updated the product since April last year which is doubtful.

I only know the answer to the first question - yes. From memory I think you get a one off payment between £5-10 and 50p off every bill for every customer you recommend.

While I'm in this thread, I have noticed that Infinity are installing their fibre cabs next to the DR ones. I've noticed two locations on my way to work - here and here. And infinity have put a poster on their cabs advertising the service, can't DR do the same?

Yes BT are installing cabs in the area, some are smaller than the DR cabs as TalkTalk and Sky are going to use the BT Infinity product to supply their VDSL2 services.

But if you wish to discuss Digital Region and any of the ISP's then have a wander over to the unofficial forum where the members and isp's may be able to answer any question you have

I think I'm probably ready to sign up to Origin, but I have a couple of generic questions:

1) Does anyone know if Origin does a "refer a friend" scheme (one of my mates was asking me)? I know I can just ask Origin this, but I also need to know if:

2) Anyone has any experience with Vodafone Sure Signal (the femtocell-over-broadband gizmo that delivers voda 3G to your house) on Origin? I hear tell it doesn't play nice with some router/ISP combos (although from their forum I suspect that a lot of this is PEBKAC).

So I thought I'd post here and I might drop on to the Unofficial DR forum too.

Cheers in advance!

Hi Chris,

Well been an Origin customer and having used Vodafone Sure Signal devices I think I can help you!

Origin Broadband does offer a ‘refer a friend’ scheme. With every recommend you pass on or they tell Origin on your behalf you get a one off £5 discount off your bill, along with a reoccurring 50p off per recommend every month for the duration of your service with them! The benefits are good as once you have a few referrals your bill is significantly cheaper every month!

With regards to the Vodafone Sure Signal devices, these do work on the Origin Broadband network and appear to be pretty stable at all times when I had one as a temporary measure. I use to have a work phone on Vodafone and signal wasn’t brilliant so I got a Sure Signal and it soon rectified the problem, the only thing you may need to change in your router is the ‘maxmium MTU packet allowed’ setting so a little tweak and it will work.

If you need reassuring I have been with them for nearly six month now with no problems, a good reliable constact sync on the line and throughput has never gone under the 35Mbps mark on download. The ping times are also good so browsing is fast and once more should there be a problem all who I have spoken with at Origin are more than helpful and they will do their best to sort anything as quickly as possible!

It may be worth singing up to the Unofficial Digital Region Forum as there is a lot of discussion on all ISP’s and technical aspects along with reps from Digital Region and all the ISP’s on the network so you’ll normally get several opinions and a response from someone who knows things inside out! Simply logon to http://www.drlforum.co.uk and we will be happy to help you on there!

Ta

Matt

Hi,

Just to clarify, it's not us! Our number still works and we're taking orders. In fact at the minute, we're taking so many that our 10 to 14 working day turnaround is being stretched a little.

Neil

Neil,

is the above 'stretched a little' an understatement? i have been waiting since 20th Feb and still havent got a connection date yet. i assume the process cannot be as simple as phone up bt and get them to switch my line over?!

i was wondering, what is your position within Origin?

Cheers

John

Edited by john22rob

Neil,

is the above 'stretched a little' an understatement? i have been waiting since 20th Feb and still havent got a connection date yet. i assume the process cannot be as simple as phone up bt and get them to switch my line over?!

Cheers

John

Hi John,

Have you rung Origin themselves to see what the delay may be - Don't forget there has been a lot going on recently with the network - also we now have a dedicated Digital Region Community Forum where questions can be raised

Origin have had my application since 2nd February. I've emailed 2 or 3 times, 3 weeks ago they said early March. Now 13th and still not happened. They've got a backlog is all they say which they hope to clear soon.

Neil,

Cheers

John

well ive been waiting since 2nd Feb, i understand that it seems to be an issue with the BT Openreach engineers but the service / information i have received has been woeful, im having to ring them up even though all it would take would be a simple email keeping me informed.

i was told it would be a further 2 weeks last week i will give them untill then and if im still not connected then i shall be cancelling my order as its not worth the hassle.

Call me cynical but I imagine that BT are trying to make life difficult for Digital Region so that it goes bust in the near future. Then when it does BT can buy the network for a knockdown price! In a way I want this to happen because then the major ISPs will be able to use the network and I can upgrade my SKY broadband to fibre a lot sooner as there is a DR cabinet at the end of my street. Otherwise I'm going to have to wait another 2-3 years before infinity finally makes it to my street.

yes i have spoken to origin to be told it is because of a back log of customers due to the other isp going bust a week before i ordered with them. so if they new there was a back log.......they could have told me?

when i ordered with Origin they told me i would be be connected within 2 weeks!

they told me on Thursday 8th March i would have an installation date within the next 7-10 days. i doubt i will. Unfortunately i will prob end up cancelling my order as plusnet have offered for me to stay for £5/month. it may be slow but at least i'm connected!

TBH the whole digital south Yorkshire has been a big let down. i came across it by mistake 2 years ago and have been folowing it since. not once have i seen it advertised anywhere! the isp's are small and never heard of them. i requested info from all the isp's just over a year ago. the first company to get back to me took....wait for it.....6 months and that was the one that has just gone under.

maybe time to reconsider using the digital region?

Edited by john22rob

@Paddy why would BT want to pay for the network when they are already installing their own network?

@john22rob - this has been mentioned numerous times about advertising of the network - it is down to the ISP's to advertise their services

as mentioned we have started the Digital Region Community Forum recently to discuss any issues related to Digital Region and it's ISP's

@Paddy why would BT want to pay for the network when they are already installing their own network?

Because BT have currently only installed their network in the more affluent areas of Sheffield knowing that they will get a good return on their investment. I live in a less affluent area and it will be several years before BT Infinity arrives on my street. So as I said earlier if BT take over the DR network then the major ISPs will be able use it and I will then be able to upgrade to FTTC Broadband.

That may have been the original plan but now they are busy enabling INTAKE, not an area I would call affluent.

Although they do seem to be dragging their feet actually hooking up the cabinets on council estates despite the fact everything seems to be in place apart from the fibre itself. The cabinet local to me was wired for power months ago but is yet to be commissioned.

Not that I care, I get a far better service from Origin than any ISP using Infinity is likely to deliver. You would have to be crazy to stay with PlusNet rather than waiting on Origin getting their backlog under control, its WELL worth the wait.

why don't you check http://www.bt.com/infinity to see if you can get it yet.

they have installed in a lot of areas recently and i don't think they will pay for another network which runs alongside their own network.

remember plusnet, sky and talktalk all use bt for their fttc product