Finally Digital Region is available in my area.

My ripwire service is still up and running (been with them since sept 2010h and to be honest, apart from a few extended outages it's been good. Speeds seem to fluctuate, but it's barely noticeable (and certainly not on latency sensitive apps like web browsing and the like).

So whats an alternative provide offering 40mbit and unlimited usage?

I know and have still got people connected to RipWire and the network as many people are saying is certainly not as good or reliable as Origin’s.

I am an Origin customer at home on the 40/10 service with no fair usage so totally unlimited for £25pm. The service is very reliable and I constantly receive 38Mb along with a ping of 25ms or less to most websites. The customer service is second to none and everyone I speak too is friendly and knowledgeable and no matter what time or day you call there always willing to help!

If I was you and in your position I would certainly ask for migration to Origin’s 40/10 package.

Hope the info helps!

The below is simply from another forum and has not been directly sent to me from RiPWiRE:

Dear RiPWiRE customers,

As you may be aware RiPWiRE has unfortunately had to cease

trading as of 01/02/2012. An option to maintain the current client requirements

is in negotiation with a leading provider and a conclusion to those

negotiations should be reached tomorrow. In the meantime core internet access

and service is being maintained by RiPWIRE.

RiPWiRE's network is and has always been independent of

Digital Region and as of this time is under our control only.

We are not in a position to provide any 1st line support at

this time.

Liam Winder

Managing Director

RiPWiRE.

If I was you and in your position I would certainly ask for migration to Origin’s 40/10 package.

Thanks for the info

I guess a migration woud be difficult whilst the whole "who owns the service" question is being answered? Certainly sounds like Origin would be a reasonable ripwire alternative - just depend who takes over my line..

Thanks for the info

I guess a migration woud be difficult whilst the whole "who owns the service" question is being answered? Certainly sounds like Origin would be a reasonable ripwire alternative - just depend who takes over my line..

Yes true. I guess once you get the letter from DRL explaining what is happening you can act on what they tell you.

If I was you I would get in touch with Origin soon to say you wish to migrate to them. I would of said they can earmark customers to move to them or request them if you have spoken to them etc. At the end of the day if the customer has a prefrence I feel DRL should really honnour that and allow you to choose your new provider!

I looked at all of them. Littlebigone were offering a proper telephone line and calls without going over VOIP.

Getting the phone line with them and the broadband worked out cheaper than getting BT to fit the line and their contract.

Not a fan of the 18month contract though, if your service is good your customers should want to stay, not be locked in.

I'd be interested to see how that would actually pan out legally, as Plusnet tried 18 month contracts and I think Ofcom shot them down.

Ripwire have short support hours, not that I really would need it but it's nice to know it's there if the network s**t itself one night.

Origin don't offer a normal telephone package.

DRBSY are expensive.

Ask4 don't offer a normal telephone package.

We've joined LittleBigOne and on the first day with them was shocked to learn their phone services are infact VOIP which is what we didn't want. Not at all mentioned on their website.

To those asking what router you get, we got a Zyxel P-2812HNU-F1.

We've joined LittleBigOne and on the first day with them was shocked to learn their phone services are infact VOIP which is what we didn't want. Not at all mentioned on their website.

To those asking what router you get, we got a Zyxel P-2812HNU-F1.

Do you use cordless phones at home? If so they aren't much different to using voip

Do you use cordless phones at home? If so they aren't much different to using voip

Tied to your internet connection though! If it goes down so does your phone.

At least cordless phones still work until you get a power cut, then you can have a standard phone ready as a backup.

Edited by TraceT

VoIP sucks compared to Plain Old Telephone System for a few reasons:

1) You cannot migrate your telephone number back to a normal POTS line once its moved over to VoIP. You can I believe migrate it to different VoIP providers but that is assuming you are not moving because your VoIP provider went out of business, in that case you lost your number and there is nothing you can do about it. Its the main reason I wouldn't even consider it and kept my line rental with Sky.

2) It costs as much as having POTS anyway, so why bother adding more technology into the mix?

3) If your sync drops while on a call your call is disconnected. Getting disconnected on POTS is rare.

4) If there is a power cut, you can't use the phone. POTS you can always use a wired phone as there is battery backup at the exchange.

5) Maxing out your bandwidth could potentially cause problems with VoIP. This is unlikely if VoIP is configured as a dedicated port on the cellpipe which I believe it is. However that may also mean a small percentage of your potential maximum bandwidth is always reserved to VoIP, so you will get a slower service than someone without VoIP. This all depends on how the cellpipe is configured, basically it leaves a lot of questions out there which bothers me.

For all these reasons they should have made it damn clear up front that it was VoIP as once its gone over you can't necessarily switch back.

There is also the fact that if I am using VoIP I don't want to ONLY be able to use a traditional telephone number. I want people to be able to call me over the Internet for free because there is no good reason to not be able to.

There are specific advantages to NOT using your ISP to provide VoIP too. For example if you use a third-party VoIP service such as sipgate you can log in both at home AND on your mobile, even at the same time - both will ring.

Granted that is only helpful if you are the sole user of the line, but you can easily signup for several different lines so you have a dedicated number per person. The "catch" of course is you have the same limitations that if your Internet connection/cell data drops, you get disconnected, plus it will use a LOT of battery power. But its useful if you are somewhere you can keep your phone on charge.

Edited by AlexAtkin

For all these reasons they should have made it damn clear up front that it was VoIP as once its gone over you can't necessarily switch back.

Something else they've not told us :rant:

They have said VOIP has priority over anyone using the internet. There are 2 dedicated ports for your phones on the supplied Zyxel router.

Thanks for the info

Apparently it's ASK4

Apparently it's ASK4

lol their office is opposite mine!!

As long as the terms are the same (£25/40/10/unlimited) and the speed it good then i'd try them out.

Would be nice if we were allowed to migrate to who we wanted though.

* Heres a posting on the unoffical ripwire forums

http://ripwire.netscapist.com/discussion/39/ripwire-migration-update-7212

i have just phoned digital region to find out what was happening and they said ripwire customers should get an email in next day or two and that ASK4 are taking over there customers. we will get a letter from them by end of week from ASK4 explaining switch. im just grateful i dont have to go back to a major provider as nothing but trouble with those but with digital region (ripwire) i have had none to be of concern shame they have gone as i was one very happy customer