Finally Digital Region is available in my area.

I think whoever told you that will have meant the BT PCP cab, not the DRL BSAN..

Origin guy said previously they use entirely different fibre cabs, and considering the 'animosity' between DRL and BT re charges I'd be surprised if they simply let them use their equipment.

this is what engineers were saying and i can't see the bt ones so not sure where i'm connected to then, as getting same speeds as when on DR so must be close.

I think this year there will be a lot more changes in regards to FTTC, as sky also release their anytime+ via the box to be accessible by anyone on any isp. and everyone seems to be pushing VOD services

yeah, gonna be interesting.. see if the networks can cope with the sustained increase in bandwidth.. as these things become more widespread the old 'crippling' of networks to make a fast buck is going to have to give way.

Not so sure about the Sky Anytime+ thing.. are they actually offering PAYG VoD (aka like BT Vision), last I read was you could only view stuff you're actually subscribed to which, to me seems just a bit pointless..

Interested to see what Youview will bring to the table... they should be starting to make some noises soon I guess..

also makes you think are they all going to start installing their own cabinets or have shared ones as can't see councils allowing more cabinets to be installed

Not sure but there is probably some Ofcom equivalency thing that means BT have to allow other operators to use their fibre network.. I imagine sky will do this in many areas, be interesting to see if they just jump onto Digital Region as a reseller, and they may actually lay some fibre in others.. can't see them going for a huge rollout of their own fibre.

And anyway, something will have to be done, it's going to be insane if every ISP out there that wants to offer 'super-fast' services they'll have to lay their own fibre!? that's just bonkers replication for the hell of it.. we'll end up with such a screwed up infrastructure in the UK.

Not sure but there is probably some Ofcom equivalency thing that means BT have to allow other operators to use their fibre network.. I imagine sky will do this in many areas, be interesting to see if they just jump onto Digital Region as a reseller, and they may actually lay some fibre in others.. can't see them going for a huge rollout of their own fibre.

And anyway, something will have to be done, it's going to be insane if every ISP out there that wants to offer 'super-fast' services they'll have to lay their own fibre!? that's just bonkers replication for the hell of it.. we'll end up with such a screwed up infrastructure in the UK.

I think sky have said they are going to initially use bt fibre for their service

If they do this is another blow to digital region in regards to big isp's coming onboard, when i think it is them that could help the product.

And after all the problems i had using a small isp that wasn't well known I don't think I would use one again in the future

Digital Region will have a lot of competition coming in from Plusnet, BT, Sky and TalkTalk which look to all be using BT Fibre services

Edited by walkerx

Not sure how true it is but heard one isp on the network has ceased trading and their support number is now dead

Not sure how true it is but heard one isp on the network has ceased trading and their support number is now dead

Hi,

Just to clarify, it's not us! Our number still works and we're taking orders. In fact at the minute, we're taking so many that our 10 to 14 working day turnaround is being stretched a little.

Neil

Just to clarify, it's not us! Our number still works and we're taking orders. In fact at the minute, we're taking so many that our 10 to 14 working day turnaround is being stretched a little.

You tell me that after I've just placed an order!! :-) It's not actually a problem as I can cope with my other DR connection for now.

Wonder if the story of an ISP folding is true - highlights how few people know about Digital Region perhaps.

Phil

Just tried both the voice and fax numbers for my ISP and they are both "the number you have dialled is not recognised". However, my internet is still working (although it has been a bit variable this week, fluctuating between 20Mb - 30Mb on speed tests all week. Usually it is a solid 34-35Mb)

Just tried both the voice and fax numbers for my ISP and they are both "the number you have dialled is not recognised". However, my internet is still working (although it has been a bit variable this week, fluctuating between 20Mb - 30Mb on speed tests all week. Usually it is a solid 34-35Mb)

Who is your ISP out of interest?

I have just been on the Digital Region website on the ‘Get Connected’ page as I wanted to find out when an area goes live for my friend! It would appear that RipWire are no longer listed so I was wondering if it was them who you are struggling to contact?

It seems strange you say your internet is still working though :/ I guess it could be a problem with their VOIP server and they use it there selves for inbound calls etc.

I also know people connected to RipWire who appear to be having no problems so hopefully some light as to what’s happening on the networks and the stories of ISP going under will be followed up shortly!

Hmm this is interesting then! The thing that is bugging me is if they had stopped trading like others say they have then surely your service would of been cut off?

Does the speedtest website still show your IP address as been a RipWire one etc?