Finally Digital Region is available in my area.

I know the drayek is and has been for the past few years I was on about DR/Thales supplied equipment - if anything at the moment I don't think DR/Thales will allow you to use your own modem as currently if you have issues they will connect to it and make the necessary changes. So if you supplied your own equipment you would have to give them access to be able to configure it.

Sorry I see what you mean with regards to Thales providing the equipment; in this case I am the same as yourself on the rumour front that there in the process of developing either a new router & modem or utilising the existing cellpipes.

I believe as long as you didn’t have any problems you should be OK as they can still see at the NOC that you’re in sync when using custom equipment but they just can’t configure ports for provision new services and ISP’s on the modem remotely etc. I guess you could just plug the cellpipe in to troubleshoot as and when but if you go with Origin there won’t be any problems I guess!

Sorry I see what you mean with regards to Thales providing the equipment; in this case I am the same as yourself on the rumour front that there in the process of developing either a new router & modem or utilising the existing cellpipes.

I believe as long as you didn’t have any problems you should be OK as they can still see at the NOC that you’re in sync when using custom equipment but they just can’t configure ports for provision new services and ISP’s on the modem remotely etc. I guess you could just plug the cellpipe in to troubleshoot as and when but if you go with Origin there won’t be any problems I guess!

We have had both a Draytek Vigor and a D-Link manufacturer testing unit to work on the network. We have tested these units on multiple customers in different locations.

It is possible and we would be more than happy to assist any customer who would like to use their own equipment. Dropping down to a one box solution would be better, we agree two devices can be a bit clunky.

The only problem that can occur using your own equipment is if we have to troubleshoot your connection. With VDSL routers being fairly new the standardisation is not there yet, so different manufacturers have a wide variety of options and settings. This causes problems with helping customers when they need it the most, and is why we still require a cellpipe for testing purposes.

List of Devices that have been proven to work, but not guaranteed.

• Vigor2750
  • Vigor2750n
  • D-Link DVA-N6670B

Hope this helps, and if anyone wants to discuss the details of VDSL routers and the setup involved, just give us a bell.

Origin

Do you know of any way of rack mounting the Thale box?

Do you know of any way of rack mounting the Thale box?

Hello,

I don't think the Thales modem is rack mountable within a standard 19" cabinet. However, it does have to key hole slots on the rear for wall mounting. I have wall mounted my unit and it was dead easy to do!

Hello,

I don't think the Thales modem is rack mountable within a standard 19" cabinet. However, it does have to key hole slots on the rear for wall mounting. I have wall mounted my unit and it was dead easy to do!

That's an idea!

Cheers.

anyone looked at VDSL2 Info

it would suggest we are on profile 8a - would be nice to have 30a

anyone looked at VDSL2 Info

it would suggest we are on profile 8a - would be nice to have 30a

Yep - BT are moving to 17a - they've just been given permission. I think it's something to do with interference with TV/Radio hams etc. Now analogue has switched off they can do it... Not 100% sure tbh but Infinity definitely going from a 40meg product to 80meg. If DR doesn't follow suit surely everyone will just jump over to BT once their cabs are enabled...

Also - OriginB - where is the info about your bandwidth/peering? :)

Yep - BT are moving to 17a - they've just been given permission. I think it's something to do with interference with TV/Radio hams etc. Now analogue has switched off they can do it... Not 100% sure tbh but Infinity definitely going from a 40meg product to 80meg. If DR doesn't follow suit surely everyone will just jump over to BT once their cabs are enabled...

Well Infinity is now available for my line so I'm going to be contacting BT to find best deals available and what needed to move over

I would never touch BT again, they could be 1gb/s and I still wouldn't be interested.

No point having fast internet if they throttle d/l speeds, also BT snoop on what you are doing.

I would never touch BT again, they could be 1gb/s and I still wouldn't be interested.

No point having fast internet if they throttle d/l speeds, also BT snoop on what you are doing.

Yeh BT suck as an ISP - but if you're just using them wholesale... I'm sure lots of ISPs will be able to use their FTTC infrastructure soon?

Well Infinity is now available for my line so I'm going to be contacting BT to find best deals available and what needed to move over

Yeh BT suck as an ISP - but if you're just using them wholesale... I'm sure lots of ISPs will be able to use their FTTC infrastructure soon?

I think just like BT/Openreach that Digital Region/Thales will be constantly looking at improving the services that they can offer using the existing FTTC technology and it’s how they go about tweaking and changing settings on the DSLAM inside the cabinets to how the network is utilised to its full potential. I guess that BT will always be that one step ahead and won’t want a potential competitor like DR to be providing better services before they can offer a similar service.

I know that DR are now looking to utilise the 17a VDSL2 profile that would then allow 100Mb to be kicked out of the cabinet. There latest news article does suggest that they don’t know whether they would allow the use of the full 100Mb where lines potentially could receive the service or will they follow BT and set the profiles to maximum of 80Mb.

I’ve been out and connected a number of people to various different services such as BT Infinity, Digital Region & Virgin Media. As ‘bonjon’ mentions the amount of throttling that BT impose on your service means that even if your line is capable of the full 40/80Mb service you will never receive it as the network has that much security that when downloading from a source it caps the speed and inspects the packets been transmitted through the network. I think all major ISP’s seem to do this but BT seem to really slow transfers down, I know Virgin and better but still impose some restrictions. On the other hand Digital Region ISP’s will give you the speed that your line supports and not impose network restrictions. The majority of packages provided are a completely unmonitored and uncontended meaning you can download what you want, I know even on BT Infinity your subject to a 100Gb fair usage policy which on a fibre based service is ridiculous. I would never move back to BT and I think to support the local economy through DR is a much better option.

Some of the big ISP’s are already utilizing the BT FTTC/P technology but I don’t know how they compare. I guess as they will be using the BT network you’re still relying on them to a point! You are best off going with DR if you ask me. It’s a local based business and all support is based in the local area and if you’re with Origin, who if you ask me are the best by far for residential packages then you can’t really go wrong. They are really helpful and pleasant and will help you from moving provider to getting online with them if you need it!

You put some valid points through, but for me the possible move back to BT is because of the issues I have had with my connection since the time I've had it and the amount of time and money I've spent in proving it is not my equipment or BT line at fault.

I know VDSL2 is different technology to ADSL but when I was with BT I recorded being connected for over 40 days without any problems, with Digital Region I haven't managed over 9 days.

I've even looked at the cost of switching providers on the network to determine if it is a problem with the network or isp, but if you wish to move you have to pay another setup fee. If I move to BT there is no such fee payable.

In regards to throttling, the streaming of BBC Iplayer, On Demand, etc, etc via the BT Vision box does not go against your bandwidth usage. I use less than 100GB a month (ie current is Month: 6.1 GB / 36.6 GB (Out / In)) even thought I heard a rumour that DR/Thales had been saying I used over 250GB a month and was a high user.

Support wise, yes the support from my ISP has improved drastically since end of September but it's also down to the reliability of the network and it's because of this I am now looking to move away from it.