Finally Digital Region is available in my area.

Some of our operations are carried out in South Yorkshire, but our customer/technical support is handled in our office in Reading, Berkshire.

Our support is full 24hrs, 7 days a week every day of the year (even Christmas day!). By this I mean real people sat at desks waiting taking calls or email support queries.

With regards to the TV point, you will understand the difference when we launch our TV service!

Don't you think it's a little unfair that as a relatively big business from elsewhere in the country, your hijacking our Digital Region (an initiative designed to bring business in South Yorks)?

I'll certainly be keeping it local.

Lets say we offered this super secret package, where would you guys like to find the prices and specs?

Lets have some ideas!

My (Oliver's) idea is (Redundant source code on the package page)

you already have redundent code on the package page.

well sort of. meta name keywords, repeating Digital region twice.

I'm looking forward to the 4+ mb/s download on usenet.

Same here :)

Although a mate in MK just got accepted for 100meg BT Infinity FTTP which is going up to 300meg next year. Kinda makes FTTC look a bit pants :P

BTW anyone who's already on it how do you find latency? Am I right in thinking FTTC uses heavy interleaving?

Same here :)

Although a mate in MK just got accepted for 100meg BT Infinity FTTP which is going up to 300meg next year. Kinda makes FTTC look a bit pants :P

BTW anyone who's already on it how do you find latency? Am I right in thinking FTTC uses heavy interleaving?

Who on earth needs 300meg? Apart from maybe NASA?

Latency flucuates - best ever had was 15ms - but now it goes between 24ms and 70ms sometimes higher

So are your usenet speeds better now? :)

My Usenet speeds are mind-boggling now. Mind you, my mind is easily boggled nowadays... I was managing on 3-3.5Mb before I moved to Origin, and this week I actually got a sustained 30-32Mb for a while (which was nice). But I do seem to be suffering from wildly fluctuating speeds - from that wonderful 32Mb down to less than 2Mb, but generally I can expect 15-20Mb. This fluctuation is a "known problem", apparently, so I hope things settle down soon...

My Usenet speeds are mind-boggling now. Mind you, my mind is easily boggled nowadays... I was managing on 3-3.5Mb before I moved to Origin, and this week I actually got a sustained 30-32Mb for a while (which was nice). But I do seem to be suffering from wildly fluctuating speeds - from that wonderful 32Mb down to less than 2Mb, but generally I can expect 15-20Mb. This fluctuation is a "known problem", apparently, so I hope things settle down soon...

Would suggest you start a speedwave and perform random tests that way you can see the fluctuations as this is probably not an Origin issue as a few people across different providers are seeing this at the moment and out of peek time everything is usually fine.

Well, as a result of this thread, and the fabulous CS I have had via e-mail and over the phone from Origin (thanks Neil!) I have signed up today.

As someone that has managed Call Centres for more years than I care to remember, I've never had an experience that has been so 'un-call-centerey'! Unscripted chat, pleasant e-mails, fab response times.

So, it seems like so far so good. I will, of course, be reporting back on how things go. :)

Dead excited now as I bought a new internet connected TV a couple of weeks back, that won't play iPlayer properly over my Virgin Media ADSL connection. On reflection , I may need to get things in perspective on the whole excitement frontage! :)

Well, having suffered from speeds between 800kbps and 900kbps for the last 10 years FTTC has finally arrived on my street. I've signed up with Origin. Having contacted both Origin and Ask4 I was more impressed with Origins attitude and they also offered a 24mb product with an option to upgrade later if I decided to.

The only thing I couldn't really understand is why the connection fees differ on each product.

Also just wondering if anyone knows if there are any combined modem routers available for FTTC yet as separate bridge and router are a bit bulky.

Just need to bide my time now for the service to go live.

currently there is no combined officially on the market for consumers - i did hear a rumour that DR/Thales were testing one but haven't heard anything else on this in the past few months

Well, having suffered from speeds between 800kbps and 900kbps for the last 10 years FTTC has finally arrived on my street. I've signed up with Origin. Having contacted both Origin and Ask4 I was more impressed with Origins attitude and they also offered a 24mb product with an option to upgrade later if I decided to.

The only thing I couldn't really understand is why the connection fees differ on each product.

Also just wondering if anyone knows if there are any combined modem routers available for FTTC yet as separate bridge and router are a bit bulky.

Just need to bide my time now for the service to go live.

currently there is no combined officially on the market for consumers - i did hear a rumour that DR/Thales were testing one but haven't heard anything else on this in the past few months

That’s not strictly true the best piece of equipment that I have come across so far if you’re looking to combine both the modem (usually be a Cellpipe on Digital Region) and the router (usually a Netgear on Origin) is a Draytek Vigor 2750.

This product is specifically designed for VDSL connections and combines 4 port gigabit switch for your network devices which is rather useful! Of course it has all the normal features and some more advance ones.

Like with any kind of good quality product and combining several products it isn’t the cheapest but its good value in the long run and makes the job that bit less cluttered!

If you ask me as well you have certainly made the right choice going with Origin! I’ve dealt with just about all the ISP’s and they are certainly the best if you ask me. The customer service is brilliant and if ever there is a problem no matter who you speak with they sort it out straight away! I’ve been connected for several months now and I’m really pleased with every aspect of the connection and Origin. You can acutally read my review now on Digital Region’s website.

Hope this info helps you!

That’s not strictly true the best piece of equipment that I have come across so far if you’re looking to combine both the modem (usually be a Cellpipe on Digital Region) and the router (usually a Netgear on Origin) is a Draytek Vigor 2750.

This product is specifically designed for VDSL connections and combines 4 port gigabit switch for your network devices which is rather useful! Of course it has all the normal features and some more advance ones.

Like with any kind of good quality product and combining several products it isn’t the cheapest but its good value in the long run and makes the job that bit less cluttered!

If you ask me as well you have certainly made the right choice going with Origin! I’ve dealt with just about all the ISP’s and they are certainly the best if you ask me. The customer service is brilliant and if ever there is a problem no matter who you speak with they sort it out straight away! I’ve been connected for several months now and I’m really pleased with every aspect of the connection and Origin. You can acutally read my review now on Digital Region’s website.

Hope this info helps you!

I know the drayek is and has been for the past few years I was on about DR/Thales supplied equipment - if anything at the moment I don't think DR/Thales will allow you to use your own modem as currently if you have issues they will connect to it and make the necessary changes. So if you supplied your own equipment you would have to give them access to be able to configure it.