Finally Digital Region is available in my area.

You won't regret it :) Just be aware, though, that the lead time is not entirely in Origin's hands - BT Openreach have to be involved. Unfortunately. I gave Origin my MAC on 30th September, and it was 19th October when the service went live. And I wasn't aware that BTO needed access to the premises to make the switchover until a BTO engineer turned up on the doorstep...

they don't need access as they only disconnect you at exchange then connect you at the cabinet.

they will only need access if there is a problem or need to change the socket over, but this is not required as you get the filters with the cellpipe

they don't need access as they only disconnect you at exchange then connect you at the cabinet.

they will only need access if there is a problem or need to change the socket over, but this is not required as you get the filters with the cellpipe

Which is what I would have thought... There was no problem or socket change; the engineer just connected some sort of meter to the test socket then went off to do the external stuff.

Sorry for hijacking the thread...

Would either of the two ISP's who offer a free router be prepared to discount the service if the router isn't required? I use a Draytek Vigor 2820Vn and a "Free" router would be no use to me.

It's unlikely we would (ASK4) as the router is a very small part of our costs and we're already offering a low connection fee as you can see on the previous page.

Does anyone know what the contract length is for Origin?

Does anyone know what the contract length is for Origin?

Hi,

18 months as standard. As I've said before, if you have any specific needs please let us know, we'll always see if there's a way for us to help out.

Ta!

@littlebigone do you have any staff in Sheffield?

It's unlikely we would (ASK4) as the router is a very small part of our costs and we're already offering a low connection fee as you can see on the previous page.

That's the problem. Cheap routers generally start to fall over once you start to use the connections to their full potential.

Especially those Thomson ones Plusnet/O2/Bethere seem to hand out.

That's the problem. Cheap routers generally start to fall over once you start to use the connections to their full potential.

Especially those Thomson ones Plusnet/O2/Bethere seem to hand out.

So what you're saying is (if I understand you correctly), if the cost of a router I don't want is already rolled in to the cost of my broadband, why shouldn't I have the choice to opt out and pay a little bit less at first?

See your point. Drop us an email and we'll see what we can do.

I take offence at that! I'm from Deepcar! (for my sins)

Did apologise earlier as made mistake when quoting - was supposed to be for littlebigone

Which is what I would have thought... There was no problem or socket change; the engineer just connected some sort of meter to the test socket then went off to do the external stuff.

when i got mine done the engineer only visited as was interested to see it working as I was the first to be setup on our cabinter afaik

@littlebigone do you have any staff in Sheffield?

they are all from berkshire see this post 19 (Paul Hardcastle song there - 19)

Our head office is in Reading Berkshire, but we do have people in South Yorkshire working for us. They are mainly based in Barnsley rather than Sheffield.

Our head office is in Reading Berkshire, but we do have people in South Yorkshire working for us. They are mainly based in Barnsley rather than Sheffield.

they aren't the technical support staff though are they?

So what you're saying is (if I understand you correctly), if the cost of a router I don't want is already rolled in to the cost of my broadband, why shouldn't I have the choice to opt out and pay a little bit less at first?

See your point. Drop us an email and we'll see what we can do.

That's my point! It may only be £2 a month difference, but that's a little extra in my homebrew fund.

You guys are looking like my ISP. I'm not going to be in a position to sign up yet, I'm moving in January as long as it all goes to plan.