Brown cow on mowbray street eighties

Brown Cow on the wicker was where the old ETU - EPTU; EEPTU after bailing out plumbing, and electronics unions out and amalgamating - held there branch nights. Every second Wednesday if memory serves. Jim Staniforth was secretary and D.J. (Joe) Wade was treasurer. Anyone recall these guys and where they are now?

Brown Cow on the wicker was where the old ETU - EPTU; EEPTU after bailing out plumbing, and electronics unions out and amalgamating - held there branch nights. Every second Wednesday if memory serves. Jim Staniforth was secretary and D.J. (Joe) Wade was treasurer. Anyone recall these guys and where they are now?

I knew Jim Staniforth many years ago. He was a sparky at Firth Browns. Didn't he live out Rotherham way?

Kelvinlad, Spot on about Jim, do not know where about in Rotherham, I can recall after some branch nights I gave him a lift into the bus station in Rotherham. "Wadey" was a sparky at River Don Works (north area maintenance) and lived somewhere on the way up to Graves Park.

Some names of regulars in the riverside pubs around late 70s early 80s come to mind.

Big Bri and little Bri, Woody, Curly, Ernest, Little Mick, Trev, Tony, Eddie, Charlie.

The pub boxer Benny

Wonder how many are still around?

I remember the pub having a trip to Majorca,

The function room upstairs, some good parties! some good mobile DJ's worked that room.

Edited by andrejuan

when i went in it was wendy & garth

Wendy and Garth were friends of ours from the 60s,they did their training at Wards Brewery managing several pubs in Sheffield!.I am not sure in what order but I know they took on the Pump Tavern when it was on its uppers full of low life whom Garth promptly barred!.They struck a deal with the brewery that they would keep any profit from food sales which were zero at that time!.When the Pump was built originally it was very popular for its snacks and sandwiches that 20 years on were non existent,Wendy was a brilliant cook,in no time after a referb the pub was booming,all the old crowd descended upon it!.When the brewery realised how much they were loosing on food sales they informed the couple they wanted the profit,typical greedy tactics!.At this time the Whetstone at the bottom of the Moor was available,it was in a right state ,torn seating no decorating for years full of motorcyclists!.Garth proposed that they would take it on with the same arrangement as before,the brewery having the Pumps food profits,so it came to pass,the Whetstone was done up the motorcycle Michaels barred and in they went!.All the clientle from the Pump transferred down to the Whetstone which was a success instantly much to the brewerys chagrin having been outsmarted!.We had some epic lock ins Wendy putting on the catering,game pie ,beef and pork joints sarnys you name it,the snooker table was full of food!.After about a year the brewery had its revenge,one Monday coming down from the living quarters they found the locks changed over some misdemeanour !.Garth now lives in a static caravan on the east coast,Wendy passed away a few years ago now!.

Garth must be getting on by now? If I remember correctly he was a small chap who always wore good quality suits.

Brown Cow on MoWbray Street. Eighties.

I used to go in the Brown Cow (Wards) in 1971 – 72 time, usually at Friday tea time. At that time I was working at Wigfall’s television depot also on Mowbray Street, at Bruce Works. On those Fridays us van lads and depot workers received our wage packets of between 5 and 6 quid (excluding overtime) and 3 or 4 of us would go boozin’. First port of call was the Brown Cow that had a half decent juke box with things like Maggie Mae / Reason to Believe by Rod Stewart, and the latest T-Rex stuff etc. I supped Newcastle Brown which I always ordered (requested) with a lamentable attempt at a Georgie accent. It got to the stage when one day the landlady threatened to have me thrown out if I didn’t start to speak properly. I quickly returned to my Sheffield accent and became a good boy after that.

Aftet Brown Cow we’d go in’t Manchester Hotel (also Ward’s) and play pinball and listen to Loop Di Love by Shag and Make me an Isle by Joe Dolan on’t music box. Then finally off to The Big Gun (Stones) for table football and playing tunes from the jukebox like, Tracy by The Cuff Links, Julie, Julie from the White Plains and What are you doing Sunday? By Tony Orlando and Dawn etc.

A few doors down from the Brown Cow was a post office (mentioned in post 11), and working in the post office was a lady aged about 60ish. I suppose she was paid a wage but she did sell sandwiches hot or cold. She also sold packs of fags that were piled up high on her side of the glass or grid (obviously). On the odd occasion I would go into the P.O. and order a fried egg sandwich.

Mentioning the 'Brown Cow' (Mowbray Street) along with the old Manchester Hotel (Nursery Street) a few yards away and the old 'Harlequin' (Johnson Street) around the next corner. That was three 'Ward's' pubs in a row ! Sounds like a 'neet art' on it's own.

Hi andreajuan yes Garth was always dressed in smart suits as we all were back then it was the style!.He was on the small side but that didn,t hold him back,I remember a group of the motorcyclists paying him a visit one night to thank him for barring them!.He went outside and knocked the ringleader down the road for about twenty five yards halting the protest!.When Garth had a few beers he thought he was Tony Bennet always singing "I left my heart in San Francisco"!.When he was young he was the scourge of Sheffield taxi drivers always doing a runner until one night he decamped straight into a telegraph pole knocking him out,it never deterred him though the last time he did it was at a lock in reunion at the Chantry Woodseats and he was in his late 60s then,the taxi driver knocked on the door at 2am asking if we knew him which of course we didn,t!.:roll::nono:

Mentioning the 'Brown Cow' (Mowbray Street) along with the old Manchester Hotel (Nursery Street) a few yards away and the old 'Harlequin' (Johnson Street) around the next corner. That was three 'Ward's' pubs in a row ! Sounds like a 'neet art' on it's own.

It was, most blokes did at least all three, often returning to the first at the end of the night.

the youngsters at the time tended to start and end at the Highway up road.

---------- Post added 01-01-2017 at 16:40 ----------

Hi andreajuan yes Garth was always dressed in smart suits as we all were back then it was the style!.He was on the small side but that didn,t hold him back,I remember a group of the motorcyclists paying him a visit one night to thank him for barring them!.He went outside and knocked the ringleader down the road for about twenty five yards halting the protest!.When Garth had a few beers he thought he was Tony Bennet always singing "I left my heart in San Francisco"!.When he was young he was the scourge of Sheffield taxi drivers always doing a runner until one night he decamped straight into a telegraph pole knocking him out,it never deterred him though the last time he did it was at a lock in reunion at the Chantry Woodseats and he was in his late 60s then,the taxi driver knocked on the door at 2am asking if we knew him which of course we didn,t!.:roll::nono:

I had heard he was a "bit of a lad" in his time, and remember him chatting to my Dad about his plans for the pub, he made a go of it as I remember. Of course in the Cow he was a tenant not a manager.

It was, most blokes did at least all three, often returning to the first at the end of the night.

the youngsters at the time tended to start and end at the Highway up road.

---------- Post added 01-01-2017 at 16:40 ----------

I had heard he was a "bit of a lad" in his time, and remember him chatting to my Dad about his plans for the pub, he made a go of it as I remember. Of course in the Cow he was a tenant not a manager.

Any one go in the 'Big Gun' when Ken Cooney ran it and who had the old 'Manchester Hotel' before Pete and Janet Flynn -perhaps 1981- he left to run a 'very successful' Fish and chip shop in -I think- Kimberworth, Rotherham ?

Would that be Garth Hersey? I know he ran the Pump, if it's the same guy, in the mid 70's when I worked for his dad John who was part owner of Group Fabrications, John only had one leg and was also quite small in stature.

Hi Torontony yes it's the same bloke old age hasnt mellowed him one bit,the only time I see him nowadays is when he comes to Sheffield to attend funerals,some old friends are dying like flies!.He sports a fantastic sun tan,he swears he,s never been near a sun bed,another Grimms fairy tale!.