Brown cow on mowbray street eighties

anyone remember the brown cow on mowbray st early eightys::help:

this was a wards house and very popular with workers when there was works round about

used to go in at dinner time after a. m shift,i remember they had a good darts team at the time

Oh yes !!!

That would be the time Masie and Les had it. (late 70s - mid 80s)

My husbands great parents were landlords of the Brown Cow - the Wicker - is that the same one??

My husbands great parents were landlords of the Brown Cow - the Wicker - is that the same one??

No smary,

two different pubs, but not that far apart from one another.

when i went in it was wendy & garth

Wendy and Garth took it after M+L.

Harry and Ivy Saul were landlord and landlady around the eighties, they had a son called Michael the bar staff were Wendy and Lynda two sisters,

Wendy worked there for many years

Harry and Ivy Saul were landlord and landlady around the eighties, they had a son called Michael the bar staff were Wendy and Lynda two sisters,

Wendy worked there for many years

Harry and Ivy retired around 1977, moved to Batemoor/Jordanthorpe area.

I remember Wendy, but don't remember a son, although Masie and Les had a son called Michael.

My Nan and Grandad live on Mowbray Street in the 50s and the Brown Cow was his local then, but that is all I know about it - sorry.

My Nan and Grandad live on Mowbray Street in the 50s and the Brown Cow was his local then, but that is all I know about it - sorry.

They would know the old lady who ran the post office then. Although she wouldn't have been old in the 50s :hihi:

She was there for many years !!

Brown Cow on MoWbray Street. Eighties.

I used to go in the Brown Cow (Wards) in 1971 – 72 time, usually at Friday tea time. At that time I was working at Wigfall’s television depot also on Mowbray Street, at Bruce Works. On those Fridays us van lads and depot workers received our wage packets of between 5 and 6 quid (excluding overtime) and 3 or 4 of us would go boozin’. First port of call was the Brown Cow that had a half decent juke box with things like Maggie Mae / Reason to Believe by Rod Stewart, and the latest T-Rex stuff etc. I supped Newcastle Brown which I always ordered (requested) with a lamentable attempt at a Georgie accent. It got to the stage when one day the landlady threatened to have me thrown out if I didn’t start to speak properly. I quickly returned to my Sheffield accent and became a good boy after that.

Aftet Brown Cow we’d go in’t Manchester Hotel (also Ward’s) and play pinball and listen to Loop Di Love by Shag and Make me an Isle by Joe Dolan on’t music box. Then finally off to The Big Gun (Stones) for table football and playing tunes from the jukebox like, Tracy by The Cuff Links, Julie, Julie from the White Plains and What are you doing Sunday? By Tony Orlando and Dawn etc.

A few doors down from the Brown Cow was a post office (mentioned in post 11), and working in the post office was a lady aged about 60ish. I suppose she was paid a wage but she did sell sandwiches hot or cold. She also sold packs of fags that were piled up high on her side of the glass or grid (obviously). On the odd occasion I would go into the P.O. and order a fried egg sandwich.